$84 million contract

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>disco bobber wrote:</div>
    I think you have to question Zimmer. 2 seasons ago it was a 5-0 start. They finished 8-8 and did not make the playoffs.

They still finished 6th in scoring defense that year, the wheels fell off once we were down to third stringers across the o line, and Norv Turner still wanted to throw deep all game.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>
    I’m starting to question Zimmer myself. Can someone please explain to me the virtues of a bend dont break defense!?

I don’t think bend but don’t break is an accurate description of Zim’s defense’s, we’ve been 14th, 13th, 3rd and 1st in defensive yards under Zimmer (and are currently 5th this year). Scoring Defense is the most important defensive stat imo, and in his first four years we finished 11th, 5th, 6th and 1st in scoring defense. And we are currently 11th this year. My biggest complaints with Zimmer are when we are playing with a lead he goes to prevent too early and often, when his original game plan was dominating. And he’s not the greatest at clock management, but he has improved a lot the last couple years. Those are pretty minimal complaints, and I really do not understand the Anti-Zimmer people. He’s already in the convo for greatest Vikings coach of my life (I’m 36), probably second to Denny Green. BelleTaine hit the nail on the head, the problems this year are almost entirely on the offense, and after not being able to resolve those issues internally they fired the OC.

All the Def. stats on zimmer would look excellent if all he was is a Def. Cord. But he is not – He’s the head coach. You hear all the time that good Def. wins superbowls – How many have our great Def’s won. He was a big part in getting cousin’s in here and never liked Case. You can say what you want, but I think we would have been just as well off or better if Case was still the QB here. Just my .02 worth.

zooks

You guys are nuts if you think this defense is a bend-but-don’t-break style. Zimmer’s defense is one of the 5-6 most complex, attacking style defenses in the league. Just because he doesn’t send 6-7 rushers on every pass play doesn’t mean he’s playing soft.

Agree that I’m concerned about Zimmer as the head coach in total, seems like he’s been too hands off for the offense and IMO you can’t do that. Game plans for all phases in the game have to be in sync to do complementary things and that seems to come and go with this team, hopefully they can straighten that out going forward.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Can be top ten in Offense and or Top ten in Defense, but when you special teams suck across the board you will be # 1 in playoff losses.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

All the Def. stats on zimmer would look excellent if all he was is a Def. Cord. But he is not

Well he calls all the defensive plays so….

He was a big part in getting cousin’s in here and never liked Case. You can say what you want, but I think we would have been just as well off or better if Case was still the QB here. Just my .02 worth.

That would be because none of the professional football evaluators in the NFL like Case, if they did we wouldn’t have been able to sign him for next to nothing last year, and he would have signed a much larger contract with much larger guarantees this year. On the flip side it is kind of like the multiple teams that were willing to offer Cousins as much or more (the Jets) than we did. Last year was awesome, and Case was a huge part in that, but that was an outlier of his career not a trend as his performance this year is showing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    All the Def. stats on zimmer would look excellent if all he was is a Def. Cord. But he is not

Well he calls all the defensive plays so….

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    He was a big part in getting cousin’s in here and never liked Case. You can say what you want, but I think we would have been just as well off or better if Case was still the QB here. Just my .02 worth.

That would be because none of the professional football evaluators in the NFL like Case, if they did we wouldn’t have been able to sign him for next to nothing last year, and he would have signed a much larger contract with much larger guarantees this year. On the flip side it is kind of like the multiple teams that were willing to offer Cousins as much or more (the Jets) than we did. Last year was awesome, and Case was a huge part in that, but that was an outlier of his career not a trend as his performance this year is showing.

Well if Last year was a outlier for Case and this year is his trend. Then all of Cousins Career must be his trend – And that career trend is not a great sign for the Vikings future. If the Vikings can get enough pieces correct around him can we win with a Average game manager type of QB – Yes. But a average Game manager type of QB was not what the Vikings had hoped for when they paid the top $ for cousins. If a Average Game manager type of QB was what we were looking for – I think we had that already here are the career stats for Case and Kurt:
    Case 26-25 – record in games he has started
    Kurt 32-36

Case 62% – Career passing completion rate
    Kurt 66%

Case 2.2% career interception rate
    Kurt 2.4

Neither of them are all that impressive. I’m just saying so far its looking like we overpaid for what we got. I really hope in a few years I can say I was wrong and Cousins turns into the QB we had hoped he was.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

We paid market value for Cousins. Keenum got a boatload of money in Denver also. If you don’t like how much QBs get paid, that is a whole other issue.

Look at Philip Rivers. Similar to Cousins in that he could never “win the big game” and also similar in that he is a pocket passer and NEEDS protection. Chargers are maybe, maybe finally making a run this year and Rivers is having a career year.

Our offensive line is the problem, followed by play calling that is not playing to the strengths we do have. Both of those issues have lead to deteriorating play by Cousins.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.