Good bike trails MN/WI

• Deuces

What are some of your favorites in the area?

Hitting up the root river trail end of next month, hoping to get one/two more in by end of year. For now doing the paved with road bikes, mountain bikes might come next year which opens up other trails options.

deertracker

Cuyuna is #1 in my book. If you’ve never been to the Crosby/Ironton area, you need to check it out.
    DT

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Central lakes trail that runs through Alex to Fergus and also Alex – East provides good scenery… and fishing opportunities from shore. Tough to beat it in October when the leaves are changing.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Beaver Island trails along the Mississippi River in St Cloud were my mountain bike stomping grounds for almost 5 years in college. They are pretty good. Some are very steep and borderline dangerous too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve heard good things about the Cannon Valley Trail by RW/Cannon Falls. Also in the Park Rapids/Walker area there is the Paul Bunyan Trail and Heartland Trail, and more lakes than you could fish in a lifetime.

picklerick
    Central WI

Nice area in northern WI. https://mwbiketrail.org/

Decent BBQ at Lazy Ace Saloon at HWY 47 and 51. I recommend the smoked wings and I don’t normally go for turkey sandwiches at a BBQ joint but the Firebird with jalapeno ranch is really good.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The paved paths are nice but the mountain bike trails are more entertaining. I started biking again with my son last year and there is nothing like the feeling of catching some air for the first time in decades. He would always get bored with the flat paths. I was very surprised on how many trails are out there. Google maps pulls up a bunch of trails. Main thing is to get out there and try one. Good or bad you are still off a tablet. Lebanon Hills is my favorite in the area.

MX1825

The trails in Vilas County are great. You can make a circle from St. Germain, Manatawish Waters, Boulder Junction, etc. All paved with bathrooms, repair stations, bridges, restaurants, etc. beautiful area.

Deuces

These are great thank you.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Check out the Trailbot app. It list most of the local mountain bike trails including trail conditions.

Stanley

The Beaver Island trails along the Mississippi River in St Cloud were my mountain bike stomping grounds for almost 5 years in college. They are pretty good. Some are very steep and borderline dangerous too.

I grew up by there and we rode there before it was paved and fenced off. There were some nice side trails that ran along the river and if it was a dry year we walked across the river to sportsman’s island. I haven’t been on them in 20yrs even though my parents still live close it it.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

The Bearskin trail is a nice ride it an old railroad and starts in downtown Minocqua Wi. There’s also the Razorback trail that’s in the Sayner area and paring is by an ice cream shop.

Deuces

Root river trail was phenomenal. Great shape of paths, canopied half the time which is good for hot days, and most every spot we stopped caught trout.

We started in Preston and went to Peterson, most the easy fishing was from Preston to the confluence by lansborough

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

West Central WI-
    Eau Claire-Chippewa River Trail
    Chippewa Falls-Old Abe Trail
    Dunn-Red Cedar River Trail

I have done all three. All are paved blacktop.
    I have also biked the Elroy/Sparta trail which is packed crushed limestone and features 3 railroad tunnel you can bike through. Very cool!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Dueces:

Some great mentions above already. As a skinny tire/original mtn. bike guy, many good ones mentioned and some missed. As a Wisconsin cyclist I’m more familiar with our state and living in the Northwoods the mentions by picklerick and Michael Saal can’t be missed treasures!!! And Kirk Charipar’s mentions are exception places to bikes as well!!!

The largest non-trail opportunities exist on the paved county road systems of southern MN/WI that haven’t been talked about above. Originally from the Madison area, I used to ride to a local community approximately 20 miles away and look over county road routes to do, then ride there and return to my home of Cambridge. Generally not a lot of traffic and paved, the only issues were resurfacing of the roads that occasionally took place using pea gravel. The changes in rides were variable every trip!!!

Lastly my next door neighbor and Birkie and Fat Tire Festival friend Phil Van Valkenberg wrote 7 books on places to ride in WI and I highly recommend any of them for ideas:

https://books.google.com/books?id=JZ-lSQAACAAJ&source=gbs_similarbooks

Good Luck, reach out to me if ya want; and my wife and I are getting back into this summer.

Mark

Deuces

Manitowish looks to be on the list next. Lady doesn’t have a road bike yet so keeping our daily mileage w the hybrids 40ish miles a day. Boulder junction looks like a perfect jumping off point

Thanks for the info toast

MX1825

Manitowish looks to be on the list next. Lady doesn’t have a road bike yet so keeping our daily mileage w the hybrids 40ish miles a day. Boulder junction looks like a perfect jumping off point

Thanks for the info toast

Boulder Junction is a nice little town. Stop at Gooches for a cold one. Sayner Pub is a nice spot also. Corner Store for ice cream.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.