$84 million contract

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Might be a long three years until the contract is up for Kirk Cousins. His individual stats are good for the season but he can’t seem to win the big one.

Not that he is playing that bad or it’s all his fault but man I don’t think he is the missing piece to winning the big one.

The bigger the game the worse he seems to play.

Pete S

sorry purple faithful, not gonna get a whole lot of sympathy from packer fans for getting screwed by a bad call in seattle.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Offensive line is completely useless. Hard for kirk to do anything with his offensive linemen getting pushed back into him. kirk seems to take to long to get rid of the ball but has shown if given time can deliver the ball accurately. And agree with Pete vikings going nowhere this year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Was Cousins supposed to stop the Seahawks from piling up 219 yards rushing as well? Does Cousins call all the plays?

I’m no Vikings fan(furthest thing from it) and they have a ton of talent on the 53 man roster, but it’s not a Superbowl team. The Defense is good at times and average at others. Is Everson still on the team? He seems to have cashed-in and faded. The offensive line is below average at best, and the jury is still out on Cousins being more than about a solid B-. There’s far more than one person or unit to blame as it was a collective loss by everyone involved… including coaches.

The Vikings have carved out a 2 year window to really make a run before they are likely going to have considerable roster changes/decisions to make. If they can find a solid offensive lineman in the draft (making them cheap) and spend on a veteran CB in free agency to come push guys and add depth, they will be right back towards the top of the NFC. The Packers are facing tougher decisions with finding a coach and not wasting Rodgers remaining time, the Bears are overachieving a bit on the backs of a solid defense, and the Lions are the Lions. The North has never been more wide open for the Vikings taking in 2019. I still like them as the last wildcard team this season even after tonight’s loss. Anything beyond that would be a stretch, but the league has a lot of parody this season.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If they don’t fire our offensive coordinator today, I’ll be pissed. HORRIBLE play calling. And it’s been that way for quite a few games.

disco bobber

Offensive line is completely useless. Hard for kirk to do anything with his offensive linemen getting pushed back into him. kirk seems to take to long to get rid of the ball but has shown if given time can deliver the ball accurately. And agree with Pete vikings going nowhere this year.

It has been useless since at least the Ponder days. It always comes up as a need the vikes have but never gets addressed. Spielman’s problem?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hard to believe this is the same team that scored 31 on the road against the Rams. I get the feeling the coaching staff is becoming dysfunctional and Zimmer can be a bit cocky in his decision making. No balance when it comes to drafting and signing players and it shows on offense. Cousins great stats are meaningless if they don’t win. They haven’t beat a team with a winning record which leads me to only see one win out of the final three and finishing 7-8-1.
    On to next year…

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

When you spend $84 million on a QB it doesn’t leave a lot of room left to pay offensive linemen.
    Looking back to last year’s successes the “O” line play wasn’t much different but Case Keenum was much more mobile and elusive than Cousins. Keenum made a lot of big plays after pass protection broke down.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The defense played about as well as it could. You can’t fault them for allowing 6 points on the road against a playoff team in rainy weather. The offense and play calling is absolutely atrocious. Part of the issue is the O line but Bradford had a worse one two years ago and still got by. Even at 6-6-1, they’re in a wild card spot and I think they’ll finish 9-6-1 or 8-7-1 to earn a wild card berth. The good news is that Carolina, Washington, and Philly are all tanking too.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ve seen deer-in-the-headlights-look before but nothing like I saw last night from the $84,000,000.00 man.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Every passing play Cousins had guys immediately in his face or he was running for his life…Kirk is NOT the problem…You put Erin Rodgers or Brady with this 0-line and they’ll be doing the same thing…

It all starts (and ends) with the O-line, those who mention our lack of adequately addressing it the past few years via the draft or FA have a legit gripe…Speilman and Zimmer decided to put the cap $$ towards the defense and try to compensate for the O-line deficiencies, so far it’s not working out…

BUT how many teams have gone into New England and Seattle over the past 5+ years and won there? It’s not easy, I think what’s most frustrating to Vikings fans is that the team has chances to potentially win those games but failed to execute…

I’m a frustrated Vikings fan, but not losing all hope, IF we can get into the playoffs, anything can happen…

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

That blocked kick was Packers all over again ! What,s with Seattle and officiating ?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Is 84 million a lot? Yes. Guaranteed? YES.

However, that is the going rate and the state of the league for a starting QB that is average to above average (remove Blake Bortles, Case Keenum, Tyrod Taylor, etc. who are in the $15-$20 million a year range.) Every QB contract signed for anybody who is just barely a starting QB will always be the biggest contract ever signed at that point in time, until the next guy signs.

