Any P2 Reports?

• Andrew Hubbard

I’m seeing millions of minnows at night. More than I’ve ever seen on pool 2 but no fish. Water is dirty though.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Decent day out the today….water is dirty, fast and cold but there are fish to be had. Current seams or backwater areas with current seem to be holding fish. Jointed shad raps will get the aggressive fish. Plastics held in the current will get the lethargic ones.

If the water clears up the bite will really turn on.

Water temp was 46 to 48 so it’s come down a couple degrees this week. Lotsa wood in the channels so be careful.

Also saw this guy swimming across the river down by 494.

Attachments:
    1. 19AC5ED5-47B5-4B9F-81CF-45610AE3C3B1.jpeg

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Decent day out the today….water is dirty, fast and cold but there are fish to be had. Current seams or backwater areas with current seem to be holding fish. Jointed shad raps will get the aggressive fish. Plastics held in the current will get the lethargic ones.

Water temp was 46 to 48 so it’s come down a couple degrees this week. Lotsa wood in the channels so be careful.

Did you get a new boat? Saw an x5 with a ranger trailer at HF today. shock

Hoping to get out tomorrow. Probably from lions.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Maybe the Walleyes are a little tired from the contest last weekend grin

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Did you get a new boat? Saw an x5 with a ranger trailer at HF today. shock

Hoping to get out tomorrow. Probably from lions.

Nope….I’ve seen that guy before though. I was at 494 today.

Attachments:
    1. 14FCE222-AB3E-4F16-B20A-A3838C2FBBF5.jpeg

Andrew Hubbard

It sure has been a odd year for me compared to the last couple. But still catching quite a few fish with jointed perch raps. My biggest so far is a 24 incher and a 22. The big pike are biting as well.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I was lucky enough to land a 39” Muskie on P2 a couple weeks ago. Med-light rod, 8lb braid, yellow gulp twister on 1/8oz jig. Gotta love fall on the river!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

That’s awesome – I’ve pulled a few big pike out of the river but never a muskie. Saw a guy fishing on the island by the dam catch a decent muskie a few summers ago on a jig and minnow – it was quite the fight.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Water levels dropping yet? Lake bite is starting to get tough, thinking I might be shore fishing for a bit until ice season unless I’m crappie fishing.

Andrew Hubbard

On pool 2 the water is still rising. Think it’s at 9.5 ft. Today

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Lurker from the Prescott area that finally signed up here. I know most of you but you have no idea who I am wink .

I’ve not been on P2 yet so all of it will be new to me. From my reading it seems the most called out area is Hidden Falls to the dam so I figured that’s the area I’d try first.

My question is regarding a launch site. My trailer does not yet have guides on it (that’ll be part of the next thousand I break out) so it’s beneficial necessary that there is a dock for me to load at hopefully out of any significant current. My boat trailer (16’ Lund Stinger/50 Merc tiller) does not powerload well except under perfect launch angle and conditions, which I’ve yet to find. I’m a one man gang out there so all of that can make it tough.

So with all of that rambling said, can you suggest a good launch that is not a 15 mile drive, I can stay dry launching (I’ll get wet in the summer) and not have the current putting my boat on the trailer sideways?

I’ve seen some YouTube videos of a launch that was in a nice cove, great launchpad and dock.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Not sure when Watergate marina blocks off their access in fall, but you can pay $10 and launch right in marina, nice dock.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

That sounds good, as long as they are open. Not answering the phone now (finding that with a number of marinas) so that might not be a good sign.

I’m happy to pay for a quality launch.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

They probably won’t have someone there on the weekend this time of year. Call during the week and they will give you a code.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Out early this morning in the wind, rain and dark. Picked up a half dozen decent fish but nothing big. All fish came on crank baits moving against the current either pitched or trolled. Depth was 5 to 8 feet. This fall the fish really seem to like the jointed raps.

Water is still high and fast but clearing up. Feels like the bite should only get better. Temp was about 46 so feels like the plastics bite should pick up. Only pitched for a bit and didn’t get anything but it was a battle for boat control in the wind.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That sounds good, as long as they are open. Not answering the phone now (finding that with a number of marinas) so that might not be a good sign.

willies hidden harbor. Mississippi pub both have good ramps.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

If watergate is closed and you want to launch nearer to the confluence/HF/dam area, the other option with a ramp is Fort Snelling State Park. A state park sticker will cover you all year for $35, or the day use fee is still cheaper than Watergate. But call the ranger station first to see if they still have the dock in. The launch is on the Minnesota River, directly across Pike Island. You can run downstream around the tip of the island to the ‘Sippi, or in certain conditions you can use the small channel just downstream from the launch that cuts between Picnic and Pike islands. Will save about 10 minutes but that back channel is shallow and frequently blocked my downed trees.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

The Snelling Park dock is pulled out.
    Jack

Dan Lennander

I have found the Lillydale launch to have much easier load conditions than hidden falls. The downside is a little bit of a ride to the dam but I figure I make that up in less time spent loading.

Viewing 19 posts - 181 through 199 (of 199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.