Boat Interior Lights

• Fishing59

Need help with what color of lights to put in my boat for night vision. Would you use red, blue ,green or yellow and why? Thanks for your help.

Red Eye

I used green LED strip lights under the gunwale. Doesn’t kill your night vision. It does attract bugs but think any light would do that.

Attachments:
    1. C9771B5C-925B-47EF-BFC6-FDB40B3F00BB.jpeg

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Insects generally see 3 colors of light, Ultraviolet (UV), blue and green. Bright white or bluish lights (mercury vapor, white incandescent and white florescent) are the most attractive to insects. Yellowish, pinkish, or orange (sodium vapor, halogen, dichroic yellow) are the least attractive to most insects

This is what google says, not sure what is actually out there.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I have some green LED rope lights under the canopy of our boat lift, and I can confirm that it attracts bugs.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have blue on mine, but I need to replace them soon and thing I might go with red. No complaints about the blue though.

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

There is a good reason smaller general aviation aircraft used RED indirect lighting to illuminate the instrument panel. It was shown to have a minimal effect on night vision many years ago.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

There is a good reason smaller general aviation aircraft used RED indirect lighting to illuminate the instrument panel. It was shown to have a minimal effect on night vision many years ago.

Yep. Red is used on naval ships and is the best night color out there.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I used the red light in my WRGB head lamp when I was in the ice hut after dark. It had the best visual of all of the colors.

Fishing59

I think I`m going to go with red. It makes sense that naval and aircraft uses red lights. Also my boat is red and silver.

brunn
    Andover, MN

Why pick a color when you can have it all?
    Mine even dance to music.

Attachments:
    1. boat2-scaled.jpg

2. boat1-scaled.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.