Am I ok??

• keepcasting
    Excelsior

to toss muskie lures in a lake that doesn’t have any muskies in it this weekend? I know I could just wait, but i have some home made baits that I want to check out and possibly tweak and I will be out cappie fishing in a lake that does not have muskies in it. Would I be considered fishing out of season throwing big double bladed bucktails in the middle of a lake that doesn’t have muskies in it, but does have pike in it? Maybe I am paranoid and I know I can just wait a few weeks, but do to my schedule I may only get out on a lake 1 more time in the next few weeks. Thoughts?

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

if there are pike in there it’s kinda a bad idea but who cares if your just doing a few casts. just don’t get caught

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

to toss muskie lures in a lake that doesn’t have any muskies in it this weekend? I know I could just wait, but i have some home made baits that I want to check out and possibly tweak and I will be out cappie fishing in a lake that does not have muskies in it. Would I be considered fishing out of season throwing big double bladed bucktails in the middle of a lake that doesn’t have muskies in it, but does have pike in it? Maybe I am paranoid and I know I can just wait a few weeks, but do to my schedule I may only get out on a lake 1 more time in the next few weeks. Thoughts?

Seems you are well versed on the regs and the laws. In my opinion…………no you shouldn’t do it. Go find a swimming pool to test them in. I understand your wanting to check them out. But by your post you know it’s wrong and you are looking for somebody to say it’s OK. Heck you’ve waited this long. Whats a few more weeks.

alex hamm
    Menomonie, WI

You’re fine as long as you’re throwing those lures fishing for “northern”. Northern season opens the first Saturday in May throughout the state, but if you’re just “testing” your baits I’d find a little pond or a local school pool like I do… as long as you don’t mind having a chance of ruining a perfectly good muskie bait on those slimy snakes hah

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

You are not OK your sick and the olny cure is to go to Thorne bros pick up a couple new baits (may need to repeat until June 5th) LOL
    I’ve been going to a small pond with no fish at all that way im safe

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

I would just take the hooks off. It would be easy to explain your story if you had no hooks on the baits.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Yeah, for the record i should have added that I was heavily leaning towards not trowing anything in a lake unless everybody came on here saying that they do it. I will find a pond or something.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Don’t do it, I know that’s not what you want to hear, hang in there it’s sooner than you think. I respect both pike and musky fishing, and enjoy TRYING to catch skies, but I get when people start hucking cowgirls, bucktails, topwaters, bulldawgs on French Lake on the NORTHERN opener. Family cabin on this lake, and there are very-very few pike in the lake, and the biggest one I have seen was about 5 pnds.

I understand taking the hooks off may affect the action of the lure you are testing, but call the dnr in your area, see what they say about taking the hooks off while casting the lures you want to check out. Either way you will be reassured of the correct decision. Take care, good luck this season!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Neighborhood holding ponds work great and are typically easy to find

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

my friend musky nick caught his biggest 46in pike on french ill try to find a pic but i’ve caught plenty of pike in there plus what is somebody going to do on pike/walleye opener pike fishing? toss small baits to catch a small pike? so i don’t understand what P4 is saying. i can say i have been one of those guys in the blue lund out there on pike opener

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

if you don’t do it you won’t get a ticket and you can spend that money on ONE more bait

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

my friend musky nick caught his biggest 46in pike on french ill try to find a pic but i’ve caught plenty of pike in there plus what is somebody going to do on pike/walleye opener pike fishing? toss small baits to catch a small pike? so i don’t understand what P4 is saying. i can say i have been one of those guys in the blue lund out there on pike opener

Just my opinion-nothing personal, I don’t enjoy getting into arguments with people I have never had the chance to meet so I will explain myself. If you want to catch pike hucking big baits go to the mississippi river and huck away-same drive time, you will catch a bunch of pike, and the skies are left alone during the time period they should be left alone. My opinion- I just don’t like watching people “northern” fish during a time period that an already fragile fish may be even more vulnerable.

I guess it just kind of reminds me of people who try to get a jump on Bass season casting 10″ ribbontails for “bluegills,” and walleye guys dragging bottom bouncers and spinners around for “crappies.” before the opener.

lhprop1
    Eagan

I’ve thought about doing the same thing. The little lake by my house has nothing but sunnies and bass, so I figured if I took the hooks off and a few lures and tossed them to try out my new 400TE, I’d be fine.

Then I realized that everything is up to the discretion of the CO. If you want to try it, a simple call to the local CO of where you’ll be fishing would be better than asking a bunch of wahoos on the internet.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Not sure how you could get into trouble, if the lake has northerns and its season for them, throw the baits.
    You baits say “Musky only” on them??
    Ask most Musky fishermen/women/whatevers and I’m betting a big chunk of them have hit northerns while Musky fishing.
    I know I have.

No law on what size bait you have/can use I’m assuming, and perchance you catch a slimy, if you don’t want it, just release it.

Al

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Better to be safe than sorry thats my motto. Not that you would get in trouble but i guess its best not to push i guess.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

“Your baits say “Musky only” on them??” from ALLEN W.

Every dedicated musky fisherman that I have ever met, has been pro-conservation of the species, and wouldn’t even think about chucking muskie lures on a designated muskie lake before the season.

Yes you will catch a rogue pike here or there on a muskie lure, I have myself, but there are definately more ethical ways to target pike.

Am I way off here??? Who is the muskie expert here??? What do they think??? I am definately not the expert, would be nice if someone would chime in here…

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I’ll be out on tonka for walleye opener and I know I’ll see guys hucking mag dawgs, cowgirls, and 10″jakes guess who’s going to be calling tip a few times that day. Allen W all my baits DO say Muskie on them but if you want to chance it go out to Tonka and hope I don’t see you Or pm me and I’ll give you a. Few lakes without muskies with huge pike

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

He said muskie EXPERT j/k Tim

Well between you, and Bob there’s enough info to fill a muskie encyclopedia

therodtosser

if pike season is open yes your ok. If not best to wait.
    don’t want to risk losing your gear to the dnr.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

“Your baits say “Musky only” on them??” from ALLEN W.

Every dedicated musky fisherman that I have ever met, has been pro-conservation of the species, and wouldn’t even think about chucking muskie lures on a designated muskie lake before the season.

Yes you will catch a rogue pike here or there on a muskie lure, I have myself, but there are definately more ethical ways to target pike.

Am I way off here??? Who is the muskie expert here??? What do they think??? I am definately not the expert, would be nice if someone would chime in here…

Read what he said dude before you go off maybe??
    Here maybe this will help….”to toss muskie lures in a lake that doesn’t have any muskies in it this “”

He said the lake does NOT have Musky’s in it.

Al

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.