2022 Minnesota Vikings

• blank

Mike Florio is a football writer/commentator. I’m glad he won’t be on the Vikings staff. He’s not qualified.
    Brian Flores is a football coach/coordinator.
    Not the same guy.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If anyone had any desire to see Mike Florio be the new DC…I think that chance just fly out the window.
    He did an interview with Paul Allan and totally shredded Kirk Cousins.
    Pretty sure KOC or the Wilfs wouldn’t hire him after his comments about their QB.

Might be true as hell but no way they want that in the locker room.

Mike Florio is a regular guest on 9-Noon, and a media member that owns PFT and works for NBC. That would be a big jump to DC! whistling

CaptainMusky

Mike Florio is a football writer/commentator. I’m glad he won’t be on the Vikings staff. He’s not qualified.
    Not the same guy.

That is quite a funny mixup though LOL

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

rotflol

He shreds Kirk every chance he gets. He’s all about stirring people up. That’s it. Used to be a lawyer. That’s all you need to know about him.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Not the same guy.

I can’t believe I did that. I’m normally the guy that points out somebody else’s flub!
    Good grief. Thanks for pointing out my error guys. toast

So there’s still a chance of getting Brian Flores? Whoever the hell he is. jester

CaptainMusky

So there’s still a chance of getting Brian Flores? Whoever the hell he is. jester

Hes the guy that was blasting the Miami ownership and NFL hiring practices for being black and they wanted the team to tank. Hes a helluva coach and has a lot of legitimate gripes about what happened to him.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Hes the guy that was blasting the Miami ownership and NFL hiring practices for being black and they wanted the team to tank. Hes a helluva coach and has a lot of legitimate gripes about what happened to him.

Yeah, he’s an awesome coach and leader. He also led Miami to 9-8 and 10-6 records the last 2 years, prior to getting Tyreek Hill, a competent offensive line and Tua’s first year starting and Fitzmagic at QB those 2 years. But everyone thinks McDaniel is kid genius.

stout93
    Becker MN

Sounds like Brian Flores Wiki page was just updated saying he is the current DC of the Vikes…

edit…it was updated last night I guess and today it has been changed..

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Florio, it is. toast razz

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Yeah just heard Brian Flores is the new DC. Would have to think this is a pretty good hire

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think so. It was the first move I wanted them to make the second I heard he was in town for the interview. Very aggressive. Ran the most Cover 0 of any team when he was with the Dolphins. Makes the QB move and causes a lot of confusion for the O line and the QB. Only issue I see with it is it relies heavily on the defensive backs so we better get some in the off season!

Dan
    Southeast MN

I like it. One of the better names on the market for DC and we got him. He’s had some success and seems to get a lot of respect, so it might even help in free agency if guys want to play for him.

He’ll have a tall task fixing what’s been an awful defense for 3 years. Could have 6 or so different starters on that side of the ball. Maybe 2 of those spots could be filled by guys like Cine, Dantzler and Evans who were hurt some or most of this year, but still a lot of holes to fill in the front 7 with maybe half the draft class a team is used to. A friend of mine kept talking about how we should draft a WR high to have a solid WR2 with Thielen likely leaving. I’d be satisfied with an all-defense draft, I feel like things have gotten that bad.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Flores is a great coach. Unfortunately oue defense is in shambles. We have a lot of older guys that will likely be cut and our younger guys are all injured

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A friend of mine kept talking about how we should draft a WR high to have a solid WR2 with Thielen likely leaving. I’d be satisfied with an all-defense draft, I feel like things have gotten that bad.

Osborne can replace Thielen for a fraction of the cost. All the draft picks should be on defense.

Aboxy17

The sad part is all our draft picks were on defense last year, Welp. Not a great first draft for the GM. He gets some credit for the Hockenson trade but other than that it’s been ugly.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The sad part is all our draft picks were on defense last year, Welp. Not a great first draft for the GM. He gets some credit for the Hockenson trade but other than that it’s been ugly.

Evans showed some promise. Same with that LB we took in the 3rd. And we also got an all pro punter as a UDFA. The high end picks were all injured before their season got started.

