ATV Mechanic

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My buddy has a 96 yamaha wolverine 250 he has been neglecting for a few years. It’s been sitting in his backyard mostly untouched for 3 years. The machine itself is in good shape as far as the plastic and seat and everything. He can start it when he tries but it won’t stay running. He told me he thinks perhaps water got into the motor at some point and he had some carb issues before. He’s willing to sell it to me for $300. What I’d like to do is take it to a mechanic to go over it and get it in good running condition. Can anyone recommend a good ATV/small engine mechanic for the job? I’m in the west metro but would trailer the machine up to say 60 miles or so if thats what it took to find a good honest mechanic.

I tried to search for similar posts but couldn’t find anything providing mechanics names.

Thanks

Coletrain27

Take the carb apart and clean it and it will probably run good. Assuming gas sat in it for a long time, clean the tank out also. And change oil

Coletrain27

And it must be a Timberwolf if it’s a 1996 250

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Carbs, it’s the corn gas Sheldon warns about all the time.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Look at some videos online and see if a carb removal and cleaning is something you’d be capable of. Here’s a video.

Or….You can buy a complete aftermarket bolt-on replacement carb for that machine for less than $70. Plenty of examples on Amazon. I’ve been going the replacement route more and more because of the time involved in tearing down, cleaning, rebuilding, and then retuning carbs. Just be aware ATV carbs often need to be rejetted from the stock jets that come in the carb. This is a trial and error process that can be frustrating. Either replace the new carb jets with cleaned jets salvaged from the old carb or get the same jets from another source.

You will also need to drain and flush the tank. Most likely the machine will also need all new fuel lines and filters as well.

Do not try to start the engine dry. Fog the cylinder with oil before turning the machine over to prevent scuffing.

Coletrain27

For that machine I’m guessing it has a good mikuni carb and jets. I would clean the stock one and have much better quality vs a Chinese one. I like to clean jets with a torch tip cleaner.

catmando
    wis

Ace Motorsports, Luck Wis, the man is good. right on 35 N coming into town. DK.

Doug M
    SE SD

To start, I would remove carb and soak in carb cleaner for couple days. Flush tank and lines with fresh fuel. Put back together and try fresh premium with some seafoam and see if it will stay running. May have gummed up needle and seat if it will run but then quit.

Nodakk

Rocket Shop in Dalbo, MN would be my recommendation. Know multiple people with positive reviews from him.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Crappie I have a buddy that does some of that on the side. His main gig is working on cars and Harley’s out of his garage. PM me if you want me to reach out and see if he is interested. He’s in the north metro by me.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I don’t know Carppie, sounds like you got into more than you want to do. I guess I could take it off your hands. It is actually very simple. I would take the tank off and clean it, replace fuel lines, needle, and seat after cleaning the carb. See if that works before bringing it in.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I don’t know Carppie, sounds like you got into more than you want to do. I guess I could take it off your hands. It is actually very simple. I would take the tank off and clean it, replace fuel lines, needle, and seat after cleaning the carb. See if that works before bringing it in.

i havent purchased it from him yet. im just preparing for if i do.

I appreciate the suggestions on doing the work myself and actually working on things myself is something i have been doing more and more of in the last few years. The fact is with 3 boys and we just got two brand new dogs, one 1.5 old and one 4 months old (father and daughter), i just dont have the time to work on anything right now. If i can get the machine for $300 and spend maybe $500-1000 in repairs or whatever it ends up being i figure ill have a good machine to rip around in at the cabin.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Crappie I have a buddy that does some of that on the side. His main gig is working on cars and Harley’s out of his garage. PM me if you want me to reach out and see if he is interested. He’s in the north metro by me.

Thanks John. If i end up purchasing it i will reach out

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If for some reason you decide to pass on it. I will take first dibs, a buddy and me have been talking about getting one for early ice.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

If for some reason you decide to pass on it. I will take first dibs

I think I beat you to that 😊 Good luck Crappie. Sounds like you have your hands full.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.