Any P2 Reports?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

In high water that shoreline from the dog beach down to the inlet above fort snelling was real good. Nice back/slack current would set up there. good for trolling cranks or pitching plastics, hair jigs.

buschman
    Pool 2

Guys, on the line…. You can use whatever color you want on the Mississippi. This is no comparison to lake trout or clear water fishing.. Its the Mississippi and the fish do not care!!
    If tying leader line you just end up with one more knot that can fail and will drag more water. This is just my opinion but have tested it many times and have seen no difference to colored line. I use power pro in green most days but do have a few spools of suffix in yellow and it does not seem to hurt one bit. Just my opinion.

buschman
    Pool 2

Here is my wife with a pool 2 double on Friday. She doesn’t like me posting pictures of her so used the old edit.. I always have her run the hi vis yellow when we go out. This way I get a better idea of where her line is at all times and can help here while pitching jigs.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Guys, on the line…. You can use whatever color you want on the Mississippi. This is no comparison to lake trout or clear water fishing.. Its the Mississippi and the fish do not care!!
    If tying leader line you just end up with one more knot that can fail and will drag more water. This is just my opinion but have tested it many times and have seen no difference to colored line. I use power pro in green most days but do have a few spools of suffix in yellow and it does not seem to hurt one bit. Just my opinion.

Agreed. I run the multicolored metered power pro trolling p2. Direct tie to crank bait. Funny, the walleye don’t seem to care if they get the orange, yellow, green or blue section.

That said, there are times when the water clears up quite a lot, so maybe it makes more of a difference then — for example winter on p4? I can see how a flouro leader could help in that cold clear stuff?

buschman
    Pool 2

Here is my wife with a pool 2 double on Friday. She doesn’t like me posting pictures of her so used the old edit.. I always have her run the hi vis yellow when we go out. This way I get a better idea of where her line is at all times and can help here while pitching jigs.

Attachments:
    1. Monica-double.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Nice fish.

You won’t convince me that walleye aren’t sensitive to line color. I’ve seen it happen too many times when clear line outfishes colored. Let me be clear that I am talking about finesse presentations like vertical jigging minnows or plastics. When it comes to trolling I believe those are pure reaction strikes and line doesn’t matter as much. Trolling downstream fast doesn’t leave the bait in the strike zone for long. Vertical jigging certainly does and for finicky fish that color matters.

I troll usually with green power pro or white suffix 832.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I use bright green fireline so when I drift back to let the cranks pop out of snags I can see my line better and keep it out of the prop.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I could be using neon orange yarn and still snag the prop…..had a couple last week when going downstream that almost spooled me. Then I get turned around trying to run the trolling motor and big motor while not smashing shore or cutting off my line. I’m sure it’s quite the sight if you are watching from shore.

Dan Lennander

Hey everyone, long time lurker but finally made an account so I can contribute to the conversation.

I was out on Saturday (6/9) for about 5 hours before the rain came. The sheephead and catfish were going crazy, not sure how many I caught. I finally got into a couple walleyes up by the ford dam, but by that time the sky was starting to look threatening and I wasn’t really wanting to get too wet.

The walleyes I caught were biting pretty short and very light (jig and a minnow).

I was hoping to get out Sunday too, but the river rose about a foot with all the rain and the discharge went from 25,000 cfs to over 30,000 cfs. Hopefully all that water flushes out and next weekend the river is back around 25,000 cfs.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Funny you mentioned catfish, I was only out for a couple hours due to the rain but had a couple of channel cats crush my crank baits. Some decent walleye and smallies in the mix too. The bite is still very good for numbers.

Oh and lots of smiles too!

Attachments:
    1. 73D20B2F-4690-41C1-8D36-5E44E187190C.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I battled the rain and weather all day Saturday – out from about 1 til 8pm. The fishing was pretty good all day with a solid mixed bag of walleye, sheepies, smallies and crappies. No big walleyes but a decent bunch of mid to upper teens fish.

