Which body of water would you choose?

• benotto
    Shawano, WI

Here is a list of my favorite lakes:
    1.) Pine Lake (full of numerous 4’s and 5’s and usually and occasional 6, Largemouth only)
    2.) Metonga, Anvil, and Butternut (all gin clear water, nothing beats finesse fishing giant smallies)
    3.) Boom Lake/Wisconsin River (a lot of 2’s and 3’s of largies with an occasional 4 or 5, great slop/topwater fishing, the river is full of 3’s and 4’s of smallies in heavy current flipping into wood)
    4.) Big Green (awsome spring and late fall lake for giant smallies and largies….for those of you who don’t hunt make sure you hit this lake during opening weekend for gun season of hunting. Jerkbaits over 40 feet of water and huge smallies it is awsome!)

danwi
    westby wi

Mason is near the dells. If you wanna try it maybe be can get a few boats going.From every thing i have heard it’s early season or forget it.

brovarney

Metonga is a stunner. It’s right in Crandon and there is a county campground on the lake. Lots of rock points and islands 12-20′ deep. Deep weed edges and fish a plenty.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I would put a vote in for Minnetonka. Never been there myself, but I figure if I cant figure out how to catch the bass I hear there are some rip roaring bashes out there- look for the purple and yellow boat with off the back. (my apologies in advanceto the innocent people who may read this and are offended)

benotto
    Shawano, WI

Metonga is in Crandon. There is a rock line that goes from 20 feet straight down to 80 feet. It is just north of one of the landings, you will have to give that a try.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I tell you what…I put my time in last year on Minnetonka and I really can’t figure it out. I know there are fish on docks all over that lake and in the channels, but I could never figure out the deep stuff. Man, that irritated me…I just need someone to “guide” me that knows what they’re doing.

I agree though…Minnetonka is still a lot of fun. It’s the only place I know that when you take a lunch break there is still always something nice to look at.

brovarney

Crandon—–Crivitz——–Well Metonga is in Wisconsin—-

It is also the only place where I have had consistant Smallmouth action on that extra large Senko……..Big Fish Big Bait

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

You need a 1 ounce jig and then go find yourself a milfoil patch and punch your jig through it. Give it a could shakes and you will have figured it out. The trick is finding the best weed patches. The Docks are always good for a few but the you are always hoping for bright b lue skies.
    jc

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

Quote:

Metonga is in Crandon. There is a rock line that goes from 20 feet straight down to 80 feet. It is just north of one of the landings, you will have to give that a try.

Try Carolina rigginq an arkie craw (Pumpkin/chart Chart Side Down 1/2oz Weight) dragging up ledge from 35 ft to 10 ft in this area, you will be amazed at the size of fish.
    All the humps hold really big smallies. They also hang out around the docks.
    Casey Hewes
    Brovarney Baits
    Swim That Jig,
    Catch That Pig!

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

We had 8 guys from the club do that and no one even got a hit throwing anything from 1oz jigs to heavily weighted plastics…we even cranked the outside of the milfoil. This was in the middle of July, I believe.

Everyone caught there fish off docks, of course we did have bright blue skies.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Mille Lacs….Topwater, Boondoggling Senkos, & baby Mepps spinners . Let me know when you get tired of catching 18″+ Smallies. Then we’ll hammer the LM Bass & Muskies.

Besides, the surrounding lakes are fantastic also. Way too many choices to choose from.

benotto
    Shawano, WI

Chewes and Brovarny….

Do you guys fish in that Metonga tournament? I have never had any luck with a carolina rig, a senko, or dock fishing on that lake. I do best with topwater early in the morning, and then a small tube jig the rest of the day. That lake dropped off a little bit the last couple of years, but it looks like it is on a comeback.

Chewes I have a question for you.

When you are using a carolina rig on that lake what pound test do you use for your line and leader? Also what size weight do you use and how long of a leader do you use? I have tried a carolina rig with not even a bite. Do you saw fish off on those ledges with such light line? Just a few questions.

Brovarny….
    Your jigs are lethal over that grass/rock flat when the wind is blowing. Those smallies just inhale a bluegill or perch colored swim jig. My partner and I did really well in a tournament throwing your jigs. We ended up in 3rd place with the second biggest bass.

djmr
    Holmen, WI

Lake Marinuka is awesome all year round

chewes

2 foot leader (17 lb florocarbon)
    1/2 oz egg weight 2 beeds
    14lb Berkley Sensention Main line.
    Real slow drag up the sides of the humps. The lake is only good for one day tournaments and it fishes small but if you get on them, they are huge smallies. Saw a couple over 6lbs swimming around on the top of a couple humps. 4 fish over 12lbs (4th place). I think it took 15+ to win when we were there. I left fish for the second and had to dump a little guy cause he shrank. Then my club decided a little rain and wind would cancel day 2. Alot guys were waiting for senkos to drop down to 25+ feet of water.
    Casey Hewes
    President
    Brovarney Baits
    Thanks for the nice comments about our jigs.

benotto
    Shawano, WI

Thanks for the advise . I will have to try that up there this year. I can definately seeing that working off of those steep ledges and humps. Thanks again, and when I see you I owe you a adult beverage !!!!!

Thanks again,

Ben

brovarney

How did I end up in that event?

chewes

1 ahead of me just cause I like looking at that sexy trunk.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.