Best way to shorten or lessen the Severity of a cold

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

After a Great winter as far as colds and the Flu goes, It seems I’ve got a spring cold. I have plans to be Turkey hunting this weekend and really don’t want to do so while suffering with a cold. What are some thing I can do over the next few days to either get over this cold or at least lesson the severity of it. In the past I’ve had good luck with loading up on Vitamin C. I normally use a product called Emergen -c as soon as I feel a cold or illness coming on ( on my 2nd day of using it now ) This has worked well in the past and hope it does this time as well. Just curious what others use or do.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Hey Thumper do you have some congestion? When I get a cold I often have nasal and head congestion so I take sudafed. Its really effective. You have to buy it at the pharmacy and sign for it though because meth heads use it too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Emergen-C is good, make sure you are getting all the vitamins/minerals. D and Zinc are important for the immune system as well, and drink a ton of water.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Hey Thumper do you have some congestion? When I get a cold I often have nasal and head congestion so I take sudafed. Its really effective. You have to buy it at the pharmacy and sign for it though because meth heads use it too.

That’s funny. I just took a dose of Sudafed. I had to research the # on the pill to determine what it was. I had a few in my desk and thought that what they were.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Good suggestions above. Rest helps your body fight off illness. Zicam nasal spray might help as well as some Vick’s Vapor Rub to help clear congestion.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The older I get the more I find out I have seasonal allergies, could be a possibility?

Doug M
    SE SD

We use airborne. 3-4 of these a day along with lots of water and rest and I can be good in couple days.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The older I get the more I find out I have seasonal allergies, could be a possibility?

That is a possibility as well. I use to have lots of problems with Allergies. For some reason the last 5-6 years they have been way less than they use to be. I’ll take some allergy meds when I get home after work.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My house just got over a cold. It was a 2 day thing for 3 of them and I never caught it. Mucinex is always my go to in our house. Take a Day time and night time one. Grandpa used to always say a hot brandy in a hot bath was good for you as well.

And a good night sleep always helps

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Good suggestions above. Rest helps your body fight off illness. Zicam nasal spray might help as well as some Vick’s Vapor Rub to help clear congestion.

i’m an adamant believer in the zicam….but prefer the pill or losenge form!!!!!!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Yep, spring colds tend to be allergies more often than not…and they seem bad this year.

igotone

We use airborne. 3-4 of these a day along with lots of water and rest and I can be good in couple days.

this is what we do……

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

After a Great winter as far as colds and the Flu goes, It seems I’ve got a spring cold. I have plans to be Turkey hunting this weekend and really don’t want to do so while suffering with a cold. What are some thing I can do over the next few days to either get over this cold or at least lesson the severity of it. In the past I’ve had good luck with loading up on Vitamin C. I normally use a product called Emergen -c as soon as I feel a cold or illness coming on ( on my 2nd day of using it now ) This has worked well in the past and hope it does this time as well. Just curious what others use or do.

I use emergen C also. I had a mild cold 2 weeks ago that turned out to be covid… Then it went away like a normal cold does after a few days!

Ripjiggen

Man this site is not what it once was. Used to be sharing fishing stories and techniques now we are asking advice on the sniffles.
    I usually drink a bunch pass out and sleep for 2 days and it’s gone.
    Good luck

Coletrain27

Man this site is not what it once was. Used to be sharing fishing stories and techniques now we are asking advice on the sniffles.
    Good luck

I like making grandpas old cough medicine. Couple ounces of bourbon or whiskey with a couple ounces of honey and heat them together in a glass. Gulp it down and go to bed

deertracker

Have you tried taking 8EFE28AEBA5BFD44?
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Good luck

I like making grandpas old cough medicine. Couple ounces of bourbon or whiskey with a couple ounces of honey and heat them together in a glass. Gulp it down and go to bed

That was my grandpas remedy as well. He used to tell me it helps for dealing with grandma as well lol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

DT

That was my first thought. I went to the Store and asked the pharmacist where the
    8EFE28AEBA5BFD44 was. He just looked at me like I was crazy !!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve found you can eliminate congestion temporarily with medicine if you have plans but I tend to steer clear of cold medicines mostly and just let it run its course while trying to eat and drink healthy. With any luck your minor cold might be the vid and your body is handling it nicely.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ll have to give that one a try tonight. I think I have just enough Crown left for 1 dose. I probably better stop and get another bottle just in case I need several dose’s

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

That was my first thought. I went to the Store and asked the pharmacist where the

You have to look right underneath the 9FGF39BFCB6CGE55. You can’t miss it.

tim hurley

Agree w/those who say stay clear of medicines that just cover up symptoms. Zinc is good, also I mega dose C at any sign of problems. Not healthy to mega dose daily but every now and then if you are feeling run down it works. Lots of water as others have said. (I teach hundreds of elementary school kids and only rarely get sick)

big_g
    Isle, MN

I use Delsym with a cough… and boil water and steam my lungs. Also warm salt water gargle if a sore throat. Liking the bourbon idea too… for future use.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Good luck

from my perspective and how I look at it, not that I’m any sort of expert, but….

This is titled general discussion.

If I’m going to post something specific I try to look for that forum or thread that most closely associated with what I’d like to post. To each there own though I guess. waytogo

Sharon
    SE Metro

You have to look right underneath the 9FGF39BFCB6CGE55. You can’t miss it.

Perfection, right there, man! bow

Dan
    Southeast MN

With all the crazy drug names out there I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually handed you something!

robby
    Quad Cities

Zinc and Vitamin C, good diet.

tim hurley

Diet, yup, most of your immune system is in your gut.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Take 2 / and call me in the morning.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.