Other Than Garmin?

• Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

For you guys running other than Garmin electronics on the ice, what software are you using to marry the data to your PC and backing up your waypoints, routes, etc? I’ve been using a Garmin 62 series coupled with Basecamp to plan my on lake activities for new locations as well as back up spots, travel routes, etc. However, I think I would be better served with a larger than handheld display with the ATV on the ice but don’t want to give up compatibility with my PC. My concern is that in changing to a different platform I may be giving up some functionality and efficiency. While I’ve asked this question in the context of ice fishing, it’s fully applicable to the soft water season as well. Your thoughts?

brad-o
    Mankato

If you want to stick with Garmin, go with a Nuvi and a Lakemaster chip. Other wise I would do the Humminbird 386ci Would be a great little unit on a wheeler.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

If you want to stick with Garmin, go with a Nuvi and a Lakemaster chip. [/quote

Can you really do this? Does it have to be an older unit?

FDR

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I converted my HDS-7 to run with my snowmobile. It’s awesome. Should work even better on a wheeler.

brad-o
    Mankato

Quote:

Quote:

If you want to stick with Garmin, go with a Nuvi and a Lakemaster chip. [/quote

Can you really do this? Does it have to be an older unit?

FDR

You can as long as you have a Lakemaster Garmin compatible chip, and you nuvi has a sd or micro sd slot. you do have to change the maps in setting to up north and select the sd card.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

If you want to stick with Garmin, go with a Nuvi and a Lakemaster chip. Other wise I would do the Humminbird 386ci Would be a great little unit on a wheeler.

I’ve already got a Nuvi (1450 or some such) for my truck but when I link it with Basecamp the interface waypoint management options change that do not allow creating, transferring or deleting waypoints from the PC.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

I converted my HDS-7 to run with my snowmobile. It’s awesome. Should work even better on a wheeler.

What PC based software are you using for data management and spot planning? I’ve played around with an Elite 5 in the past thought that it might work if rigged for my ATV and the software was functional.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Come on guys, there have to be more folks here using non-Garmin that also use their PC for data management and pre-planning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.