Favorite round reel and why?

• Ranger rick

Would like to hear your in put on ambassaduer round reels your favorite and why looking to figure out which one I want to settle on long term. Have read a few reports saying 6600 ssc3,but would like to hear from others thanks

lhprop1
    Eagan

My favorite ambassadeur round reel is one that starts with “SHI” and ends with “MANO”.

Ranger rick

Never heard of that kind must be something u find at the dollar store

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Two elements of the fishing world I just cannot seem to grasp are fly casting and casting a casting reel. I do have a couple C3’s in 4600 size that I love for vertical jigging. One is spooled with 6 pound fluoro and the other has 6 pound Nanofil. I made an identical pair of 6 foot light action casting rods that carry these reels.

jarrod holbrook

Calcuttas are tanks, but I love the clicker on my old Abu 6500. Honestly, I don’t know if one Calcutta will outlast 2 6500’s, but they are smooth and great looking.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

4600 and 5500.I have used Garcia round reels almost 30yrs.I have not had many problems other than normal usage problems.Have them cleaned and gone through every 3-5years and there good to go. Some of them are 25-30yrs old,and we all know things were built better back thene.I have 3 or 4 newer ones still no issues.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

Calcuttas are tanks, but I love the clicker on my old Abu 6500. Honestly, I don’t know if one Calcutta will outlast 2 6500’s, but they are smooth and great looking.

Sadly I have real life experience on this. I can show you 1 Shimano Calcutta that was made the first year they hit the market, in fact it may be one of the first ones ever to hit our shores. I also have 5 others from year 2…..

Today they cast as good as the day they were taken out of the box and are as smooth as Irish butter. Now how old? well I used the employee deal to buy them as I was a buyer at a local sporting goods store in College. I think it was around 93? With the 50 size I can throw less 1/4 oz jig a loooooong way. With the 200/250sizes I can still cast light stuff longer than the Abu’s, not even close. But also toss bigger stuff a mile.

My 4600C3 (1),5500CI (2) and 6500C3’s (3) bought in the same time frame, casts 1/2oz stuff a 1/4 as far, grinds like it is trying out as a coffee grinder at Dunn Bros. Yeah it has a clicker…..comes with the grind. I have a couple that I “Toothpaste”. They are a bit better. Toothpaste is when you pack the reel gears with toothpaste and attach it powered line winder. All this is done to polish the gears to the level that the Shimano comes standard with……NO comparison. NONE. Period end of story with retail reels. Calcutta #1. Now if you want to drop big Dough$ go get you a Megabass….

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“Two elements of the fishing world I just cannot seem to grasp are fly casting and casting a casting reel”

I can help with the fly casting part.

SR

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Used to use 6500 C3 reels for trolling and downrigger fishing, never had a problem. Currently use 7000 C3 reels (6) for the downrigger fishing – on occasion I have replaced the clicker spring. Also have a few 5500’s a 4600…wish I still had my 2500 ambassadeur, but that reel was dropped down the hole by my son. For BB fishing I use unnamed reels with a flippin’ switch.
    jim

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Ranger Rick – favorite for what? Can you give us a little more info on what you would like to use it for? Is there a budget consideration? With different sizes and gear ratios available that will help.

Also, go check out the musky and pike forum re: the low profile reel thread. There’s some good info in there on the C3s, C4s, and how different handles can help.

Ranger rick

Love the look of the beast but seems reviews are mixed, and bass reel have 1 46-3, 66 c4 seems to be very nice also

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I wont disagree calcuttas are a nice reel,but for 90 to a 100 bucks less a Garcia is not a bad option.Is another 5yards on a cast worth the extra money,not for me.I have not had any issues with the coffee issue…..ever.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have a Shimano Tekota line counter, smooth as a babies a$$. Spendy as a ex wife. I have a boat full of Abu Garcia that are wayyyyy less money that I have used for 15+ years. For casting it’s all Abu Garcia’s, for trolling it’s Diawa’s. For pampering myself trolling it’s the Shimano.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I’ve used 6500 reels for 20+ yrs, mostly chucking Muskie baits. I have at least 10 of them. They last a long time , good reels for the money ,and when they do start wearing out , I use them for flathead fishing. Used to get em for about 70$ . Now there around a Hundo , and I’ve noticed the quality has really declined . Bought one last year and was not impressed , the clicker is bearly audible, the clicker switch is in a bad position , just feels like a cheap reel, but the price keeps going up . Used to be a good reel in this price range , not so sure anymore

catnip
    south metro

I have a abu record 61 and love it. Loud clickers and casts like a dream. I just wish they made one with lever drag instead of the stupid star wheel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.