Its nighttime in the daytime

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

With a large storm overhead, it is literally pitch black out right now as rain pours down, and is scheduled to all day. As soon as we all thought the lake and river were clearing up, well here comes more. Already my mind is thinking how to react to this rainfall on the lake and St. Louis river alike. Looking at the MODIS image from yesterday, there is a thin line of mud along the south shore, and for the rest of the western basin it is pretty dang clear. Not the steryotypical Lake Superior clear, but a lot better than we have seen as of late.

Depending on the amount of rain, The rivers along the north and south shore alike will be dumping out a lot of water and yes that will attract fish because bugs and other food will be leaving the river as well. On the North shore, Lake trout and salmon will move in closer, not right away, it may take them a day or two to react but there will be a push of fish that will move closer. So if those fish arent going out in deeper water, you have another option to try!

Cranks such as Husky Jerks or x raps on boards should prove to produce as a lot of food will be on or near the surface once it exits the rivers.

Out deeper, pink and white spoons and cranks are producing in the 40 to 60 feet of water area. The lake trout have been slow as of late, but as everyone knows salmon are present.

I expect those kings from last weekend to be in a similiar spot, but may have pushed a little farther up the shore as they follow bait and water tepmps.

The South shore in waters less than 50 feet will continue to be a mud fest and fihsing will be tough in that area. The salmon and lake trout have continually dissipated around here so I wouldnt spend much time around there at all as other areas will be producing better.

Once the storm passes I will further assess the damage but i dont think its going to be all that pretty, but will give us some mud contours to work with out there and may hold these salmon around longer. It is a constant downpour as I type and there is no sign of it letting up anytime soon.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Nasty looking storm Grant !!!

When we came thru for the RLHB Trip the rivers were blowing then as well !!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.