Im New to Minnesota can you guys help me get on some crappies im a shore fisher

• steve church

I recently moved up to minnesota and want to get on some crappies I heard crappies are really good tasting I havent fished much but would like to feed the fam

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Your gonna have to take the family with in order to feed them all.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Soon the water temps will be right for shallow crappies. Find a lake with a good population and see where you can access the shoreline and give it a go with a flu flu under a bobber tipped with a crappie minnow and you should have some success. Think shallow bass type cover, wood etc.. and muddy northern bays are best, you just need to find the warmest water with cover.

Justin riegel

What part of the state do you live in? MN is big state.

10klakes

Start shore hopping lakes local to you with parks or whatever public land there is. Because you are shore based I’d focus on access first then surveys…
    Finding a lake with excellent populations of crappies does no good if there isn’t places to shore fish, besides the boat ramp.

CaptainMusky

I would search the MN DNR website for lake survey data in the area that you live and go from there. You can often find a public fishing pier on many lakes and do well. MN is good for public access fishing for sure.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There’s always a shore full on clear lake. They are catching crappies right now

Justin riegel

He is referring to the Clear Lake in Forest Lake. I have never fished so i am not sure how big they run, but that shoreline is always pretty busy.

CaptainMusky

He is referring to the Clear Lake in Forest Lake. I have never fished so i am not sure how big they run, but that shoreline is always pretty busy.

Yeah there are probably 300 clear lakes in MN LOL

LabDaddy1

And probably 300 shore fishermen on that particular one rotflol

Erik Swenson

Try Crooked lake in near you in Coon Rapids/Andover. It’s been loaded with them in the past. Smallish, but sortable. Lot’s of little bluegills to keep you and the kids busy too.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

5 or 6″ crappies at best. tried it last week. People keeping every fish caught. No kidding

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

5 or 6″ crappies at best. tried it last week. People keeping every fish caught. No kidding

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I have never tried it and don’t fish that lake. But I don’t give up my own spots on the internet. And I was trying to help the guy.

WSAF
    Western WI

This time of year, just drive around Tonka. You’re bound to find groups catching ’em.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m not real sure where in Minnesota you live. But if you are in the St. Cloud area there are a fair # of shore fishing spots out on the horseshoe chain that you can catch some crappies and sunfish from. Just take a drive around the various parts of the lake and you will find some active spots

tim hurley

Work with a guy who shore fishes a lot including ‘tonka-he did well in March but now is waiting for warmer water. I was out yesterday on a lake that has a great shallow bite that was empty yesterday even with the sun heating the shallows-should get good soon though.

Snake ii’s

Drive the area lake’s shorelines – you will find out where the locals gather.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Drive the area lake’s shorelines – you will find out where the locals gather.

x2
    Find a group fishing from the shore. Join them and B.S. Tell them what you said in the op. Most are out just trying to have a good time and are willing to talk. Talking to the local bait shop is another great way to get some information about the area you are in. Best of luck.

Riverrat

Use Google maps in satellite view, and look for bare dirt areas along roads by lakes in your area that look trampled down.

Ryan Burnham

Lived on Crooked last summer and that lake is infested with 4-5 inch sunfish. It’s about all you’ll catch out there these days lol

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.