Removing carpet staples?

• shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Does anyone have some unconventional ideas for removing carpet staples from a wood floor? I’m planning on refinishing the hardwood floor in two bedrooms of the GF’s house and I need to pull all of the staples. The staples around the perimeter of the bedroom were no problem, but for some reason the staples in the closet keep breaking and my patience is running thin. I have been using a needle-nose pliers against a hammer laid down for leverage.

Is there a tool that someone knows of, or another method, to remove staples more efficiently? Thanks,

Lars

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

I use a wide blade screwdriver, sharpened on one side of the blade to get under the staple. The wide blade pulls the “legs” of the staple straight up and out, a needle nose pliers bends the legs in and the legs are pulled at an angle toward the center of the staple. Also use a smaller fulcrum point, like a pencil thickness or so.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

i’ve used one of those hand held garden tools that you use too pop weeds out and it seemed to work better than anything else i tride

gary_wellman
    South Metro

They actually make a staple removal tool for this purpose. Can be purchased at Menards, Home Depot, Etc.

Basically, it is a modified screwdriver. Works very well.

When you go in to the store, ask them for a wood staple remover. Should help!

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Quote:

They actually make a staple removal tool for this purpose.

That’s what I was hoping for! I hope it works as good as it sounds.

Lars

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Wide blade screw driver and a good pair of pliers. Not fun!

Jami

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

The tool at Menards is probably called a tack remover.

JG15

Always had the problem of finding a way to remove the carpet staples easily and tried everything from pliers, side cutters, screwdrivers, ice scraper, etc. And no matter what tool I used I was always on my hands and knees pulling them out. I did a little more deep searching online and found a tool called The Staple Popper. I bought it to try it out and I have to say I was not disappointed at all. The tool worked great did everything I wanted it to and the best part was I wasn’t on my hands knees anymore ripping out staples. Thats right its a stand up tool that rolls along the floor and you slide the teeth under the staple and pop them out. I highly recommend people to try out this tool and can buy it at http://www.thestaplepopper.com. There is also a video on the website showing the tool in action too.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Always had the problem of finding a way to remove the carpet staples easily and tried everything from pliers, side cutters, screwdrivers, ice scraper, etc. And no matter what tool I used I was always on my hands and knees pulling them out. I did a little more deep searching online and found a tool called The Staple Popper. I bought it to try it out and I have to say I was not disappointed at all. The tool worked great did everything I wanted it to and the best part was I wasn’t on my hands knees anymore ripping out staples. Thats right its a stand up tool that rolls along the floor and you slide the teeth under the staple and pop them out. I highly recommend people to try out this tool and can buy it at http://www.thestaplepopper.com. There is also a video on the website showing the tool in action too.

Wholey Carp Brink Man! Where can I buy a Grosse of these??

Have I got a market for these.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Having experience with pulling staples I can see the tool works very well. No matter how you look at it theres still going to be the occasional staple where one side of the staple pulls easier then the other side and doesn’t fully pull from the floor, but considering how fast it works its alot better then the alternative, Ive got time to go back and pull the few straglers with a pliers. Its a good tool and the flooring guys ought to love it.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

i used a roofing shovel. lol. since i have one much easier and pops them good. if they are ment to break they definately will.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.