Lake Alexander Muskies

• Glock23

Has anyone been out on Lake Alexander or any other lake in that area this fall and had any luck with muskies? I am a new muskie hunter and wanna know tips to bringing fish in the boat! We had 3 follows but no takers. Thanks!

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

I have never fished the area much but i’d say if you want to catch a few fish this time of year check out sucker fishing with quick strike rigs. If hooksets are done correctly, the hook always ends up in the corner of the mouth for easy access. some people think sucker fishing isn’t good for musky fishing but that is with circle hooks and swallow methods.

Look for the greenest weeds left in the lake…. the last green patches will be small at times but concentrated with fish.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Fun post.

What is the proper way to set the hook with these quick set rigs?

thanks

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Alexander has a notoriously good fall sucker bite….

tr
    Plymouth

Funny y ou should be asking this. we were just up there on sunday. 3 of us fishing and we had great luck with the follows before 9 AM, we had a total of 7 musky follows and one very large northern follow. Action was fabulous around the weed beds. the only bad part was the fact they were not eating. AT ALL!!! nothing seemed to work to make them bite. One of the guys had to leave early so the two of fished the afternoon, didn’t even see a fish. we told the guy that left he timing was perfect?? did he know something we didn’t?? great time and great day just no luck getting the net wet, Good luck, like the guy said look for the weeds and you will find fish.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Quote:

Fun post.

What is the proper way to set the hook with these quick set rigs?

Very good question as I like to see people doing it the right way. A basic quick strike rig is set up many different ways but the basic is 1 or2 treble hooks that you hook to each side of a large (10-18″) sucker minnow.

The proper way to fish this from my experience is to set it on a bobber or down rig and put your clicker on the reel. Once a fish picks up the sucker minnow your job is to get your boat back over near the fish and tighten slack slowely and carefully. tighten line once your near the fish and this is the key…. wait for the fish to move AWAY from the boat and set immediately. It is very important that the fish is moving away from the boat when hooks are set otherwise percentages are severely lower.

Using this method, from the time the fish takes the bait to the time you set the hook is usually less than 20-30 seconds. The fish I have caught usually viciously hit the lure and do a short run while you are positioning the boat quickly near them. The wait until you tighten the line and move again and that is the time to set the hooks.

When done properly sucker fishing in fall is the most effective method by far on some lakes. I like to use my minnkota and drag suckers below 1mph near weeds or even over the top.

Glock23

Thanks a lot for the tip! ill give it a shot.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

X2. Thanks I always wondered speed while trolling suckers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.