Marcum LX-7 transducer use in open water

• winterbite

I will be heading to Canada next week for a Showalter’s fly-in and want to bring my Marcum LX-7 but can’t afford the high speed transducer. Has anyone used the factory iceducer with any luck?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

its good for jiggin. i just toss the ducer over the side on my lx-9 whenever we are jiggin.

hunter1723

I would see it being more beneficial to use the high speed transducer instead of the other setup. Might be more of a inconvienience though.

jasonjabe
    La Crosse/St. Charles

any tips as a way to keep it mounted somehow to the boat?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

what are you trying to keep mounted to the boat? the ducer or the control? the ducer, if its the ice ducer, you wouldnt want that out there taking a beating while you skip across the lake since it wouldnt be a secure mount. as for the control, you can buy mounting brackets for that.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

The ducer can be hose clamped to a 2×2 and then C clamped the the transom. I can not speak for speed use but if the ducer pole was then clamped so it was flush with the bottom of the hull trolling speeds would never be an issue. I guess I would carefully experiment with speed. A piece of rubber with the hose clamp(s) would hold ducer better.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have used the puck over the side of the boat on the LX-7 before specifically in Canada while drifting. Running at any speed would just damage the puck style transducer. I would also suggest getting on of those noodle float things kids use in the water, cut a piece about 8″-10″ long and zip tie to the tranducer cord so it will act like a float over the side of the boat.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Quote:

I have used the puck over the side of the boat on the LX-7 before specifically in Canada while drifting. Running at any speed would just damage the puck style transducer. I would also suggest getting on of those noodle float things kids use in the water, cut a piece about 8″-10″ long and zip tie to the tranducer cord so it will act like a float over the side of the boat.

Cal hit the nail on the head. Tubular pipe insulation works well zipped tied on each end as well. Anchored or drift jigging are the only techniques I’ve used the set up with the ice ducer.

ekruger01

will the lx7 ice ducer read through an aluminum hull, i know my vex did… I havent tried it with the lx7 yet but I siliconed a 4inch diameter PVC tube to the bottom of my boat, I could add water and set the vex ducer in the “cup” and it would read… Then no worrys about the ducer getting beat up.

chris foster

hey… a little late on the reply but i have the lx9 and it reads thru the hull of my aluminum no problem. reads fine at speed and only has issues reading if its real choppy while running at speed. trolling, drifting and anchoring are best, but it can be done. just try to keep some water in the back corner of the boat and rest the ducer on the hull. sand and clean the area you plan to use and try not to have anything between the ducer and the hull. you can use a ziplock bag and put some water in it as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.