Conceal Carry Handgun Recommendations

• Dan
    Southeast MN

I’m looking to get a new handgun to carry concealed and I’m just looking for any recommendations or anything that’s worked well for IDO’ers. I already have an H&K USP .40. I’d prefer to stick with .40 because that’s what kind of ammo I have at home and use for work. I’m also looking for recommendation on a good concealable holster, preferably a hip holster.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Check out S&W MP Shield. Good value and good rep. I carry the S&W MP Shield 9 and the Glock .40 for home.

I’ve been carrying for the last year (still a newbie); I like the crossbreed (sp), conceal holster. I’ve learned that open carry can lead to bigger problems. As for the weapon, carry what you’re comfortable with . You’re more likely to carry it, and you’re used to the way it shoots. The saying goes ” it’s better to carry and not need it,than to need it and not have it. ”
    My 2cents.

deertracker

My buddy turned me on to the Smith And Wesson M&P Shield. That is a sweet shooting gun in 9 and 40. You looking for an inside or outside the waistband holster? Google N2 tactical. I’m on my o bone or I would get you a link.
    ST

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

This isn’t .40 so probably wont work for you but it’s small, lightweight, can fit in your pocket (no tight jeans) and you don’t have to worry about it jamming.

Taurus Model 85 Ultra-Lite .38

It doesn’t have a safety though which I have mixed feelings over.

Dan
    Southeast MN

As far as inside or outside waistband holster goes, I guess right now I’m looking for something probably inside to make it easier for summer. Not too worried once we get into sweatshirt/jacket weather since I have a nice outside the waistband holster.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

You can’t go wrong with the Smith & Wesson Shield. For the holster check out Theise holsters. It can be worn inside the waistband or outside the waistband. https://theisholsters.com/productDetails.php?pcID=4
    Go with EZ-clip, full slide coverage with the premium leather. This is a sweet custom built holster with lifetime warranty.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Brucea, that EZ clip is an interesting holster. A person doesn’t have to buy larger pants to wear IWb. Still I’m partial to a holster that locks in the weapon.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I carry a S&W .380 Bodyguard… and ankle carry with an Uncle Mikes… anybody else ankle carry ? ???

deertracker

I do for my backup at work but very little during pants wearing season outside of work. I like my inside the waist band holster.
    DT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Question for you that have angle biter protection.

Once down there to draw your weapon, how do you get back up?

deertracker

I shoot left handed. My gun is on the inside of my right ankle. When it comes time to pull my gun I get down on my left knee, unholster and shoot from that position. It’s actually pretty quick when you train for it.
    DT

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

A person doesn’t have to buy larger pants to wear IWb. Still I’m partial to a holster that locks in the weapon.

I am new to carrying a weapon and have not done it often. Having said that, this is what I have learned so far.
    I can carry IWB with the same size pants. I don’t know if that will work for everyone. I prefer OWB. It does require a good belt. I use a 1 1/2 wide leather Carhart sold at Fleet Farm which seems to work fine. I wear this belt every day whether I carry or not.
    This holster will lock in the weapon. You can heat it with a hair dryer to lock in to your liking. It comes with directions on how to do this and if you have any questions Tommy Theis personal phone number.
    It was shipped with the perfect retention for my liking. The retention was a little tight at first but after several times of the gun being in and out it wore in perfect.
    I did a lot of research on line, reading reviews and watching u-tube videos. I wanted to get the right holster the first time. I am sure there are a lot of other great holster manufactures out there. This was my choice and I am happy with it.

Theis Holsters come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime warranty. Wear it 2 weeks, if you don’t like it, return it for a full refund! (excludes special order holsters)

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

I like my Walther PPS. I have the 9mm, but its also available in the 40 S&W. Features that I like for concealed carry are:

1. Paddle mag release. Makes it an ambidextrous gun, but most importantly, no mag release button to snag or bump causing an accidental release. I have had this happen with a Glock that I own. Sit in the car and something bumps the release. Get out of the car and find the magazine lying on the seat. Only happened once to me, but it does happen. If you can’t get used to a paddle release, this may be a deal breaker, but once I got used to it, I wish all my pistols had this.

2. No external safety. My own personal preference, but I dislike a safety that I have to disengage before defending my life. They can also snag clothing when drawing your weapon.

3. Size and design. One of the slimmer profiles in a single stack 9 or 40. Very comfortable in my hand with the appropriate backstrap installed.

