gator tail worm

• bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Not much happening so Im gonna post a couple things to see if we can get things moving- with the weather it wont be long before we start “real” fishing again.
    Anyone ever use gator tail type worms on the river? I find them to work quite well with the big paddle tail. They are hard to find though- berkley made a flip n tail power worm but it is hard to find in colors other than black and red shad. I had some success on these using a swimming type presentation around weeds and wood. Any one else use these or know where to find them? JJ

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The Gator Tail worms I used to fish with had the wider sickle tail on them and the outter edge of the tail was serated. They were a great worm at the time. I still have some in an old tackle box somewhere in the house. I think they are Black/Blue tail.

I believe those wider tails added extra flash and moved more water than the new baits on the market. So many of the newer plastics are too streamlined for my tastes.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Blue – I agree- I still have some of the original Ditto gator tail in the same color you refer to- they really have a lot of vibration. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a decent substitution now that can be bought.

jimt
    Sparta, WI

Take a look at Wave Worms Tiki Snake. The tail isnt serated but it does have a wide sickle tail and beefy body.

Check their web site…they’ve got a few colors on clearance for a $1.50 a bag.

danwi
    westby wi

I used a gator tail worm when i lived in Fla. It was called a koo-koo worm. I think i have 3worms left in a pack
    I’m not sure if the company went out of business or it was just a regional worm but i sure did like them.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

The orignal Gator Tail worm is one of my all time favorite worms. I have tried some very similar worms in the past (like the sickle tail Power Worm), but none seemed to have quite the same action.

I have a few left in 7 inch solid black and black/red tail, and a few 5 inchers in black/blue tail, but I would pay big bucks for some Black Grape/silver metal flake Gator Tails. By far my favorite color.

Funny, today two of my all time favorite lures from when I was a kid were brought up, the Gator Tail and the Crazy Crawler.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I believe Ditto lures was bought out by Allen Lures, who then made the Gator Tail, but I think it is out of production. I know my Black Grape/metalflake wasn’t made by Allen Lures.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I like the worm waterfolwler, but I bet it gets too many bluegill bites.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

If you go to the link posted by moss boss this is what i am talking about- as Blue stated its a little more compact with a big old serrated tail that thumps- I believe it gives more vibration for the dirty water down here on pools 14-17

illinois

I have seen what your looking for at fishing shows in the past in the bulk buy cotainers. But they are generaly blue with a fire red tail.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Here is a bass pro shops rattling gator tail. they are kind of stupid, the rattle weights the tail down on the bottom and i believe it is the culprit for missing more strikes because of the weight on the back end. But, this is a gator tail worm. You can see that there is a ball on the tail and a rattle goes in there. It can be removed.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Nope, just not the same.

And the black grape metal flake was a real dark purple with silver metallic flakes.

neilaustin

Gatortail worm lovers please email [email protected] or go to ebay and type in allen lures. This lady has been able to get the remaining stock of gatortails and all the other stock of allen lures that went out of buissness. You name it she probably his it including allen lures lipless crankbaits “milo” including unpainted versions that haven’t been painted. She has most of the colors including 100 count pack in the soft plastics. The famous flipping and pitching lure down in florida is the fireclaw and she has the remaining stock of these as well. If its allen lures or anything associated with the former owner “Ditto” she probably has it but probably not for long when the word gets out.
    Thanks Neil

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.