$84 million contract

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Can’t say I’m surprised, Zimmer has been fed up for a few weeks.

Stefanski got screwed last winter, blocked from a promotion to the Giants while watching DeFilippo get a promotion to come to the Vikes. Not saying Stefanski submarined it this year but I’m hopeful he’ll do a good job and he can get the full time job going forward.

x2!!! Stefanski has been here a long time, and I wanted him to get the promotion coming into this year.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

They should have got rid of Zimmer at the same time. I believe he’s as much if not more responsible for this mess of a season.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have watched some football this year and all I can say is NFL refs are the absolute worst officials than any sport.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They should have got rid of Zimmer at the same time. I believe he’s as much if not more responsible for this mess of a season.

On what grounds? Seriously would love to hear the reasoning on this…

Anonymous
    Inactive

RELAX folks… Its the vikings, the team who brought you 41 doughnut, 12 men in the huddle, wide left, wide right, multiple times, take a knee, give up 38 straight the game after a miracle win.

Do you really expect anything else from these guys???

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

They all have had oxygen pumped up their arrses since the Miracle, they have been living on it,inhaling it and running around giggling about how good they are.
    Since that day it’s been all unfulfilled expectations of showing up and winning before the game is even played.
    Typical Viking season,how many times have they made it to the NFC championship game and got there butts kicked and then comeback the following year proclaiming themselves as genuine Super Bowl contenders.

jester

Dan
    Southeast MN

Probably the right call to get rid of the OC, I would hope/assume Priefer is gone in the offseason? I see no justification for him keeping that position. How many kickers have they gone through, and even reliable Dan Bailey is struggling? Kicking game has been bad for years and the rest of special teams has just been meh.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Probably the right call to get rid of the OC, I would hope/assume Priefer is gone in the offseason? I see no justification for him keeping that position. How many kickers have they gone through, and even reliable Dan Bailey is struggling? Kicking game has been bad for years and the rest of special teams has just been meh.

Well since we got rid of Karlson earlier this year, and Bailey’s been terrible, we can always trade up for another kicker in the draft! That’s the most effective way to improve our OL right?

bassh8er

Cousins is a career 4-24 against teams with a winning record and 0-5 this year.

A lot of you guys were wanting to stick with Keenum last year and I can’t begin to tell you how well that’s worked out for my Broncos.

Cousins is better than Keenum but both are far cries from a guy that can win you games in January.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Also, just did the math, pretty involved so be impressed. In our 5 losses against teams with a winning record, we’ve scored 17.6 points per game….

That’s not going to get it done. That includes a 30 point game against the Rams. Take that one out and we put up 14.5 ppg against Bears/Saints/Patriots/Seahawks.

Woof

rmartin
    United States

hah hah

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chomps wrote:</div>
    what a classless thing to do, let a coach go and it’s not even the end of the season!

LOL, good one

Why can’t Cuzins, DeFilippo and Zimner all just get along?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

x2!!! Stefanski has been here a long time, and I wanted him to get the promotion coming into this year.

Nothing against Stefanski. What makes a quarterback coach a good prospect for play calling.

I get why defilipo was hired.
    Falling into a trap of poaching a coach from a winning team, a quarter back coach, really?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Nothing against Stefanski. What makes a quarterback coach a good prospect for play calling.

That is the natural progression for OC’s in the NFL, they are promoted from QB (the highest offensive assistant under OC) coach to OC. Stefanski has held nearly every position coach position for the Vikings getting promoted each step of the way. Conversely Flip was QB coach under Frank Reich who was OC under offensive play calling HC Doug Pedersen, so Flip’s influence in Philly is debatable as he was further down the chain than Stefanski is despite same titles.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Well, I’M in for giving him a chance, sure deserves it. Working directly with Cousins should give him an edge up on things with not much time for him to set things up, sure wish him the best.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>

Well since we got rid of Karlson earlier this year, and Bailey’s been terrible, we can always trade up for another kicker in the draft! That’s the most effective way to improve our OL right?

What’s funny is Carlson is 28 of 29 for the Raiders on all kicks since leaving the Vikes. They should send Priefer packing too. Coaching has to be part of it with the Vikes kickers and Priefer has been here while now.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I’ll be as unsurprised if Priefer is let go at the end of the season than I was yesterday when I found out about Flip. Flip proved he wasn’t up to the job.

disco bobber

I think you have to question Zimmer. 2 seasons ago it was a 5-0 start. They finished 8-8 and did not make the playoffs.

Last year they did not show up for the NFC championship game. Now the wheels are coming off of this season.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m starting to question Zimmer myself. Can someone please explain to me the virtues of a bend dont break defense!? I hate it! You just give up 10 yard throws all day until the red zone and hope your front 4 get home. Zimmer was supposed to be the inventor of the deadly A gap blitz or whatever they call it. Hes supposed to be a blitz genius with all these packages and yet I barely see us blitz. And it’s not like we dont gave the personal to do it with Barr and kendricks and Harrison perfectly capable.

As for cousins he looked bad last week. My one complaint on him is he needs to let the ball go quicker. Our O-line is the biggest problem in our team right now though. That and a lack of a running game which goes hand in hand

FryDog62

If you upgrade the O line and have a talented O Coordinator – you complement what you have now perfectly.

A good O line makes a very good but immobile quarterback shine, and a good O Coordinator makes a defensive-minded Head coach look like a genius…

Those are the only 2 missing parts people..

