LeadCore

• eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Hey guys I’m thinking about giving lead core another try. I tried it a few years ago but I never really did get the hang of it. I was thinking the limit creek 5′ rods and some size 47 Daiwa’s would be a good start. Is spooling up as hard as I made it last time or how do you guys get it so the colors match on multiple rods. Or doesn’t that matter much. And do I need to fill the spools like I do with mono all the way up or is it more important to watch the colors and adjust line by the counters from there. And finally speed. I don’t have a kicker and usually troll with my 115 with only gets down to about 2.3-2.5 mph. I’ve heard the line actually rises the faster you go which I think is what threw me off before. I don’t mind trolling with my electric if working slower like 1.5-2.0 would work better. Any help is appreciated.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If you’re going to use linecounters, I see no reason to make sure the colors match exactly. How many colors are you looking to put on?

I use 27’s most of the time with 5 colors, and about 150 yards of 10lb XT backing. The general rule is at 2mph you’ll get around 5′ of depth. At 2.5 I usually see about 3-4 feet per color. Best thing to do if you can’t slow down, is to let out line until you hit bottom so you can get a guage on how many feet per color you’re getting. Find a 10′ sand flat, and troll that until you get a feeling for how much lead you need to get down 10′. That’s a good concrete number to use since you can divide by 10 to get the amount of line per foot.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Get longer rods- sea lines are good- thinking about checking out the high end shimano reels because sometimes drag is tricky when working with long rods. If you are working lakes without kicker check out Amish outfitters trolling bags- they are fantastic. If you are more of a lake guy start messing with snap weights with flatlines. Very accurate even at high speeds. With lead core you need to slow down or you will have to let out too much line and lose control of variables.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

talk to dean- wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he spooled them equally for you and tied the leads you need to get bit. Use info from other posts above and you will get bit!

woodenfish
    st.croix valley

If you are only fishing p4 27s will work. If you fish the croix get 47s. I dont use any backing I fill the spool with 10 colors of lead. Rods dont have to be anything special just a soft tip and good backbone. Leads can be as short as 6ft. Keep it simple!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I use leadcore nearly every time out. Keep in mind, I’m probably doing some different fishing than you as I fish reservoirs down here in NE.

If you use the 47LC, it’ll hold about 10 colors of 18lb lead. I put just enough mono on the reel to keep it from slipping, then tie on the lead and roll it up. You can use leaders from 5 or 6′ all the way to 20 or I’ve heard of guys using much longer ones. I prefer Fireline for my leaders.

I don’t know that I agree with the ‘5 foot per color addition to depth’ theory. I sure don’t seem to be getting that depth at 2mph. But one thing I love, that lead allows you to do, is when you idle your kicker, take your motor out of gear, etc, the lead will sink those cranks over drops and areas like that where fish are hiding, and trigger them to bite. Playing with speeds can be effective when using lead.

And yes, you’re right, line will rise with additional speed. When I see trees, I boost the trees, and usually do ok, depending on the trees, of course.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

the 27s should be fine for 5 colors. i run penn 320s (47s) with 10 colors and stick 10 yards of braid backing under it.

personally i like longer rods. the limit creek rods are good as are the berkley air rods. I like the 10′ varieties.

i’m not a big fan of LCs as if i’ve got a color count i know my drop at a given speed. in reality, i let it out until i’m ticking bottom and then adjust from there according to the topography i’m covering.

i run 30′ leaders, but on P4 that’s over kill. 6′ is most probably enuf.

for speed control, if you’ve not got a sock, just use a couple of 5 gal pails on a rope. each pail knocks about .5 mph off my speed most days.

get on the water and get some experience under your belt.

fireline
    Rochester

What pound test does everyone use ? Thanks

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

there are three popular poundages, 18, 27, 45, the most popular being 27#. the sink rate is identical as there is as much lead in 18# as there is in 45#. Only the strength of the dacron/nylon sheath changes.

personally, i’d suggest 18# for around here and you’ll be able to squeeze a couple more colors onto your reel…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.