BUI Crackdown?

• Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I’m not a huge fan of a police state, but I really have to wonder if this was money well spent? Esp after all that strict enforcement of the no wake and all.

20 boats in three days? Really?

“No Arrests, No Citations in Drunk Boating Crackdown-
    The Coast Guard collaborated with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and the Washington County Sheriff’s Department Marine Patrol on “Operation Dry Water” Friday through Sunday. The Coast Guard says contact was made with more than 20 boats during the three-day initiative. Six safety warnings were issued and one disabled boat was towed to shore.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

I love the Dnr.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In three days they only checked 20 Fu#$&@g boats!!!!!!!!!!!!

That must be a typo on the report. Glad to hear nobody busted. I dont think thats a reflection of our ultra safe boaters. More like blind luck. This weekend is the one to watch. If there’s going to be any problems, they will happen within the next week or so.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

In three days they only checked 20 Fu#$&@g boats!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That must be a typo on the report. Glad to hear nobody busted. I dont think thats a reflection of our ultra safe boaters. More like blind luck.

I agree.

I’ve seen ’em check up to 10-20 boats an hour in the neckdowns.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The Croix and the July 4th weekend had been deadly.

It was July 3 two years in a row that claimed the lives of seven total if I recall.

Lots of Boats and lots of Booze don’t mix…and it shouldn’t take LE to drive that home. .02

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

But then, what is the holiday weekend for?

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Back in my drinking days….

A guy could get pretty plowed, go slow, put a jacket on, and be fairly safe. I know, I know, plowed and fairly safe don’t go together, stress fairly, just saying. But the hugely obvious loaded go fast f-u bahavior? Mike is right, must be a typo. And to the patrol guys and gals that stopped me a couple years back racing the train up the Missi from Prescott at the request of my kids? Thanks for the warning, never knew no wakes were that spendy!

Link to original story -> http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/metro/drunk-boating-no-arrests-no-citations-june-28-2011

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

But then, what is the holiday weekend for?

following a green lund around on the river…

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

It’s a shame that most people can’t wrap around the fact that boating and drinking don’t mix! It seems that most everything in Minnesota and Wisconsin revolve around drinking. Hard to find an activity that doesn’t involve it. Don’t get me wrong I like to have a few on occasion but not everything I do involves drinking!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

The goal of these campaigns is not to make the roads or water safer. The goal is to make us THINK that they are safer. It doesn’t matter how many boats they check, they can’t check them all. That is the beauty of the MADD lobby, there are no attributable results. Traffic deaths are down because less people can afford to drive, at the same time DUI arrests are up. MADD equates more arrests to safer roads, when in fact it is now the focus of law enforement to pull over anything that moves after 10PM. Why? Because people who get DUIs pay their fines. It’s a money maker for Local and State Government agencies. Budgets are tight, why waste time catching thieves and rapists, they just to jail. People who get DUIs have jobs, go to work, and NEED to be able to drive. So they jump through every hoop the courts lay out for them.

If you listen to MADD it’s an absolute miracle anybody survived this long who was on the roads before 1990. Some of you guys might remember when cops would pull you over, see you were drunk and follow you home to make sure you were safe. Law enforecment\government goal is no longer to make you safe, it’s a self perpetuating cash cow designed to legislate behaviour, and profit on both ends. They tax the booze at 12%-18% on the front end, then fine you up the [censored] for having some.

The government doesn’t want you to stop drinking, and they certainly don’t want you to stop drinking and driving. Their sin taxes are big business.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Great effort by LE on this

I hope all of the promotion of the effort before-hand had a significant impact on these final results and saved some lives as well.

Keep up the good work!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I usually don’t drink and boat, I can wait till I get on shore. If I do drink in the boat I never bring more than 4 and they typically last all day. Safety First

rangerski
    North Metro

The Park Rangers sent us on our way from the Kinni sand beach. A buddy and I we carving up a few eyes for dinner on the grill and a park worker gal confronted us and said she hopes we dont plan on staying long. Our plan was to beach there for the night and sleep under the stars in the boat, then start fishing at first light. She informed me that this is not allowed unless I have a CG approved facilty on board. Thought that was odd, anyway I said I’d just anchor up and catfish all night. She then said the guys on the water will take care of you then…. I laughed, anchored up on MN side just off shore and slept under the stars with my anchor light on. Ranger in boat never asked about drinking or checked my vessal. Still had a blast and even hooked a 20# flattie the next morning and a pile of eyes!

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I love the Dnr.

rugs
    Hastings, MN

fyi-they can not give you a BUI if you are anchored.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Wrong. They can give you a BUI anytime, anywhere if they want. Up to you to fight it in court.

-J.

deertracker

Quote:

They can if you are still behind the wheel. Anchor up and stay away from the wheel and trolling motors.
    DT

sgruber

I agree about not evolving into a police state but I am all for the law enforcement folks targeting 100% of those 30 foot speed boats going up and down the river.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I agree about not evolving into a police state but I am all for the law enforcement folks targeting 100% of those 30 foot speed boats going up and down the river.

Can we say 26 foot speed boats? My not so favorite almost son in law has one of those.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

but they are sooooo much fun…

sgruber

May he be the first one checked.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.