I’m not a Power Pro Hater…

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

In fact for many years I thought Power Pro was the holy grail of braided catfish lines.

But there is better…

Suffix-80 lbs. Can’t say I’ve ever used it but I know of plenty that have switched to Suffix and for the same reasons I started looking around.

Courtland’s Master Braid-80 lbs. Keeps the Hi-vis yellow in the line and not on your fingers, reel or guides. Rounder for better casting which is handy for shore fishing) and I’ve noticed much less wear on the terminal end.

Team Catfish’s Tug O War- 80 lbs. Again, the Nuclear Yellow color stays on the line, the quality control is much like the Master Braid where I haven’t found a “flat” spots in the line as I’m spooling it on.

So far I have 3 years on the Tug O War braid and could go another year before turning it around. We’ll have to see what it looks like at the end of this year.

If you fish in the wood, try a spool the next time you need to re-spool. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the difference you’ll find.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Not to hijack your thread BK, but does anyone here use Suffix braid for their Musky Rods? I haven’t been extremely happy with the Power Pro I have been using the last few years and I have been looking into switching to Suffix this year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No problem Ben.

jmaj101
    Hastings,MN

Suffix with the gore fibers is great!! I use it on all my walleye set ups and catfish set ups. VERY abrasion resistant! Seems smoother coming off the reel then power pro. Don’t get me wrong power pro is still a great product but I switched to all suffix. Just my opinion!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve had a hard time using braid in my Zebco spin caster. Doesn’t come out of the hole smoothly, but it does eliminate snarls under the cap.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There’s Team Catfish Tug O War mono for that Pugster.

Electric Green.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

There’s Team Catfish Tug O War mono for that Pugster.

Electric Green.

Can you use Electric Green Tug O War with a white catfish pole?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Doesn’t come out of the hole smoothly

Try prune juice…

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

But there is better…

Rounder for better casting

…How round does it have to be to cast a 5oz No Roll Sinker Anyway.? …rrr

BBKK
    IA

I am quickly falling in love with sufix 832 for all my fishing. Some good stuff!!

Better line than power pro IMO… and I’ve been using PP for at least 5 or 6 years, always considered it the best.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Not to hijack your thread BK, but does anyone here use Suffix braid for their Musky Rods? I haven’t been extremely happy with the Power Pro I have been using the last few years and I have been looking into switching to Suffix this year.

Ben, I’ve been using 100lb suffix performance braid on my 4 Muskie rods for the last 5 years it is awesome! I tried 80lb 832 last year on a rod and liked that as well but I’ll be going back to the performance braid this year it holds it’s shape better than the 832.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

How much is suffix paying you ding dongs? Cajun Red line all the way baby!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Thanks Tim, I’ll look into getting a spool of the performance braid and trying it out.

yummymuskie
    A River.

i run 832 on everything, even my ice rods.

lhprop1
    Eagan

When I first started muskie fishing, I used PowerPro because that’s what everyone said I should use. I didn’t like it for many reasons.

The next year, I switched to Sufix Performance Braid and instantly knew I’d never buy another spool of PowerPro in my life.

I switched to the 832 when it came out and I like that a little better than the Performance Braid because it doesn’t retain as much water and seems to be a little more abrasion resistant.

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

In fact for many years I thought Power Pro was the holy grail of braided catfish lines.

But there is better…

Suffix-80 lbs. Can’t say I’ve ever used it but I know of plenty that have switched to Suffix and for the same reasons I started looking around.

Courtland’s Master Braid-80 lbs. Keeps the Hi-vis yellow in the line and not on your fingers, reel or guides. Rounder for better casting which is handy for shore fishing) and I’ve noticed much less wear on the terminal end.

Team Catfish’s Tug O War- 80 lbs. Again, the Nuclear Yellow color stays on the line, the quality control is much like the Master Braid where I haven’t found a “flat” spots in the line as I’m spooling it on.

So far I have 3 years on the Tug O War braid and could go another year before turning it around. We’ll have to see what it looks like at the end of this year.

If you fish in the wood, try a spool the next time you need to re-spool. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the difference you’ll find.

I might have to try the team catfish line out this year. I’ve been looking for a better heavy weight line. 50lb power pro has snapped like twine on far too many fish in the last two years…

I was about to give up on power pro until trying the super 8 braid. I’ve been fishing with 15lb super 8 slick power pro for nearly everything this year. This line has proved to be my absolute favorite from power pro, but it still has produced more birds nests than I would like. Thank you for the tip.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.