Which body of water would you choose?

• B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

If you were going to take a 3-5 day fishing trip in search of some good consistent bass, where would you go?

You want to make it a “cheap” trip and don’t want to venture TOO far from the midwest, yet you want to fish something “different” from home waters (Mississipi River – La Crosse area).

What are some suggestions you may have? Could be a place you have been or have wanted to go yourself.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

A couple small lakes in Crosby are awesome if you are into Bass

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

The Iowa great lakes area excellent smallmouth and good largemouth also the Mankato Mn area lakes numerous lakes that have good largemouth pop.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Are you talking about now or spring/summer?

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

It’s a question “in general”, not specific to time of year.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

My favorite place is fish is 3 1/2 hours west of where I live (Milwaukee).

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Brainerd area, mainly Lake Hubert. No pressure and full of fish. Always have Gull or Whitefish if you want the big water, the river for smallies, or lots of other little lakes.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

I would stay in the Hayward area, and make 5 seperate days of great fishing:
    Red Cedar
    Long Lake
    Lake Owen
    La Court Orielles
    Chippewa Flowage

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Sturgeon Bay, Little Sturgeon Bay, Chequamegon Bay

shaley
    Milford IA

I second the Iowa Great Lakes, hard to beat West Okoboji or Spirit for smallmouth, some of the smaller lakes around here have plenty of green carp in them to keep a guy busy for along time.

brovarney

I would fish The Bay two days on the east side and two days on the west. I would pick different launches so I could fish up and down the bay without beating myself up. I would do it around the spawn Early June.

brovarney

Different idea (if you are worried about the Wisconsin Bass Federation State Tourney) I would spend Monday thru friday learning the Madison Chain. They end up there every three or four years.

crippledcrappie
    Des Moines, Iowa

Lots of decent lakes north of Brainerd with little pressure. I’ve caught numerous 4 and 5 pound Largemouth and even a 6.5 in this area.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Lake Erie in May. Smallmouth bass fishing at its best.

danwi
    westby wi

I have been thinking about lake mason. I hear you have to make it opening weekend cause the lake is full of grass and weeds. It has alot of stumps and it’s not a big lake so you wouldnt spend alot of time learning it. I may do it this yr

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I like the Madison Chain idea, although if I went there, I would have tournament mindset the whole time…I would like to do this all for fun.

Where is Lake Mason?

What kind of lake is Okoboji?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Mille Lacs Lake, Smallies and Largemouth both are huge and underfished.
    Shallow sight fishing, Deep water, and Slop fishing, it has it all.

Ron

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

B.C.

I would second brovarney’s mention of the Madison Chain. It has some great fish in it. Both Large and Smallmouth’s. Also with-in 30 minutes is Lake Wisconsin if you want to switch up for a river bite. If you choose this area, let me know. I could try to make it up and show you around a little, if that is what you choose. Madison has a great swim jig bite on the flats through the middle of June when the weeds reach the surface. It also has a great deep weedline pattern as well. Lake Wisconsin was strong the whole season as well.

Bassman

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

If you are looking for smallies head up to rainy/ LOW. Chase the foot balls and catch the ocasional shore lunch.

fredbart
    St. Paul

I would fish the Balsam Lake area in Polk County Wisconsin. You have access to larger lakes like Balsam and Wapogasitte. But also many smaller lakes with wonderful underfished populations. For a change up you can hit the St. Croix. Their is a very nice access above the Talyors Falls Dam with access to at least 6 miles of nice smally water.

Can hardly wait!

brovarney

Lake Mason is just northeast of Madison. It turns into a pasture after the weeds get up and is almost unfishable. It has a good population of fish and is popular early in the season.

brovarney

Big Green is another prime Bass lake. You can get on either a smallie or largemouth bite. It has options to do everything from shallow to deep, rock, wood or weeds. It is a pretty good lake to let it all out.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

How about fishing one of the nations best fisheries. Maybe you have heard of it… The Mississippi River?.
    Novel I know but it is one the best I have ever been on.
    jc

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

There are alot of good lakes in the Alexandria, Minnesota area. Polk Co. Wi has a bunch. The Madison chain would be good for a week trip, but the weekends become a morning only thing unless you like being constantly buzzed by skiers and PWC’s.

luv2fish
    Marion, IA

Without a doubt, I’d go to the Alexandria area. There are dozens of lakes within 30 minutes of Alex with awesome largemouth and smallmouth fishing. Clear water, tanic water, reeds, rocks, docks, deep, shallow…lots of fish and quality fish.

duckhunter63
    Eau Claire, WI

Upper Long Lake in Washburn Co. north of Rice Lake, WI is a real nice large mouth fishery, it also has good small mouth and is a grat place for walleyes. Almost half the shoreline is owned by the Boy Scouts, so there is never a large number of boats there. I’ve fished it for a week in early June for several years, and we’ve never run out of fishing spots. Plus there is a bunch of other lakes and the Red Cedar close by if you want to try other water when you are there.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

How about fishing one of the nations best fisheries. Maybe you have heard of it… The Mississippi River?.
    Novel I know but it is one the best I have ever been on.
    jc

What fun is fishing the same water all the time? Fishing different waters is probably the most beneficial thing anyone can do.

2Fishy4U

The Wisconsin River early in the year. Find a reasonably priced motel or camp on one of the Islands in the Muscoda (spelling)area. Also, don’t be suprised if you pick up a few nice Musky or Northern, and the catfishing is great if you want a night bite. Also, very peaceful. The last time I was there we never saw another boat; just a few canoes.

riverfan
    MN

Not exactly serene but the Twin Cities area has some awesome lakes. Minnetonka has it all, clear water, dark water, deep fish shallow fish, big fish. One of my favorites is Waconia. On the east side you have Chisago, N-S Center. Plus, a bunch of smaller lakes to tick from.You could fish for weeks and not hit em all.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

I would like to spend more time on pool 2, to try to figure out those big smallies.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.