Devil’s Lake June

• Hatch99

Going to Devil’s Lake in early June staying at Grahams Island. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we should fish Walleyes? I have not been there in 5 years and I am taking a couple friends that are going for the first time. Thanks!

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

I can’t help with fishing tips, but the water will be colder than normal with this late ice out and heavy runoff. I just read that Devils is supposed to rise by about 4ft by June – crazy! It had been low the past couple of years though.

Nodakk

The lake could use the extra 4’.

You will be able to find some good fishing close to Grahams island launch. Old shorelines and sunken road beds are good targets. I like using slip bobbers in June

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Hatch sent you a private message.

Karry Kyllo

With the rising water level I don’t think you will go wrong fishing shallow either casting cranks or jigs and plastics or slip bobbering in trees.
    Then there are all the guys that like to jig around the bridges and with rising water this year, the current around the bridges could make that pretty good too.
    Bottom bouncers and spinners with crawlers fished fairly shallow should be pretty good too I’d guess.
    There are so many ways to catch walleyes on DL.
    If I mark fish outside of the trees, I know that I’ll be giving trolling cranks a try too.

Hatch99

Thank you! Sounds like I should bring a little bit of everything!

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Early June the water will still be coming in,I would fish the shallow water weeds and timber off those areas.I don’t think you can get too shallow,fishing as shallow as 1’can be productive,pitching cranks or white plastics always works this time of year.Dont forget about the feeder lakes up north if you have a smaller boat capable of launching.
    Good Luck!!

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Devils is one of the few lakes where you can go and fish how you want and you’ll catch fish. Just gotta keep an eye on the electronics. Size can hit or miss in the summer, but you can almost always scratch together a good limit. I like shoreline structure and the golden highway.

Hatch99

Thank you! I definitely want to try the Golden Highway. I have never fished a structure like that before.

Hatch99

Just a few more days and we will be there! We are pretty pumped up! I bought way too much additional tackle! I sure hope the number 5 Flicker Shads work! I have every color under the rainbow 🌈 now!

Hatch99

Even the Fleet Farm exclusive colors! yay

Karry Kyllo

Just a few more days and we will be there! We are pretty pumped up! I bought way too much additional tackle! I sure hope the number 5 Flicker Shads work! I have every color under the rainbow 🌈 now!

#5 Flicker Shads worked well for me on Saturday trolled with snap weights in 25 ft. of water trolled at about 2 mph. I’m won’t say exactly where on the lake or what color worked the best for me but after trying alot of different styles and colors of cranks I had a nice limit of nice chunky walleyes from 16 to 21 inches in just a couple of hours after I found what they wanted.
    Surface water temp was 54 to 55 degrees and I marked alot of fish at 25 feet. What first drew me to the area was a large number of pelicans feeding there.

Attachments:
    1. May-28-Devils-Lake.jpg

Karry Kyllo

#5 Flicker Shads worked well for me on Saturday trolled with snap weights in 25 ft. of water trolled at about 2 mph. I’m won’t say exactly where on the lake or what color worked the best for me but after trying alot of different styles and colors of cranks I had a nice limit of nice chunky walleyes from 16 to 21 inches in just a couple of hours after I found what they wanted.
    Surface water temp was 54 to 55 degrees and I marked alot of fish at 25 feet where I caught them. What first drew me to the area was a large number of pelicans feeding there.

Attachments:
    1. May-28-Devils-Lake-1.jpg

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

You can catch them just about any way you’d like! I love slip bobbers in the trees. Then switch to searching for bigger fish out deep or pulling cranks!

Hatch99

Thanks to everyone! Looks like we got lucky! Sounds like the weather is absolutely terrible at Devils 😈 right now! 65 degrees and 10 mph winds this weekend! Last time I was there I got a planner board caught in a tree 🌳 😅! Went zig zagging through the trees looked down at my graph and it was lighting up like a Christmas Tree 🎄! Dropped the slip bobbers down and caught numerous walleyes! grin

Hatch99

Leaving tomorrow at 5 am from Mille Lacs! Hope to be all set up checked in and on the water by 2! How has the bite been lately? If you see a Skeeter 1825 with a 150 Yamaha 9.9 Yamaha white, blue and silver with 3 guys stop by and say hi 👋! We are staying at Grahams Island 🏝! Good luck to everyone! devil peace yay

MX1825

Hatch
    Graham’s has a great boat launch and a store with bait. Usually everything is leeches.
    Watch the weather! Got caught in a wind storm that blew in last year. Got the boat washed inside and outside last year. A foot of water was coming over the bow at times! shock
    Stuck the trailer loading on 1st try. 1st time I ever got high 5’s on the dock for loading the boat. Wind lasted an hour. Heard on the news that night the wind reached 62 mph.

Hatch99

Thanks for the reply. We will have to delay our trip for a couple weeks. We are going to help near Alexandria after the tornadoes. Good luck to everyone!

WishIwasWiser

DL heading up to 51FT!! Bring your chest wader extensions!

MX1825

Any new Devils Lake reports? Water temp? Level up or down?
    Headed out Sunday for 4 days of fishing. Thanks.

Nodakk

I was out there a few weeks ago while the lake was still opening up. A lot of snow melt and runoff this year from the north. Would expect the water to be higher this year but don’t know for certain

Karry Kyllo

Fishing has been very good. Look shallow. The water level is almost the same as it was last year at this time.

MX1825

Thanks KK. I was hoping you would chime in. waytogo
    I heard leeches are hard to get.???

Karry Kyllo

I’m not sure. I fish cranks and plastics but I have read that slip bobbers and leeches have been producing and a friend did well with spinners and crawlers last weekend.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Mike Peluso is guiding there the next couple of weeks. He usually posts a report on his website once a week or so.

Home

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.