question regarding k grubs

• Coyote Chaser
    Lincoln,Ne

I have never purchased any of the k grubs , but was thinking about doing so , was wondering which colors seem to work best and which weight of jig heads everyone uses !

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Firecracker (all time #1 fave color)
    Chartreuse Pepper
    Cotton Candy

I usually fish these baits on a 3/16 oz. head but will occassionally drop to a 1/8 in low flow / no wind situations.

riverfan
    MN

Coyote,

You didn’t specify what you are going to fish for so I’ll chime in on how I use em. I swim K-tails a lot for smallmouth. My standard weight is 3/16 oz but will go as high as 5/16. I seldom go lighter because the body starts to roll if I’m swimming at a moderate speed. I’m trying to imitate a shad so Pearl Blue, Firecracker and Cotton Candy are the colors I use most often. The swimming technique will also catch LM, Northerns and walleyes.

John

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Good catch, John. I assumed he was talking walleyes.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Firecracker (all time #1 fave color)
    Chartreuse Pepper
    Cotton Candy

I usually fish these baits on a 3/16 oz. head but will occassionally drop to a 1/8 in low flow / no wind situations.

What he said!!!! The only colors I would add to my must have list are Phantom Smoke for late winter clear water and Milky White.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

what??? gator you know how to fish???? boy where did you learn how to do that in the last couple of months?? i wrote all of these down, now I have to go and look at my stash of bfishing stuff and find out if I have anything that resembles them colors.

thanks

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

so what color h2o jig head do you use with each color? or do you try to match the jig head to the color of the grub.

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

In clear water I fish black or unpainted. Dirty water I like to contrast the head with the body.

A couple fave combos;

Chartreuse Pepper Body with an Orange Chartreuse Head.

Firecracker Body with a Chartreuse Sunburst Head.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

ok James,

now here come the questions!!!!

now define your clear water, is it when you can see the tops of the weeds in 10 fow or when you can see about 3 to 4 down in the water. now i know that the river is never clear, but i also fish lakes that in 20 fow you can see the rocks on the bottom. that is why I am asking, because i thought of a clear lake is one like that, just wanna make sure we are on the same page.

thanks for the info!!! looking forward to another DVD! should do one on pitching plastics for them eyes.

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The river actually does get VERY clear in the winter after the barges stop running. If I can see 18″ – 24″ I consider that “clear” on the river. This past summer Wade, Tom and I fished Mille Lacs after a big blow and we struggled to find 2.5 – 3 foot visibility in the area we were targeting. I think the definition of “clear” or “stained / dirty” will vary greatly from one body of water to the next.

We already did make a casting plastics DVD. >>> http://bfishntackle.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=26

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

For Mille Lacs Smallies. No particular order. 99% of the time I use a black jighead.

Pearl Blue S&P
    Chartuse Pepper
    Milky White
    Motor Oil Gold

If I find the fish turning thier nose to one color, they will usually chase down one of the others!

-J.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

what??? gator you know how to fish???? boy where did you learn how to do that in the last couple of months?? i wrote all of these down, now I have to go and look at my stash of bfishing stuff and find out if I have anything that resembles them colors.

thanks

shane

LOL

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

thanks James, that helped me out a little bit, i guess I will have to chase you down and fallow you around the river on day and pick your brain.

shane

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.