Conceal/Carry

• eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Maybe, just maybe, he ran away with her gun.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

2fishy…the person you would want to talk to is Sgt Hogan 608-785-5962.

Please do let us know what you find out.

2Fishy4U

Brain,

I got a reply a few minutes ago. Makes me feel like a bit of a fool, but won’t be the first time.

The victim in the stabbing initially reported that she was assaulted, stabbed and the suspect tried to take her vehicle. This was not the case however, she stabbed herself. This is also why you did not see it in the media – our local media very rarely covers suicide or attempted suicide information. The young lady has a history of mental problems and depression. She provided us with a full statement and due to her illness it is likely that she will not be prosecuted for the initial false information she provided in the case.

Respectfully,

Captain Michael Brohmer

Investigative Services Bureau

La Crosse Police Dept.

608 789-7220

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I admire your courage! It just goes to show you, things are not always what they appear, right Gianni! I rest my case.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It is good that the real issue came out. But my question and (Argument? I don’t feel I am arguing…)is still the same. It could and does happen where a law abiding person by happenstance is injected into a scenario where action needs to be taken to stop it. What would you like to see done? What would you do? I don’t wnat or need an answer by anyone. Just think.
    I talked with Brian K over lunch today about this subject after returning from a 100 round .40 cal. breakfast at Bill’s. My thought process leads me to a grey area where well meaning law abiding perfectly leagally licensed CC folks intervene in a situation by use of a firearm either brandishing or using a firearm to stop the assault. One has to be totally cognizant of the line between protection of one’s self and family, to what I call the “Enforcer Mentality” where you in essence are trying to do the work of a LEO. That is not the thing to be doing. Both legally and ethically. In my opinion.
    There are a million different scenarios, and how they play out are different each time. With CC, I have a say in how they end. I am fully aware it could be with my life or a bystander. That has to be weighed in a fraction of a second.
    Tuck

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

The answer to the ‘what I would I do’ does not lend itself to a single answer, given the infinite number of scenarios one might encounter. Self Preservation is one of the most if not the most powerful instinct instilled a person. I myself would find it much easier to pull the trigger if my life or I Da’s was under immediate threat than I probably would when encountering another’s plight. That is not to say I would not get involved, that again would depend on the circumstances. This is not a ‘one decision fits all situations’ matter. These situations, as I said before, reqiuire the Judgment of Solomon. Choosing to engage and mistaking the Assailant or shooting the Victim accidentally while they struggle is a major concern and will have dire consequences. That is the kind of thing that will bankrupt you and put you away. The prospect of meeting a new ‘friend’ shortly after the steel doors slam shut has very sobering affect on me. Avoiding the de rigueur of a prisoner bonding je ne sais quois is a pretty powerful deterrent for me.
    As far as concern someone else’s loved one goes, probably all parties involved are someone else’s loved one. I in all probability would not take the time to reflect on that then, now maybe, but not then. The decision, as you point out, may have to be made in a nano second. I suggest that all of this should be carefully weighed before one decides to get the permit and carry a concealed firearm. For me the decision was simple and singular, Self Preservation. Being a good Samaritan quite frankly did not enter into it.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

So…..

Gianni sez: If I saw a man stabbing a woman in a parking lot, I would intervene.

If I saw a woman stabbing herself in a parking lot, I would intervene.

In both cases, the state of Iowa sees fit to deny CC to everyone, so I would have to rely on my secret ninja powers and a fourth-degree blackbelt in tire-iron (well, in the second case I would be relying on a strong possibility that I could beat up a girl).

Looking back, though, I do realize now that I pulled the ‘old’ adjective from my hoo-hoo-dilly. Probably just an association I make between hospitals and little old ladies, but nothing intentional. Perhaps my subconscious is more subversive in these arguments than I am, but I doubt it.

I am curious to know what Beach Brian was getting at with the link. It’s the kind of story where you are forced into the uncomfortable decision between calling them heroes or fools. Based on your post, my guess is that your conclusion was different than mine (and, apparently the Texas legislature).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mark Allen Wilson

An American Hero

1953 – 2005

Quote:

Gianni sez: If I saw a man stabbing a woman in a parking lot, I would intervene.

If I saw a woman stabbing herself in a parking lot, I would intervene.

Briank sez: I may intervene…but without a gun as this also appears to be your claim…

Briank sez: It’s hard to feed your family when your a dead hero…(responding to the link posted)

We may agree to disagree, but the incident in LaCrosse if a prime example.

Good Sam runs to the womans aid. Lady puts up a fuss. Next good Sam comes along and shoots good Sam #1.

Briank can’t go fishing with Good Sam 1, he’s dead. Good Sam 3 is locked up. Whacko lady is in a hospital.

Gianni? does anyone else in your family like to fish?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.