2013: Joe Flacco, 6 years, $120.6 million
    2013: Aaron Rodgers, 5 years, $110 million, $54 million guaranteed
    2013: Tony Romo, 6 years, $108 million, $55 million guaranteed
    2013: Matt Ryan, 5 yaers, $104 million, $59 million guaranteed
    2014: Jay Cutler, 7 years, $127 million
    2014: Colin Kaepernick, 6 years, $126 million, $61 million guaranteed
    2014: Andy Dalton, 6 years, $115 million
    2016: Andrew Luck 6 years, $140 million, $87 million guaranteed
    2016: Joe Flacco, 3 years, $67 million extension onto 2012 deal
    2017: Derek Carr, 5 years, $125 million, $70 million guaranteed
    2017: Matthew Stafford, 5 years, $135 million,
    2018: Jimmy Garoppolo, 5 years, $137.5 million, $74 million guaranteed
    2018: Kirk Cousins, 3 years, $84 million, all guaranteed
    2018: Matt Ryan, 5 years, $150 million, $100 million guaranteed
    2018: Aaron Rodgers, 4 years, $134 million, $100 million guaranteed

Point being, yeah Cousins has a big contract, but it falls exactly in line with any other deal of a starting QB. Unless you can get a top 5 draft pick and a franchise QB, which isn’t happening to the Vikings in the next few years, then they probably made the best move that they could make to get a QB in signing Cousins.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I think the Vikes have been out coached on every level since the debacle of the NFC championship last year. So many coaching mistakes cant count them…

EX: How many times will they try and run the ball on 3rd and short with Latavius Murray and end up with Zilch, Nada, nothing?

And thats just one issue……very poor coaching and play calling. IMHO

Anonymous
    Inactive

Who really cares?? I’m not even convinced the players give a rats rear end. I really feel sorry for the season ticket holders who can’t just switch the channel.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Cousins could certainly play better, but he is a bit hindered with his OL play. Who’s fault is the poor OL play? Tough to say. For starters, your OL coach passed away a week before the season began. Position coaches are the head coach of that position group, they are the one who coaches those guys and teaches them everything, not the Head Coach of the team. So you’ve already got a massive problem going against your OL before the season starts. You then lose 1 starter in training camp (Nick Easton) and have to rely on a guy you brought in to be an average backup (Tom Compton) to start. They could have and should have done a better job at acquiring new talent in the off season rather than relying on Hill or O’Neil at RT, however O’Neil does show A LOT of promise as a rookie this year. It would be nice to make a big move on the OL in the off season. Reiff is decent, not great. Elflien is okay, has a lot of upside for a second year player. Remmers is serviceable but that’s about it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Last week on 3rd or 4th Down and long they keep passing 2 yard passes. Where were those passes this week on 3rd or 4th and 1 yard. They have better than average receivers, Still a top D, Average or better RB’s, A average ( At Best ) QB and a poop O line. We would have been much better off using some of that money they Paid Cousins and spent it towards a better O line and just keep the QB we had. Cousins has never came up big when needed. He had 2 more chances last night and just like ever other time FAILED !!! That poor choice by the coach and ownership is going to haunt this team for several more years. Its tough to stay a Vikings fan when year after year they keep finding ways to let us down

Kyhl
    Savage

That is funny. I’ve been saying that since before Bountygate. Farve was running for his life and somehow making plays.

Nothing has changed in eight years. Every season we are fed a story about how they are shoring up the offensive line but then it fails to happen.

I gave up on the Vikes six years ago saying I wouldn’t bother being disappointed until they fixed the O line. Looks like I haven’t missed much.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Last week on 3rd or 4th Down and long they keep passing 2 yard passes. Where were those passes this week on 3rd or 4th and 1 yard. They have better than average receivers, Still a top D, Average or better RB’s, A average ( At Best ) QB and a poop O line. We would have been much better off using some of that money they Paid Cousins and spent it towards a better O line and just keep the QB we had. Cousins has never came up big when needed. He had 2 more chances last night and just like ever other time FAILED !!! That poor choice by the coach and ownership is going to haunt this team for several more years. Its tough to stay a Vikings fan when year after year they keep finding ways to let us down