I dont like the raeger deal

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not confident that we will draft anyone of significance with this franchise. Plus, we have limited picks this year so I’m sure we will trade down to gain more picks and water our talent down even more.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Flores is a great coach and leader, hopefully he sticks around for a couple 3-4 years. Which might be necessary to turn this defense around. On the flip side defense is a lot easier to turn around than an offense, as there’s a deeper FA pool (no top end QB/WR/OT’s make it to FA typically) and more talent found later in the draft. Going to be a VERY interesting offseason for Kwesi and the folks at TCO.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Sadly its going to take more than a Top Def. Cord. to turn this Def. around anytime soon. To fix all the problems they have on Def. you need $ or some top draft picks. Two things this team has neither of. Now if he can stay around for a few seasons who knows.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Sadly its going to take more than a Top Def. Cord. to turn this Def. around anytime soon. To fix all the problems they have on Def. you need $ or some top draft picks. Two things this team has neither of. Now if he can stay around for a few seasons who knows.

I would agree but keep in mind this is the NFL. Most NFL teams can go from being 20 MIL over the cap to 20M under the cap with the snap of a finger just by cutting some players. The Vikings are no different. Last time i checked we were a projected 29M over the cap for 2023

Players counting over 10M toward the cap who will likely be gone or restructured

Cook
    Harrison Smith
    Theilen
    Za’Darius
    Kendricks

Players making a good chunk on the chopping block too

Jordan Hicks
    CJ Ham
    Danielle Hunter

And of course, you have the annual Cousins restructure to free up cap space that is yet to come.

The good news is you can throw out a bunch of UDFA’s and they likely wouldnt perform much worse than last years defense. We should also be getting our 2 top draft picks from last year in Cine and Booth back from injury. The bad news is our draft cupboard is a little bare this year.

Either way this was a huge signing for the Vikings

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I would agree but keep in mind this is the NFL.

Exactly, the salary cap is a bigger concern to fans than NFL teams. They move money around more than Enron lol

Brittman

Always fun to dissect and predict, but let’s see if the Viking’s management can surprise us two years in a row. 2022 was much better than I ever thought it would be … always great to go 13-4 even if it was an overachievement.

The Twins new management had a decent two-year run to start (regular season anyways), and I really enjoyed that covid shortened 2020 season. Last two years not so much.

Florio ripped on Allen the last time I heard them together. Did not hear the original Cousins trashing … but Florio did say I was NOT joking … stopped listening to most KFAN shows … once a week tops for the first two slots. Avoid the next two as much as possible.

Brittman

I posted a few (dozen?) pages ago on this thread … how bad (or maybe unlucky?) our draft picks at the CB position have been the past half dozen years. Pretty dismal success rate injury (unlucky) or otherwise (wrong guy, player makes bad decisions, etc) on 1st rounders.

Even WR … Jefferson – of course … Moss – yep … the rest of the first rounders not so much (Williamson & Treadwell) … or those that did show some potential top-shelf performance did not stand the test of time in a purple jersey (Harvin & Patterson). Sure be nice to develop another Diggs/Thielen type player at this position …

JEREMY
    BP

Didnt we already decide Mike Florio and Brian Flores are not the same guy.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Didnt we already decide Mike Florio and Brian Flores are not the same guy.

Yes we did. Brittman may have missed that.

lindyrig79

Coaching has a big impact. Even if they can’t or don’t bring in a bunch of new talent I would expect the defense to improve. Couldn’t be much worse, really.

lindyrig79

Duplicate

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

just for fun i looked back at our 1st rd picks since we drafted Moss in 98′

we have had 28 1st rd picks since Moss. 14 of those have been selected to the pro bowl. 1 of them is a lock to be a HOFer in Adrian Peterson. 2 are locks i think to be in the Vikings HOF in Kevin Willaims and Harrison Smith (Harrison Smith may be able to sniff Canton too), and 1 player, if he maintains his current career arc, will land in canton someday too in JJ.

All in all i think we did alright

By comparison the fudge packers have had 9 players drafted in that time who have made it to the pro bowl and only 1 likley to make the HOF in Erin Rodgers whistling As a matter of fact the Packers didnt draft 1 pro bowl caliber player in the 1st round from 1989-1999 and only drafted 4 total from 1980-2000

Ripjiggen

A D coordinator can make a huge difference. Take Dallas for instance in 2020 they were bottom 5 D. The New d coordinator and a linebacker drafted in first round and they moved to top ten the following year.
    Don’t think anyone is thinking Flores is going to have them ranked #1 in one season but even middle of the pack this season would have made a big difference.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m not a Flores guy but that doesn’t matter. If he does anything with this defense he will be a head coach in the next cycle.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,171 through 1,200 (of 1,219 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.