Caught most fish trolling cranks but also picked them up dragging crawlers and pitching cranks. Best walleye action was between 7-8pm. Most fish came trolling down stream and most were pretty shallow inside of current seams in 4-7ft of water.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I caught 4-5 channels in two outings(fri-sat), with one being probably 4.5 lbs—one of the bigger ones I’ve caught down there. They may not be the prettiest fish(don’t tell BK I said that) but they sure do fight hard and won’t hesitate to hit whatever you throw at em!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2640.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Matt I didn’t see ya out there. You have a newer Lund don’t ya? I didn’t get out till about 3 maybe but was there after dark. Started at the dam, worked my way down to high bridge where they tore up my catfish spot bawling

Had the Bimini on most of day. Pretty cozy in there watching the rain come down grin

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Yeah, I’ve got a white Lund with 90HP Johnson and a Talon hanging off the back. I was up at the dam having a picnic with the wife and daughter from about 5-6 pm. I didn’t see anyone with a bimini but there was a guy parked on the island sitting under a Vikings awning. Was that you?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Weird, must’ve missed each other somehow.

Got some big suckers in oxygen bags for tonight.

Got to pick up some bug repellant. Last week had me thinking they moved elsewhere, until I dropped the boat off last night, holy crapoly the mosquitos were on a terror.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My boat for reference.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160905_123853474_HDR.jpg

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

The Vikings awning was there from 2-7pm at least

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Funny, there were a couple of boats by the dam. Vikings guy, a small tiller on the Minnehaha side, and then another small tin boat on the seam off the island with a few guys in it. Was that you @AUTO_5? I’ve seen that boat down a few times this spring.

I was mainly trolling down south but after the rain stopped the bugs came out with a vengeance. Need to bring the Thermacell on the boat next time.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I was on the rip rap on St. Paul side on shore

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Anyone hear badly performed owl hooting from shore lately? Someone is sending out secret signals we didn’t authorize here…..

mark z
    South Minneapolis

A great 3 hours on the river, (9:00 am – noon). Water temp down to 70 degrees. River is high again after Saturdays rain. Fish are hungry. Pike, sheepies, smallies, walleye and sauger. Nothing real big, but lots of action. Cranks puled upstream. Its the Goldilocks snydrome again… not too much current, not too little. I had to find the current seams where there was good dips on the bottom, or snake troll off and on ledges along a current seam. Peel them out of their hidey holes. Also pulling the lure forward and letting it drift back triggered many of the bites. Have at it.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anyone hear badly performed owl hooting from shore lately? Someone is sending out secret signals we didn’t authorize here…..

I told a story awhile ago about my experience with these groups when I was shorefishing at Hidden Falls. Couple groups hooting at each other through the woods….they approached me while I was cutting through the woods back to my car. Nothing happened but a handful of people surrounded me near my car and it felt a bit dicey. Seemed like transient teens camping in the woods.

Could’ve been angry millennials?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Seemed like transient teens camping in the woods.

More likely gay men looking for anonymous sex…. Pretty well documented down there. coffee

-J.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

That was me you told that story to—I remember it. I always see tons of remnants(a lot of times fresh/new) of people camping out and doing weird sh*t down there, and it just amazes me that I’ve never had any kind of run-in with weirdos in my 15+ years of romping. And for many years I was down there 5 nights a week, almost always after dark. Knock on wood…

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I thought we agreed the hoot was the secret IDO beacon? I was down there all night waiting for one of you guys to invite me aboard.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Lmao

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Saw 3 dudes swimming in their skivvies at the dog park in the rain on Saturday….seemed to catch them a bit off guard as I trolled by.

@AUTO_5 I don’t think you are looking hard enough for the weirdness down there!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Back on topic. River is coming up in a hurry this week!

-J.

Attachments:
    1. pool2.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Fantastic. Those shoreline current seams on the upper river should really heat up with the water coming up this week.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.