798 hummingbird on the ice

• bruce anderson

About three to four years ago I bought a 385ci ice fishin package. I used it on my boat and for ice fishing. It has a navionics chip in it, and it worked as well as any h2o and you could still read fish. Now I have bought a 798cisi and I put it on that old 385 base and it has a lake master plus chop in it. I could not believe how awesome this set up worked. My question is why hasn’t hummingbird pushed this issue! It’s a setup that can be used as a flasher, a lake master chip user, and you can put it on your boat in the summer.

Bass_attack

I think the main thing is your battery is drained quickly with that unit. Have you experienced this?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My 597 on ice goes a full weekend plus easily on one battery. Smaller screen but still should last a full day.

Can’t imagine using flashers, the 2d allows so much more over them I’m surprised more fisherman don’t utilize these as well.

bruce anderson

Honestly I have not. The battery did get low,but that was on the third day.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run the 788 on Ice and it is also the 3rd unit on the boat.

Works great.

I wanted summer waypoint information while ice fishing.

Used my 898 prior to buying the 788.

Now bird offers the helix which will be slightly better in terms of size, screen clarity, and battery consumption.

M. Rowe

I have a the same unit in my boat. Can I ask if you were out on the ice or in a shack? I was leery about the screen pixels freezing. Also, did you see a “lag” in your jigging and what was being seen on the screen? I have heard that is an issue with the Humminbirds.
    Just asking because I’d like to know.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It’s not as fast as a marcum.
    Slight lag.

Freezing not an issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.