Clear Lake Iowa

• UPOW

Who has fished Clear Lake Iowa before? Any input of your experience would be much appreciated.

brad-o
    Mankato

Spring of the year is the best time to fish. From ice out until mid May. All you need is a pair of waders no boat needed. Ice fishing is a great place for kids tons of yellows.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Was just there today. Fish was slow all day caught 3 yellows. Iws trying for anything that would tug on my string. I had a Gulp minnow on and they would hit it alot. Just to big for the little guys. So I put on a small floating rapala with a 1\2 ounze sink about 2 feet above the bait. I was able to hook the little ones then. I was only working the small lake. About 1:30 the wind picked up and started to get rough. Thought I had a big snag but when I pulled real hard it started to move. It didn’t fight a lot it kept code to the bottom 10 fow. I got it up 4 different time so I could see the sink but not the fish. It would go back down very slowly the drag was clicking real slow. Finally got to see atail that looked redish. Thinking it was carp or sucker I wasn’t to exited. The next time up I saw it was a giant MUSKIE. I about wet myself. I tried to net it but I could not get half of it in the net. Any way long story short she never made it in the boat.How is the best way to get one of these big guys in? I am guesstimateing it was 50 inches plus. Just going by my net is 24 inch deep. Put in at Macintosh state park. Lots of parking. 3 ramps are very well taken care of. Sorry for the long story but it was real exciting for my and I had to tell someone Thanks for listening AL

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Kirk Moe fishes that area a lot thru the ice..
    I’ll see if I could get him to chime in here !!

turkeynate
    Iowa

I fish Clear Lake quite a bit. What type of info are you looking for?

If you like catching tons of fish. Clear lake is the place to go. Tons of Yellow bass but some really nice crappie and walleye too.

UPOW

I’m planning a two night trip at the end of January. I never have fished the lake before. Just wanted a general idea of how the fishing is at that time of year. Would love to catch a little of everything. Never caught a yellow bass before and heard they are tasty. Thanks for all the replies.

prestonc
    Waterloo, IA

Yellow bass are a blast to catch. Look on facebook at the yellow bass bonanza. To do well with them you have to be willing to move a lot to find feeding fish. My go to is a rattle spoon with a dropper chain that has a small jig on it. Tungsten works well too. I use wigglers/spikes to tip with, but some guys use cut bait. Kevan Paul hosts that tournament and usually updates facebook with how he’s doing. He has some pretty good videos on catching them too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.