Rod Building

• mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

I have never built a fishing rod and would like to give it a try. Does anyone have a good web site or the names of books, or magazines for the beginner or instructions to begin this hobby? Also if you know where or of any web sites for supplies. Thanks in advance Mark.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

google rod building and you will get all kinds of hits.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Call Cabela’s and ask them to send you thier rod building catalog. Although I don’t build rods, I enjoy flipping through the pages of that catalog. Lot’s of kits available.

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

There is a shop in Marine on St. Croix (just north of Stillwater) called Wild River Distrbuting. They don’t have a website, but they will send you their catalog. They are very affordable and even more knowledgable! They are a small family operation and great people. Wild River Distributing=(651) 433-2217
    (888) 433-2624 FAX
    You can even go there and hand pick blanks. Give ’em a call, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

A couple of sites:

http://www.rodbuilding.org and bassfishing homepage rods and reels page. http://www.wmi.org – to BFHP

Buy Tom Kirkman’s book Rod Building Guide: Fly, Spinning, Casting, Trolling. It’ll be your best purchase to get you started.

Go to Mudhole Rod Building Supply – http://www.mudhole.com – they’ve got a good how to section.

I’m on the northwest end of the Twin Cities. Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re close, I could show you some stuff to help you get started.

PM me if you’ve got any more questions on getting started.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Call Mike at Hooked On Fishing in rochester Minnesota he can get you everything and anything you want to build the rod yourself. It takes some pateince but ive done a few and its fun to catch a fish on somethign you made yourself

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

I second most of what has already been stated. Tom Kirkmans book is a must – rodbuilding.org is his site and a must view – and his Rodmaker magazine is also very good. As others have stated – I can be a contact for you with any questions you have. Ironically, we just wrapped up our final night of a rodbuilding class near Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Quite a few customers on this sight and also a few folks that have taken the class with us here as well.
    Chuck

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

If your not too far from Thorne bros., they have rod building classes.

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

Thank you all for the ideas and offers, if I was a little closer to the twin citys I would surely take you up on the offer. I actually live about 40 miles west of Madison, WI and don’t think there is alot in this area for supplies. I do get down to Cabela’s in PDC from time to time and will look at their kits. You all have been a great help and I also have a couple of catalogs (Mudhole, Cabelas) coming to look at as well. I think the first order is to order the book suggested and get an idea of what I’m getting into. Thanks Again – Mark

ikeslayer
    Rochester, mn, Usa, Earth

i have a book by the name of clements / clemens and that is pretty good two. Good luck it is fun just remember to take your patience pills esspecially the first time. ike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.