The bite in Iraq

• BomberA

Excellent story. I don’t want to offend anyboby, but maybe if they taught everyone over there the happines of fishing they would quit strapping bombs to their chests.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You won’t offend me, I’m on the opposite end of this deal. I say just make one big parking lot out of the place. I know my opinion isn’t politically correct. Just a redneck view.

I’m really tired of the media downplaying all the good we are doing in Iraq. I know it’s easier to make a story out of bad news, but come on. Let’s hear about the schools they are rebuilding, running water, etc….

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Awesome story.

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t ‘spose it would be PC to leave Iraq alone and make a parking lot out of the media?

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

How about the one that didn’t get away! Our local National Guard unit just returned and I had the pleasure of talking to one of them that was not only lucky enough to fish in Iraq but landed a huge bass as well!

Sgt Ricky Bontreger and some other members of his unit were stationed next to Trophy Lake, one of Sadaam’s private lakes. He told me that when they walked by the lake they saw numerous big fish and decided to fish for them. They sent requests to various tackle companies and Daiwa was nice enough to send them several rod and reels as well as some lures. They then approached their superiors about fishing in the lake, their higher ranking officers were reluctant at first to allow it. (I suppose if someone was killed fishing there was going to be some explaining to do) Ricky told them that a mortar could hit them at any time so
    they might as well be doing something they enjoyed. They finally allowed them to fish on their off time as long as they posted guards while fishing.

They fished several times catching carp and milk bass. Most around the 4 or 5 lb range. One day they decided to video tape their fishing adventures. After throwing his line in he hooked into a monster. For the next 45 minutes he battled the fish, many times running up and down the shore to keep from braking off or losing all his line. Finally he was able to land the fish, a 48 lb milk bass over 50 inches long. Eventually the fish was given to about 30 local citizens (who already had a fire started) to eat.

At the end of their assignment they left the rod and reels for the next company to use. Except for a couple of rods they gave to some Iraqi youth so they could fish.

Ricky also told me how the locals were afraid to fish “Sadaams Lake” even after he was captured. They were finally able to get a few of them to fish before they left. Also all the fish caught were gave to the locals. Both Field and Stream and WIsconsin Outdoorsman have expressed an interest in this story.

For those of you wondering what a milk bass looks like a I would say it’s a cross between a Striped Bass and a Carp.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Quote:

I don’t ‘spose it would be PC to leave Iraq alone and make a parking lot out of the media?

My thoughts exactly. The biased newsmedia pretty well forgets all the good things we do, and makes us all look like barbarians with their skewed, extremely political view. Take it from personal experience, it’s impossible to fight a war with CNN filming every move you make.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.