Any P2 Reports?

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was out Saturday and targeted smallies and did pretty well – really didn’t go after any walleyes. Smallies were caught on plastics and raps tossed into shallow current breaks or near shore around cover. @johnniebirkel even had a few decent ones hooked up on the fly rod.

Probably be out Friday for a few hours and target walleyes on my summer time trolling runs. Let me know if anyone else has/is out and having any luck.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Decent bite at around Hidden Falls on Sunday. Lots of numbers but the cotton was starting to fly which is a pain in the butt for trolling cranks. 4 hours about a dozen eyes and sauger, 6 smallies and a couple white bass. Nothing big though, just good action.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

It’s depressing how long it’s been since I’ve been on the river. Going to hopefully be out there early Sunday depending on conditions and weather.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Conditions are good right now. Good flow but water is down and clearing. If we get some stable conditions the bite should be good for awhile for all species.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We had the river to ourselves tonight. Took out a guy from Jersey and we caught 40-50 fish total, half walleye/sauger/saugeye

Attachments:
    1. A3EB1680-943C-4DC0-AD6E-B1327208222B.jpeg

2. D6AFB1D6-B9DD-4F68-80F1-7B9C24970AC6.jpeg

3. 8DF79320-27F2-4542-8029-4635AA871CA6.jpeg

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Conditions are good right now. Good flow but water is down and clearing. If we get some stable conditions the bite should be good for awhile for all species.

Sounds good. The little boat is ready for some fish slime and spilled Hamm’s.

@DaveB1
    nice work out there. I was running down in Crosby Farm Park at about 6pm and I saw 1 lonely boat out there.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

If it was a little black Sylvan you should have shouted wazzup!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

i’m too overweight to run and shout at the same time but I’ll find a way next time.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Loon call? Loud fart? I respond to many things

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

i’m too overweight to run and shout at the same time but I’ll find a way next time.

I’m with you on this….when I’m running I use all of my available oxygen for breathing. Talking and yelling expends too much of it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Loon call? Loud fart? I respond to many things

I like this idea. I’m sure many of us IDOrs pass each other daily. If we find another boat/shoreguy suspicious we just give the secret decoder signal to see if they are one of us.

Then again, this is P2 so that signal might get a strange friendly to follow you around rest of day too doah

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Great now all of P2 will sound like this!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like this idea. I’m sure many of us IDOrs pass each other daily. If we find another boat/shoreguy suspicious we just give the secret decoder signal to see if they are one of us.

I think we really need a secret something whether it a handshake, tip of the hat, etc.

I’ve quite often wondered as I walk thru Gander, Cabelas, Joes, Ice show, etc. how many of IDo’ers am I passing by.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

James should make up some IDO stickers we could put on the boat. Or loon call whatever works.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Lake street handshake?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Lake street handshake?

Lake Street handshake you say?
    I grew up on Lake Street and I’m not quite sure I’m familiar with this Lake Street handshake you speak of? But I like it!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

It’s all about the respect. Maybe some black bandanas hanging out of all our back right Columbia shorts pockets. Fish gangsters. Noone would F with us.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We could just whisper “green sunfish”

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    Lake street handshake?

I grew up on Lake Street and I’m not quite sure I’m familiar with this Lake Street handshake you speak of? But I like it!

I think if you hangout in your car long enough at Lilydale or Hidden Falls you’ll find out what the ‘handshake’ is.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    Lake street handshake?

I think if you hangout in your car long enough at Lilydale or Hidden Falls you’ll find out what the ‘handshake’ is.

I remember going down to hidden falls when it was a gravel road and there was no ramp for a landing. Ahh – the good ole days.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Decent couple hours this afternoon. Wallies, smallies, sheepies, and kitties caught trolling up and down from dam to confluence. Upstream and downstream produced about the same.

Lotta junk to deal with in the water but conditions are really good. Water temp in low 70’s and good clarity.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Starting tomorrow a mid 90s white Crestliner with a 120johnnie will be a regular down on P2. Give me the secret decoder signal and we can shoot the $hit.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’ll be on shore by either watergate or HF close to the dam. Black shirt blue shorts red hat. I’ll put my arm straight up in the air and/or fart

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Be out tomorrow cruising in the afternoon with the family. White Lund with a talon and 90 hp Johnson 4 stroke.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I’ll be out tomorrow morning if the wind isn’t crazy. Currently wunderground says 15-20mph which might be a bit much for the little boat.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Was at hidden falls this afternoon/evening with a buddy. We did pretty bad–four sheepies. Last 2 times down there it’s been just a few sheepies and nothing else. Using jigs with gulp minnows/twisters and cranks. I find it odd I’m not finding the usual abundance of little smallies and few walleyes. Saw a guy catch 2 small sunfish with a bigger catfish hook and crawlers though lol. Didn’t stick it out until dark though, unfortunately. Hope something ne else did better! One kayak and a small red boat up there tonight

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Also wonder if maybe direct tying this new high viz 8# 832 had an impact on my lack of bites….

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Personally I’ll be carrying leeches and crawlers from here on.

Even if I didn’t believe high vis line deters bites, which I do, I’d still put on a mono leader just for snags. Hate trying to rip off lures on braid. 10# mono breaks off nicely on 8# crystal. Quick retie to the mono, don’t have to look for scissors to cut braid or anything.

It’s a win win.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Up in Canada fishing lake trout in 100′ of water I debated if fish could see the line or not with my canadian friends. I was convinced that the fish could not see the line that deep. So a friendly bet was wagered and I switched to 20# 832, I was fishing with 17# Mono. Fish were biting good that day and bites stopped for me as soon as I switched. Friends in boat were continuing to catch fish and finally put a 17# leader of mono on the end of the 832 and started catching fish again. Would never have believed that it could have made a difference. I always use a mono leader now with braid. My canadian friends would not fish with anything heavier than 12# mono but fishing in same boat there was no difference in amount of fish caught or size between the 12# and 17#. I liked the 17# because I felt I could feel the jig being picked up better with that much line out.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If I was from shore I’d be pitching cranks anywhere I could find structure or current. You’ll catch a lot of fish with live bait but if you want walleye or smallie id go to cranks pitched parallel and 45 degrees to shore.

You can also site fish for the smallies this time of year. Watch for bait fish and swirls and pitch cranks it plastics into them.

I’d also get down to fort Snelling or even across at the dog park.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.