4. Accuracy and reliability. I have fired many single stack 9mm’s, including most that have been mentioned. None shot tighter groups. As for reliability, it ranks right up there with the Glocks, S&Ws, Springfields and rugers.

As for holsters…I used to buy nothing but crossbreed. Great holsters and a great company, but a family member put me onto Aliengear. Not only are they very affordable, but fit even better than the crossbreeds.

Always recommend a good belt. Can’t beat an Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical. I have tried some expensive leather belts and none measure up to Wilderness Tactical.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i’ve gone to baby glocks in 40 for CCW. small enuf to CC well and gives seven rounds plus a chamber. Extended clips fit the frame when additional rounds are required. i usually use a sling, but have gone to an IWB leather that i do like when in a hurry. i personally dislike plastic a lot. personal preference.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I do not have my conceal and carry yet but i have been doing lots of research and I like the shield and the xds a lot. I dont think the xds is offered in a .40 But i believe the xdm compact is and it is close to the same size as the xds.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

This isn’t .40 so probably wont work for you but it’s small, lightweight, can fit in your pocket (no tight jeans) and you don’t have to worry about it jamming.

Taurus Model 85 Ultra-Lite .38

It doesn’t have a safety though which I have mixed feelings over.

Wheel’gun guy here too waytogo
    44SP Charter Arms Bulldog….an oldie but a goodie…
    6 works when you hit what you aim at…. grin

Don’t go off until you pull the trigger on purpose…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

6 works when you hit what you aim at….

Unless there’s more then 6 targets.
    And seldom will one take one down. blush

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I have been looking into a single stack 9. I shot the XDS, G43 and the SW MP shield.

Loved the size of the Glock but was not too fond of shooting it. The XDS was another good gun but it couldn’t compare to the SW. It’s an 1/8 larger than the Glock, so not huge but definitely noticable. It shot like a dream. The only thing is the trigger could use a little work.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mudshark wrote:</div>
    6 works when you hit what you aim at….

Unless there’s more then 6 targets.
    And seldom will one take one down. blush

Well if you get yourself into a situation where you have to take on 6 targets at once you need more than a handgun….an Uzi would be more appropriate then wink

I’m sorry but -to me- a revolver just makes sense…..
    The only way you’re gonna an AD is to be stupid enough to cock the hammer back….it’s ,IMO, just safer and the 44Sp packs plenty of punch… grin

To each his own….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was just poking at you Mud.
    I’m not sure how to get an AD with either without pulling the trigger. I’ve looked at my one in the tube auto for 10 years and it hasn’t gone off yet. But I’m still trying!

Lots of folk love their wheels, that’s why they keep making them.
    My Model 19 has a permanent place in my house. Had my name stamped in it to ensure I wouldn’t sell it.
    LOL!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i have carried my springfield xd .40 for a year, it came with a belt holster. I carried in that for awhile and then went to a paddle holster, i felt it printed to much. so I baught a glock 9mm with a cheap leather IWB holster and carry that now, much lighter and it don’t print as bad, I hated wearing an extra layer to help cover the print. with my iWB holster i can wear a tshirt and it covers nice.

it all comes down to personal prefference, I have 4 holsters for my xd and 2 holsters for my glock. i have a level 2 for each weapon in a paddle holster.

me personally, I prefer to carry my glock over my springfield. but i do still carry my springfield from time to time.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Also for anyone looking at single stack 9mm. Don’t forget the single stack Sig 239, Kahr K9. Those are my two favorites. The Kahr has been with me for the longest.

Any gun with carry with a better holster. I use Simply Rugged. Not cheap over $75 normally but worth the added cost because they last so long.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Simplest and best advice – go rent and try them. You may be very surprised on what you like/don’t like or shoot well/awful.

Was shooting my friends Kahr PM9. Love the look and the size. Can’t hit crap with it, without stress and at the range. Not a winner there.

Was at the Osseo Gun Club(very reasonable rentals) and tried the XDs in a .45. Shot a couple of awesome groups without having to get used to it. Winner right? Wrong. The particular grip I’ve been taught struggled to engage the grip safety. Took me four tries to fire the first round. Not a winner for carry.

So I’m still searching too. The good news is there are a lot of good options without spending $1000. Just need to find the one that’s good for you.

My other good news. Don’t really care if I find anything anytime soon and it’s just fun to try out new firearms.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.