Nuvi with Lakemaster chip?

• drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Wade, hopefully you chime in on this one.
    My glorified duck boat does not need much for electronics, but I recently stole a Humminbird 596c for $225. Now I need to complete the package.
    The GPS is actually more important than the sonar, as it will be used through the hunting season also, and in my truck year round.
    The dilema:
    Humminbird doesn’t offer a stand alone GPS unit, only sonar and combos.
    Lakemaster is only compatible with the 700 series Humminbirds and above ($600 +)
    Lowrance is off of the table for discussion.
    So, I’m left with Garmin and a new lakemaster chip.
    I stopped at GM the other day, to shop, not buy.
    The sales guy tells me that the Garmin Nuvi 500 ($299.99) accepts the Lakemaster chip?
    For roughly $400, I can get a GPS that has a larger screen than any other handheld, works well on the road in my truck (obviously), and works well in the boat, providing me the Lakemaster chip features that I’ve become dependant on for hunting and fishing?
    I do not care about portability, as it will be used exclusively in the boat and the truck.
    Is this the right move to make?

Good luck
    cheers

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

how does $199 sound, with free shipping????
    HRG
    Nuvi 500 at Amazon

The price sounds great, but I need confirmation on my understanding. Does the Lakemaster chip really work (and work well) with the Nuvi?
    Does the Nuvi allow me to leave bread crumb trails or mark way points?
    cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.