I certainly wouldn’t put this all on Cousins. He HAS has some very good games for the purple, but it just so happens that deficiencies in other areas have cost us (kicking in GB, defense in LA, etc). I’m willing to give the guy a chance with an SERVICEABLE O-line, which honestly the vikings haven’t had in a LONG time. Like mentioned previously, this is primarily on Spielman and Zimmer assuming that stacking the defense will make up for a well below average offensive line, but Defilippo also seems COMPLETELY out of place calling plays, and should be gone sooner than later.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I know it’s trendy now to pile on the QB (unless it’s A-Rodg), but Kirk deserves very little of the blame imo. Our offense has not looked well coordinated all year, and even when it showed signs it was only in one aspect (passing to Thielen or Diggs). Every game this year we’ve had delay of games or wasted timeouts due to the offensive being late to the line, that is 100% on the play caller. Also, I don’t know how or why DiFillippo gets any credit for Philly last year when there was an offensive head coach and OC ahead of him. Last night looked entirely like DiFillippo was pissed that Zimmer wanted a running game, so he called the most obvious and basic runs early in the game, as a middle finger to Zimmer and to say see it doesn’t work. Even if we kept Keenum, and signed a lineman w/ the extra $10 mil that gets you a Remmers type player not a game changer. DiFillippo is like a little kid who’s great at Madden Rookie level, and just wants to do what he likes best, not what puts most of his players in a position to win. He has no creativity in the run game, and despite the offensive line struggles still rarely moves the pocket, and calls a ton of slow developing play action and 5-7 step drops. If Zimmer fired him this morning, I’d be fine with it, but a little disappointed that means GB won’t be hiring him away!

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

You know its a rough season of offensive play for the purple when your longing for the days of Bob Schnelker as O Coordinator!! The older fans will get this. We just aren’t that good this year.

zooks

You know its a rough season of offensive play for the purple when your longing for the days of Bob Schnelker as O Coordinator!! The older fans will get this. We just aren’t that good this year.

And the f’ers boo him…

Agree here, Vikes just aren’t very good right now. O line has been bad (Elflien and Remmers are a problem), play calling is stale and doesn’t have a purpose, and Kirk is really gun shy right now.

Can’t blame the defense about the rushing yards when they’re on the field the whole game either. Vikings plays per drive in the first half: 5,6,4,4 with 12 minutes of possesion and all ended in punts. Really tough spot to put your defense in, offense has to do their part, too.

Kirk has to play better, no doubt, but the whole offense is a mess.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Terrible Offensive Line AND bad play calling. Definetely tension between DiFillipo and Zimmer and it’s showing on the field.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Defense did their part yesterday, big time. Just like they did in New England, and just like they did in Chicago. Our offense is horrific right now. The ONLY drive we even sniffed the endzone on required another circus catch from Diggs.

I think a lot of it is the O line, but a lot on the play calls too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more inept screen pass team in my entire life. Normally you’d expect a decent screen pass here or their to keep their D-line honest. Every game we have 2-3 miserable looking screens where our RB is already wrapped up before the ball gets there.

Can’t drop back and let receivers get open because O line sucks, can’t throw a screen pass, can’t run the ball. Not a good formula for success. I’d love to see them just go full no huddle, that was the only way we moved the ball anywhere against the Bears. Get to the line quick and don’t let the defense scheme our pitiful offense/play calls, as most defenses seem to know where the ball is going better than our offense does.

The only enjoyable part of the game last night was listening to Bobby Wagner be mic’d up, I will try to find the clip.

“…THEY CAN’T THROW AND THEY CAN’T PASS IT, WHAT ARE THEY GONNA DO?!”

Those are uhhhh, the same thing. But maybe we are so bad at running the ball he didn’t even consider that an option?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

We are going to just fall into that 2nd wildcard spot most likely too:

Carolina, Washington, Philly all would need to get an extra win over us since we have the tie.

Carolina has to play the Saints twice, and NO is fighting for #1 overall seed. Most likely will go 1-2, but if we win one game, they’d have to go 2-1. If we get 2 or more wins we are in.

Washington started Mark Sanchez this week.

Philly has to play LA and the Texans still.

I hate to say it, but GB is right back in the playoff picture, but they have to win out. Miami just beat the Patriots, and if our offense is as anemic going forward I don’t see us walking over them or the Bears. The only good thing is GB plays the Bears this week, and Chicago will still be playing hard.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

what a classless thing to do, let a coach go and it’s not even the end of the season!

zooks

Can’t say I’m surprised, Zimmer has been fed up for a few weeks.

Stefanski got screwed last winter, blocked from a promotion to the Giants while watching DeFilippo get a promotion to come to the Vikes. Not saying Stefanski submarined it this year but I’m hopeful he’ll do a good job and he can get the full time job going forward.

zooks

hah hah

what a classless thing to do, let a coach go and it’s not even the end of the season!

LOL, good one

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.