Framing requirements for bunks in ice shack?

• emdoubleyou08
    MN

So I told my dad to put some bunks in the 7×12 ice shack since he is retired now, but once he started trying to lay it out he said the framing in there is 2×2’s 24″ on center and he didn’t think two bunks on one end of the house could be supported. Can anyone confirm that bunks are a bad idea in this case? If not, does anyone have pictures of bunks they built in a smaller house like this?

Thanks!

deertracker

Could they be built so they are self supported with 2×4 legs? Then just attach them to the walls so they don’t move when towing. You wouldn’t be able to fold them up but you would have bunks.
    DT

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

My house is built with 2/2’s but 16″ on Ctr and both on one end I just framed lower bunk with 2/4’s made sure I got 2 3″ screws in each of the vertical studs also made it to flip up for battery storage ect. Did same with top bunk and there both incredibly sturdy.

emdoubleyou08
    MN

Yeah they could be built with their own frame basically like you are saying, just wondering if it is necessary. Sounds good Kent, maybe I will try it out. I guess the worst that can happen is it pops out when I test it. I can always patch that. I would think if I can hit two of the vertical beams on each end with 2 screws in each beam it would be plenty of shear strength. Thanks guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.