Duct Cleaning Service…recommendations????

• orangewhip3x
    Blaine

Can anybody recommend a company to clean duct work? A recent experience with a local company resulted in them trying the bait and switch…they quoted one price and then when they came out to do the work they wanted more than double be cause “more work was needed” according to them. Thoughts?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How important is this, really? I want opinions from those not in the business. I have never had it done in two homes and dont know what I am missing, if anything. Thx.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

How important is this, really? I want opinions from those not in the business. I have never had it done in two homes and dont know what I am missing, if anything. Thx.

Not too much imho. I looked at this when my kid was having allergy issues, came to the conclusion that it was not that important and in some sense even could make things worse by stirring things up. We focused on getting rid of the carpet and buying allergen low bedding, basically just his bedroom. He’s doing much better. I had numerous quotes, every one of which held no water by the time they came out and did an estimate, always up charges for this or that. Do some homework before you shell out the money, ask yourself why your doing it and then ask the experts (i.e. if it’s for allergies ask a reputable allergist doc).

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

I have mine cleaned every two years. I think it’s good to get dust, pet hair, etc. out of the ducts. I use a company called AAA Wicks. They clean the ducts and blow out the cold air returns. A 2500 sq foot home should be around $150.00.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

First, I’m (my company) in the business, so take it for what it’s worth…

How often?
    When ever get get dirty enough to clean, that means if you have 4 dogs, three cats and run a day care center next to a gravel pit, your going to need it more often than a elderly couple with no traffic though the house.

Spend a few minutes and remove a few registers and use a flashlight and mirror to look at the ductwork, you find a light coating I’d leave well enough alone.
    Lots of crud, have them cleaned.

I tell most people to have it done every 10+ years, that’s the average family, not the multiple pets/kids scenario.

Using your flashlight will tell you when better.

Don’t forget the A-coil for your air conditioning, not uncommon for it to need cleaning more often than the ductwork.

Al

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Wicks, every 6-8 yrs

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

I had my ducts cleaned two years ago and am very glad I did. The air flow increased through my system, not just thinking it did, it actually did. I used to have one bedroom that was always cold/hot depending on the season ( my bedroom) and now it is not. My home is 50+ years old and the system had never been cleaned. The before after pictures said alot. There was even some insulation in the duct work that they found and removed. There was little problem they had. When cleaning at the furnace they broke a regulator on the evap coil. They immediately called in for an emergency repair and paid the cost of it,which totaled more then what I was paying them. I am very pleased with what I got for my money and now my system removes even more dust/ pet hair etc than before. Imho I believe it is worth every penny that I spent, my wife’s allergies have never been better. So depending on how old your system is I would consider it.
    Good Luck

scottjasion

While some have discussed the benefits, or lack of for having your ducts cleaned, no one answered your question. I too am in the duct cleaning business. My customers often come back to me after cleaning, unsolicited, and tell me how much a difference it has made in their home and in their life to breathe better air in their home. That said, (not knowing where you live), you can find qualified duct cleaners at http://www.nadca.com, put in your zip, and those who are certified will come up in your area. Or, you can check out http://www.ductz.com for a very qualified DUCTZ professional who services your area (there’s a map and zip finder there too). You will want to find a certified, quality duct cleaner, and stay away from the “too good to be true price” coupon guys…It will typically cost between $500 to $1000, and take 5 to 7 hours to complete a typical one-system home, cleaning the ducts, trunks, pans, internal evaporation coils, blowers etc (All air stream surfaces need to be cleaned to get the benefits). If you are in Maryland, I’d be happy to discuss it further with you, just give me a call. -Scott of DUCTZ of the Upper bay Region, 410-692-9775

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.