2022 Minnesota Vikings

• Karry Kyllo

Was telling folks watching game Kurt was going to get roasted if they lost. Mostly unwarranted. That pass that was a clear decoy route he is going to get blasted. At the game was a clear 3rd or 4th check down. Never should have been an option.

His name is Kirk.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Let me guess you live in Green Bay Pitter?

probably not? there are hoards of em in MN because sconi is a right to work state.

queenswake
    NULL

This is not a typical Vikings ending. This one was pretty much a game where one team had to lose and it was us. *Shrug*. Feels good not to have a complete meltdown like we usually do.

With ice fishing seasons in the weird state it’s in, now time to focus on open water prep and planning out trips.

tim hurley

Offense, defense & special teams need to be at least good to go anywhere in the playoffs. 2 out of 3 & some luck will not get you to the big dance.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Let me guess you live in Green Bay Pitter?

probably not? there are hoards of em in MN because sconi is a right to work state.

shock

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

We didn’t lose the game because of Cousins no shape no how. We lost the game because of our defense. Get a new DC please. However, that last play did Cousins no favors. At least give someone a CHANCE for a first down. In the end, does it really matter? Same old sh/t.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

So why wait til 6 minutes left in the game to start blitzing? Past defensive schemes had showed alot more pressure than just 4 guys tiring them selves out.

dirtywater

I’m not a vikes or cousins fan but on that last play— why even have that short route in the tree? Don’t even give him an option to throw to someone that short. To me that’s on KOC and/or hockenson to know based on the coverage that running that route to that depth is gonna be a bad thing.

Ripjiggen

Ron Johnson talked about it in the post game. He ran his route short. He said no way is that his route depth on that play.:???:

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The Vikings just added to their NFL record most post-season losses. Not quite as bad as the Twins, but getting close. I’m sure if you include the Wild and Wolves we would hold some major futility titles. doah

Tlazer

I saw an earlier post that put the Pack ahead of the Vikings next year, which may or may not happen. I think the Lions may be the team to beat in the North. They will have 2 first round picks again this year and they have been drafting quality players lately. Both the Vikings and Pack need to fire their DC because they both stink. Wonder if either team will though.

Attachments:
    1. D337297E-2EB9-4642-A164-E27D16D15B09.jpeg

Ripjiggen

Defense has no where to go but up. I think.

Charles

The defense needs to be address, I swear they are out there just drooling and picking there butts. Ed Donatell needs to be fire immediately, anybody remember last week when the defense just stood around and let the other play score. Seriously WTF!

Brittman

The starting 11 defensive player’s individual grades at each of their positions are mostly middle of the road if not above average … that should have put the Vikings’ total team defense in the middle of the pile and not third from last.

What is the old saying ? … Defense wins _________

The bend and do not break philosophy is flawed in that it often puts your offense in such poor starting field position.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Personally I thought this season would end way more traumatically! rotflol

Defense has been terrible for about 4-5 years now, as much as I like a few individual players (Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Hunter) they need to break it up and start anew. And starting at the top Donatell should be gone. Whole new LB core, and need 2-3 more secondary guys, if Cine and Booth come back and play well. If they don’t then need about 4-5 more secondary guys. Pat P was alright for most of the year, but don’t see him as necessary at his salary. Hunter and Z’Darius are a tougher decision as those positions are harder to replace, and expensive to do so.

Ripjiggen

Personally I thought this season would end way more traumatically! rotflol

Defense has been terrible for about 4-5 years now, as much as I like a few individual players (Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Hunter) they need to break it up and start anew. And starting at the top Donatell should be gone. Whole new LB core, and need 2-3 more secondary guys, if Cine and Booth come back and play well. If they don’t then need about 4-5 more secondary guys. Pat P was alright for most of the year, but don’t see him as necessary at his salary. Hunter and Z’Darius are a tougher decision as those positions are harder to replace, and expensive to do so.

You will never be able to count on Booth. He hasn’t been healthy since junior high. He will be lucky to ever play half a season in the NFL. Frankly I think he was a waste of a pick.
    Somehow they are going to have to revamp a D with only 4 draft picks and about 8 mill currently in cap space.
    Kwesi has his work cut out for himself.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I can’t defend Kirk on the last play. I get he was about to get killed and JJ was double covered but you gotta at least give the team a chance. Sucks because he was really pretty damn good in the game up until that throw.

The real problem is this defense. Stagnant play calling and not enough guys that do their jobs. All season we saw missed assignments, no contain, and not much speed. I think Kendricks is done. He gets burned every time he is covering someone.

KOC also needs to improve the consistency of his playcalling. Too many games our offense was rolling and instead of keeping that going he’d change the playcalling and throw in gimmicky plays and it would stall the offense for a quarter or even two.

I think the promising thing here is it’s KOC and this teams’ first year together and they won 13 games. HOPEFULLY we can get some of the bad contracts off this team (Kendricks, Cook, Theilen restructured or gone), and we can add to the defense.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Somehow they are going to have to revamp a D with only 4 draft picks and about 8 mill currently in cap space.
    Kwesi has his work cut out for himself.

