storing plastics

• phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

I have always kept my plastics in the resealable bags they come in, and have kept good for years.

How well do they hold up if kept in a tackle box instead? as long as i keep the colors seperated, so they don’t bleed out onto one another, will they stay soft?

or am i better off just keeping them in the bags they come in?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I keep mine in the zip bags they come from, then put same baits in gallon zip lock bags to keep organized. Ringworms with rings/ Fluke, gulp, XXX for Lake MI / Tubes with Tubes /…. Just easier for me to grab and go as needed. Then I have a series of soft bags that I can throw a plano of jigs and a few zip lock bags of plastics in if I get in someone elses’ boat

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Per advice from other IDO’ers, I store mine is a plastic shoe box container.

so, you’re just putting the bags of them in those containers then?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I used to keep the bags in a plastic tote. I now take them out of the bags and keep the plastics in plano trays. No problems with bleeding, melting, etc. This system works really well for me — I’d never go back.

A standard shoe box is roughly 15″ long by 7″ wide. I am able to file my plastics upright in a plastic shoe box and keep them in there original packaging.

When I look for a certain plastic, I can just sort through them like a card catalogue.

Personally this way works much easier than using a plastics bag or a tote but to each his own I guess…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had good luck storing them in clear plastic plano type boxes as long as I dont mix and match brands. The problem with some plastic tackle boxes is they react with worm plastic resulting in a melting mess. I’ve had this happen in nearly every old style multi-tray tackle box I have owned.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I leave the plastics in the bags they come in and store them in zip bags like this. I also have a few “tool bags” similar to what is pictured here that work well. One for ringworms, another for paddletails, another for flukes, another for frogs…

This is not a pic of one of my bags but a stock photo

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I used to keep the bags in a plastic tote. I now take them out of the bags and keep the plastics in plano trays. No problems with bleeding, melting, etc. This system works really well for me — I’d never go back.

do the plastics seem to keep just as long as if kept in the sealed bag?

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Has anyone tried the worm binder approach? I looked at the Plano soft “speed bag” . It won’t do the job.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

If you take guests out quite a bit- less out in the boat is best- when the draggin/plastic pitchin bite is poppin I keep one tub with all potential plastics that will be used, and one deep Plano box with every jig size and color necessary separated in marked baggies out and it’s easy for buddies to take care of themselves while operating the boat or trying to
    get bit.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Has anyone tried the worm binder approach? I looked at the Plano soft “speed bag” . It won’t do the job.

They don’t make a big enough binder for the amount of plastics I have. Rubbermaid boxes work best for me. I used to use plano trays, but I would need to carry 20 of them to carry all my plastics.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Your right about the size problem. I am thinking of using two large rings that open and a hole puncher and use the original package for storage.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Sorry- to actually answer your question I personally feel they keep better in baggies than in trays- however u can bleed some pretty unique colors in the trays over periods of time.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Your right about the size problem. I am thinking of using two large rings that open and a hole puncher and use the original package for storage.

that sounds like a potentially good idea. Make sure you post up how it works.

ekruger01

I use spiderwire worm binders that I got at Dick’s. they work great and will fit a ton of plastics.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

Quote:

I have always kept my plastics in the resealable bags they come in, and have kept good for years.

ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

the pyromaniac

[Quote]They don’t make a big enough binder for the amount of plastics I have.

I have that problem too. I have them all in a big duffel bag.

kris_brantner
    My river

just finshed organizing the shoe boxes that go into my boat. can cram alot of plastics in one box

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Now were talking, another soft bait fanatic……..

Exactly how I do it also. If I fish out of someone elses boat, I grab what I think I am going to need and throw individual bags into something similar to the tool bag in a previous post.

Now Kris, let’s talk about your DVD collection

Ron

kris_brantner
    My river

Haha. Almost every waterfowl movie ever made. I have even more old vhs tapes

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.