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Flip was this year’s coach De Jour with announcers singing his praises as the next great head coach.
    Last year if they scored 21 or more points, we won like 93% of the time. The defense has given them the the same chance this year sans the Rams and a couple others. They held Brees to the worst game of his carreer. This season is all on the offense, on the field and the sidelines. Cousins’ biggest problem this year is playcalling and extremely high expectations. I know, 84 million…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You paid $84 million for the talent, not the results. The $84 million is for what the Wilfs perceived as the missing link. It’s the coaches and general managers job to convince the Wilfs that there WAS NOT enough talent around Cousins. Everybody from the Wilfs down had to sign off on that contract. At no time did Cousins walk into Ziggy’s office, sick a gun in his face and say pay me.

The day they signed Cousins, Spielman, and everybody else inside of the palace should have been doing everything with-in their power to make sure Cousins had everything he needed not to fail.

This one isn’t on Cousins. He is exactly the guy he has always been. It’s on

1) Wilfs for spending $84 million on him.
    2) Spielman for not protecting Cousins and hiring the hot name who had never done anything in his career as a coordinator.
    3) Zimmer who kept his mouth shut trying to protect Spielman and keeping his job.

Crap runs downhill, it’s just the wrong guys are on the bottom of this hill.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Another thing………..stand up and wave your hand if your companies competitor comes calling and offers you $84 million (guaranteed) to do the exact same job you are doing now. wave

You taking the job?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think you have to question Zimmer. 2 seasons ago it was a 5-0 start. They finished 8-8 and did not make the playoffs.

They still finished 6th in scoring defense that year, the wheels fell off once we were down to third stringers across the o line, and Norv Turner still wanted to throw deep all game.

I’m starting to question Zimmer myself. Can someone please explain to me the virtues of a bend dont break defense!?

I don’t think bend but don’t break is an accurate description of Zim’s defense’s, we’ve been 14th, 13th, 3rd and 1st in defensive yards under Zimmer (and are currently 5th this year). Scoring Defense is the most important defensive stat imo, and in his first four years we finished 11th, 5th, 6th and 1st in scoring defense. And we are currently 11th this year. My biggest complaints with Zimmer are when we are playing with a lead he goes to prevent too early and often, when his original game plan was dominating. And he’s not the greatest at clock management, but he has improved a lot the last couple years. Those are pretty minimal complaints, and I really do not understand the Anti-Zimmer people. He’s already in the convo for greatest Vikings coach of my life (I’m 36), probably second to Denny Green. BelleTaine hit the nail on the head, the problems this year are almost entirely on the offense, and after not being able to resolve those issues internally they fired the OC.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Another thing………..stand up and wave your hand if your companies competitor comes calling and offers you $84 million (guaranteed) to do the exact same job you are doing now. wave

You taking the job?

If they throw in Vikes season tickets. wave

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

You taking the job?

If they throw in Vikes season tickets. wave

rotflol rotflol NOW……….thats funny!!!!!!!!!!! peace

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m starting to question Zimmer myself. Can someone please explain to me the virtues of a bend dont break defense!? I hate it! You just give up 10 yard throws all day until the red zone and hope your front 4 get home. Zimmer was supposed to be the inventor of the deadly A gap blitz or whatever they call it. Hes supposed to be a blitz genius with all these packages and yet I barely see us blitz. And it’s not like we dont gave the personal to do it with Barr and kendricks and Harrison perfectly capable.

As for cousins he looked bad last week. My one complaint on him is he needs to let the ball go quicker. Our O-line is the biggest problem in our team right now though. That and a lack of a running game which goes hand in hand

I could be off here, but I think the blitz thing might be related to us getting lit up in certain games this year when we tried that. Our hallmark last year was getting to the quarterback and NOT giving up any big plays. I was amazed earlier this year how often we were giving up big plays on defense. Off the top of my head I remember multiple plays against the Bills where there was a receiver WIDE open. Or watching our LBs fail to stay within 37 yards of Cooper Kupp against the Rams(this one might not be blitz related).

It just seems like we have been a lot more prone to giving up big chunks of yardage this year, not sure if that’s specifically when we blitz or not though.

Our defense has kept us in every single game this year. You can debate whether to count the Bill game in this, but that one might be more on offensive turnovers.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I wish we had an attack style defense. We are lauded as having a great defense and as bigwerm pointed out our numbers are not bad but I dont think anyone fears playing us. If we are going to be a team known for its defense I want to be the type of team that intimidates the hell out of their opponent. I dont see that when I watch the Vikings. I watch kalil mack play and guys are scared as crap to line up and face this dude. He dominates. I get he is an all world talent. The purple people eaters, you watch highlights of them and they were destroying other teams and blowing guys up! As good as our defense is I dont see that type of enforcement happening really ever on our squad. It shouldn’t be a problem with talent so I can only assume it’s a result of coaching and our team mindset. The only player on our team i see with that type of mindset is sendejo. I’m sure some will say you cant play that way in the nfl anymore but that’s the job of the coach to find a way to get that attitude on the field legally

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The sad fact of todays NFL is you waste a hitter like Harrison playing him in the secondary where he can’t touch anybody. Pump him full of PED’s and turn him into a rushing linebacker.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Last year they did not show up for the NFC championship game. Now the wheels are coming off of this season.

I am starting to wonder about Zimmer, if my math is correct two out of the last three years he has canned or forced his OC out Mid-season.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Zimmer was supposed to be the inventor of the deadly A gap blitz or whatever they call it. Hes supposed to be a blitz genius with all these packages and yet I barely see us blitz. And it’s not like we dont gave the personal to do it with Barr and kendricks and Harrison perfectly capable.

We’ve had some CB injuries and lack of depth and quality players there this year, so if you are able to get pressure on the QB with 4 DL, which the Vikings do, then you have no need to blitz so you can get more guys helping in coverage. Save your blitzes for a few times a game when you really need them and have a look you’ve seen through scouting where you’re nearly guaranteeing yourself a sack, which we do 1-2 times a game off a corner blitz.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.