Yeah I expect to see a lot of moves this offseason cutting high paid vets, and restructuring a few as well. I don’t think Cook, Kendricks or Thielen will be back, at least at their current contract #’s, and 2 of the 3 won’t be back at all I don’t think.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Z Smith and H Smith could be gone too. A’s cap hit is $12 million and Harry’s is $9 I believe. I don’t think they can afford to lose Harry in the secondary but I’d be fine without Z.

JEREMY
    BP

Z Smith lookd tired or bored. Seemed almost every time he lined up on the outside he was just standing there when the ball was snapped.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Z Smith and H Smith could be gone too. A’s cap hit is $12 million and Harry’s is $9 I believe. I don’t think they can afford to lose Harry in the secondary but I’d be fine without Z.

Za’Darius could be cut without a huge cap h it, but his contract isn’t too terrible. Harrison Smith restructured/extended in 2021 and really the only option is to ask him very very nicely and with a big increase in guaranteed money to restructure.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Harrison Smith carries a $19.2 million cap hit in 2023.
    Josh Mettellus carries a $1 million cap hit in 2023.

Adam Thielen carries a $19.9 million cap in 2023
    Dalvin Cook carries a $14.1 million cap hit in 2023
    Eric Kendricks carries a $11.4 million cap hit in 2023
    Za’Darius Smith carries a $15.6million cap hit in 2023
    Danielle Hunter carries a $13.1 cap hit in 2023

That’s just a to list a few that need work. Cut, restructure or Trade?
    There’s a lot more so I really expect some major changes before next year.
    JJ will be due an extension and paying for that alone will cost a LOT.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The only “bet” I made before the game was telling people that my prediction was the defense would allow everything under the sun, give the game away, and we’d still see plenty of people put the loss on Kirk and that he “can’t win the big one.” I do think some fans have come around on him but I can’t believe the people out there that still think he’s “the problem.”

Fun year and honestly the end result wasn’t a whole lot different than what I expected? Early on they were winning games and the mantra from fans and experts alike was “look at this record, and they haven’t even figured themselves and their identity out yet.” Eventually it became “alright there is no figuring it out, this is who they are.”

I like KOC and they’ve got plenty of playmakers on offense, even if it doesn’t include Cook and Theilen next year (I’m fine with both). Having said those positives, there’s part of me that wants to say “buckle up” for the next year or two. Others have done a good job explaining some of the situations we’re in. I still maintain that a variable that’s going to be forgotten by a lot of fans is that the Vikings will be playing a first-place schedule next year. Their schedule already looks pretty tough. As we sit here in January (so a lot can change) is there much drastic separation/difference between the Vikings/Lions/Packers? Yet their schedules will be very different. Hoping for the best but if the Pack somehow hit on all their variables and Detroit keeps improving I could see the Vikings as low as third in the division next year with that schedule, their low number of picks for immediate help, and there never-ending predicament of (as of now) not a lot of cap room.

Aboxy17

I am putting most of the blame on Ed he should have been fired 7 weeks ago. I know pff grades are meaningless to some degree but for whatever it’s worth 10 of our 11 starts have an over 70 grade which means above average. Our CBs are both rated top 10 individually. I think more of the blame is on coaching not personal. I would have liked to see what Zimmer would have done with hunter and smith in a 4-3. I was at the game so it just made the pain a little more real. I think I have already made it through the 5 stages of greif.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I am putting most of the blame on Ed he should have been fired 7 weeks ago. I know pff grades are meaningless to some degree but for whatever it’s worth 10 of our 11 starts have an over 70 grade which means above average. Our CBs are both rated top 10 individually. I think more of the blame is on coaching not personal. I would have liked to see what Zimmer would have done with hunter and smith in a 4-3. I was at the game so it just made the pain a little more real. I think I have already made it through the 5 stages of greif.

Totally agree, but I’d add this defense was bad under Zimmer too. Not sure how the defense has continually been at or near the worst in the league, far below the sum of the parts.

Tlazer

Found this one funny as Kirk doesn’t get a lot of respect

Attachments:
    1. 94B17EEA-02F8-49AE-A518-5A2C84E721DC.jpeg

ThunderLund78

I’m already over it as well. Fun season, no way we’re going to make it through 3 weeks of actual, consistent high-level competition.

KOC brought in a great culture but inherited much of last year’s personnel. Next year is truly going to start the “rebuilding.” we’re going to lose some big names in the off-season, but it will probably be for the better. We will also have a new DC and scheme to install. I pray the collaboration kabala at TCO can put together a better draft this year. But it’s going to be a couple of years before we see another season record like this one. My prediction for next year’s NFC north is

1.Lions
    2.Packers
    3.Vikings
    4.Bears

with 2 and 3 being interchangeable on account of the Rogers situation. #2 if he stays, #3 if he goes.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Harrison Smith carries a $19.2 million cap hit in 2023.
    Adam Thielen carries a $19.9 million cap in 2023
    Dalvin Cook carries a $14.1 million cap hit in 2023
    Eric Kendricks carries a $11.4 million cap hit in 2023
    Za’Darius Smith carries a $15.6million cap hit in 2023
    Danielle Hunter carries a $13.1 cap hit in 2023

I anticipate all of these guys are either cut, or significantly restructured. Also, depends on the dead cap for cutting them too, which is huge for Harrison so he’s pretty much going to be back at his current salary or guarantee more on a restructure.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,051 through 1,080 (of 1,219 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.