paddle tail question

• wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Last weekend right before heading to the deer stand I was throwing some paddletails and noticed that the paddle action on the oystershells compared to the purple/pearl were dramatically different. the purple/pearl had a wide side to side thumping action and the oystershell had very little action and required a pretty sharp retrieve to get any action out of it.

Do you think the oystershell bag is a bad batch? Or is there something different with the plastic used for the different colors that could cause this.
    I only caught one fish on this bag of oystershell so far and I never paid much attention to it until this last weekend. I always assumed it was a color preference.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Ive noticed that on some as well. The tail wont even paddle on some. But most are good swimmers. Seen a plastic ball on the back of some tails. Wonder if that helps if ya dont tear it off?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The tails will get folded over in the bag sometimes, too. I always look for the straight tails — they seem to swim better. That said, you can use a lighter to fix them quickly and easily. If the tails are too stiff, just stretch them out a bit.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I have not noticed this issue but can’t say that I’ve been looking for it either. For sure, I will start paying attention to this to see if it’s problem.
    As for the bump of excess plastic on the back side of the tail, I’ve fished with it on and off and have not noticed a difference. Normally, we will tear it off prior to using it but sometimes we forget.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Just to be clear, I’m talking about the regular paddle tails above, not newer the pulse-r version.

BBKK
    IA

Take a pot of water and heat it to near boiling. Drop your plastics in and let them “cook” until you can feel that they are softer than before, and then lay them out perfectly straight to cool for 3 days. The result will be a softer plastic with much more action.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Thanks I will have to try that.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The tails will get folded over in the bag sometimes, too. I always look for the straight tails — they seem to swim better. That said, you can use a lighter to fix them quickly and easily. If the tails are too stiff, just stretch them out a bit.

John has it right. Even soft plastics can take a “set” by being kinked, even in the bag. The worst thing you can do is set something rigid and heavy on a bag of plastics as it will squash the baits and put a temporary kink in the bait that often times will reduce the intended action.

Thankfully mild cases can be remedied with a gentle stretching, as John mentioned, or by a quick dip in boiling water when the baits are severely crooked. Even a quick stint in the microwave can provide a cure. If you do opt for the Microwave, do take care not overdue the duration or power setting as they’ll melt into a puddle of nearly uncleanable ooze if you push it too long.

The point being that “kink” reducing the action of the bait is fixable… and savvy anglers with a sharp eye, like yourself, pay attention to which baits seem to have that magic wiggle while others present like a lifeless dud.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.