2020 Early Ice? Where to go 11/27-12/15?

• Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

I come home (SE MN) from work (Alaska Oilfields) next week. I am off for 3 weeks, and looking for some early ice, anybody know of where a guy can find some early ice in the Minnesota or Wisco area? I want to book a VRBO or hotel near by so trying to plan ahead here. Thank you for any input.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There isn’t much as of now. But I would plan red lake

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

Thanks for the reply…That is what I am thinking, RL, but not sure on dates for booking a VRBO.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you’re lucky NW Minnesota should have walkable ice by then, but it will depend on the weather. Red Lake is a maybe, I’d be looking to smaller lakes around Bemidji or Grand Rapids but one warm up could put that in jeopardy.

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

Thanks BigWerm, Really got the itch for some ice fishing, been dealing with blizzards up here in Northern Alaska for the last 4 weeks, but hey, at least i am acclimated for the cold weather already. Maybe I will look for areas around Grand Rapids or Bemidji or Detroit Lakes? I am ok with the travel, as I will be off work, just want to find good ice, either on foot or ATV if I am really lucky.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FWIW my parents live on Lake Belle Taine in Nevis, and said it just iced over and got a dusting of snow. But the forecast doesn’t look great for stacking ice up quickly with 40’s and upper 30’s for the foreseeable future.

Deuces

Early ice in my book is a bloody before 9am.

I’ll go crawl back into my open water cave now….

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I want to book a VRBO or hotel near by so trying to plan ahead here. Thank you for any input.

Well based on how early ice prospects are looking, I’d say make any reservations toward the latest part of your time window. The later it gets, the better chances of having fishable ice.

However, the good thing is…depending on where you go, you could hold off making reservations until you’ve narrowed down location and timing. When/where there’ll be adequate ice.

If you’re able to go weekdays which it appears you can, you could make last minute reservations just about anywhere.

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

Yes that’s true, maybe jumping the gun here, but I got the itch to get out and pop some hole sin the ice. As I am sure everyone here does as well… tight lines, and ill just be watching the weather and checking in here for updates

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

URL and small lakes north of there is where I’d start. Anything much further south than that will be a longshot at best.

The temperatures on these bigger bodies of water isn’t terrible. Yes, some of the highs are in the upper 30’s to low 40’s for a day or two…but that’s rarely for more than a few hours. What will mess things up in a hurry is a big sustained wind with thin ice.

I messaged a guide on URL this morning who said their early ice season really is dependent on what happens tomorrow with the big South winds anticipated. If that wipes the slate clean for much of the lake, November fishing likely isn’t happening. If some of the ice can hold, they feel they will have a shot at walkable ice to the main break the last few days of November.

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

I am being told there is 4-6 inches on RED LAKE? Anyone confirm this?

HYPED!!!

MNdrifter

I am being told there is 4-6 inches on RED LAKE? Anyone confirm this?

HYPED!!!

Seen greater Minnesota rentals post 3” out to first break (11fow). But if the wind picks up, it can shift and break up in a real hurry. They are rescuing people up there every year.

Summerontheriver
    Minnesota & Alaska

I wouldn’t be heading up there for another week, I am thinking 12/1 so will watch weather and reports until then.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But if the wind picks up, it can shift and break up in a real hurry. They are rescuing people up there every year.

This seems to happen every year more than once in multiple places. No fish is worth drifting away from shore and then having to be rescued by helicopter. I would not want to pay that bill.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

From JR’s/Rogers side, how far is the 10-11 ft.break? I’ve been there many times but at driving ice and distance can be deceiving. About 1/4 mile??

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

From JR’s/Rogers side, how far is the 10-11 ft.break? I’ve been there many times but at driving ice and distance can be deceiving. About 1/4 mile??

Yes. We will be up there. Lots of fish to be caught within walking distance

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.