livewell pump airlock?

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

last year I put new pumps in my boat and took the valves apart since they were leaking and cleaned all the gunk out. Everything was working great but the one livewell started developing what I think is air lock. It will fill no problem when there is no water in there, but when I get on plane to hit the next spot, I have to prime it by turning the switch on and off about 20 times in a row before it starts pumping water again. A big air bubble will come up from the drain and then it pumps water. Wasn’t a huge deal since I’ve got giant livewells and the other side was fine, but the other side started doing it last night. Anybody know what i can do to solve this problem??? I didn’t have any problems with this in the past and didn’t change any of the plumbing other than pulling the valves off to clean and replace the pumps with a higher GPH.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Looking forward to see what’s being said on this one. I’m thinking I have the same problem in my Crestliner.

gary d
    cordova,il

? Could the pump be wired backwards??

jerry b
    western WI

I was wondering if the line got a hump in it someplace that allows it to capture an air bubble. Maybe if you guys can reach down in the bilge and move the lines around a bit the hump might flatten out and fix the problem. It’d only be temporary but at least you have an idea of what’s causing it. just a thought- – jerr

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I HAVE SEEN THE PUMP IMPELLER/PROP GET CHEWED WITH ROCKS. MOSTLY HAPPENS TO THOSE WHO BEACH THEN ROCKS GET IN LINE WHEN PUSHED OUT … OR THOSE WHO FORGET TO TURN IT OFF WHEN BEACHED. ITS A POSSABILITY BUT ONLY ONE OF MANY. BEST OF LUCK. PLEASE REPORT YOUR FINDINGS

usctrojans

On the water, put boat in reverse and turn on pump, will take care of your problem.

ssaall

Putting boat in reverse worked for me too… also the problem seemed to appear when the pump was “on” while planed off and not drawing water. Now I try to remember to turn the pump off while driving…. and to recirculate if needed

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

? Could the pump be wired backwards??

nope…

I also ran it in reverse last night for about 40 yards and that still didn’t work. I guess its possible that i have some rocks or sand in the pumps and it would take 20 times to get it going, but the reason I believe I have an air bubble is that its everytime I put it up on plane and shut down I have to prime it again. I can hear the thing running, but no water comes in. It starts with a “burp” coming up from the drain and eventually starts pumping more and more water each time i turn it on and off. All my hoses are in good shape, without any leaks anywhere that I can find anywhere.

I should probably give recirculate a shot, that will at least start the process of elimination.

I ‘ll let you guys know what i figure out

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

are your pumps easy to access?

I have this problem once in a while on my boat, but the pumps are in a nice easy location (thanks lund!!)

so i turn the pump on, open the pump housing until water starts moving through the pump, close the houseing, then all is well.

Jami

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

are your pumps easy to access?

I have this problem once in a while on my boat, but the pumps are in a nice easy location (thanks lund!!)

so i turn the pump on, open the pump housing until water starts moving through the pump, close the houseing, then all is well.

Jami

unfortunately no. they are underneath the battery tray.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.