Yamaha T60 hp High Thrust outboard

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

I am looking at a new Alumacraft classic 165 tiller boat and would like to go with with a Yamaha 60hp since that would max out the hp rating for the boat. The dealer has a new Yamaha T60 high thrust that I can get a good deal on. Is there any reasons a person should not put a T60 high thrust on a boat like this instead of the F60 Yamaha? They do not have a F60 to put on it due to inventory issues. They do have a 60hp Honda I can go with instead it’s my choice. I do like the Yamahas but not sure if there would be any disadvantages and/or advantages putting the T60 on instead of the F60. Thanks

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

The only downside I can see is that the high-thrust lower unit is going to run a little deeper in the water than the standard gearcase, maybe 1-1/2″-2″. Depending on where you tend to use the boat, this may be the difference between hitting that rock/stump or not,,,,,

HRG

marineman

The high thrust version has the lower unit geared differently and is really targeted at the pontoon market.

The “biggest” impact I can think of would be your trolling speed with the motor & the fact that the motor will turn a little faster than the non high thrust version driving your trolling speed up, or you’d have to put a really flat propeller on to get your speed back down.

So, my though.. no, on a boat, a T60 may not be the best bet

Ripjiggen

I posted this on another thread but high thrust is like driving around 2nd gear vs driving around in fifth gear at WOT. It is made to move a heavier boat and not built for top end speed on a boat like yours. It’s made to push more water and have more low speed power and not really what your boat needs. Most kicker motors on larger fishing boats are high thrust for these reasons.

39degrees

I am looking at a new Alumacraft classic 165 tiller boat and would like to go with with a Yamaha 60hp since that would max out the hp rating for the boat. The dealer has a new Yamaha T60 high thrust that I can get a good deal on. Is there any reasons a person should not put a T60 high thrust on a boat like this instead of the F60 Yamaha? They do not have a F60 to put on it due to inventory issues. They do have a 60hp Honda I can go with instead it’s my choice. I do like the Yamahas but not sure if there would be any disadvantages and/or advantages putting the T60 on instead of the F60. Thanks

I cant answer the motor question. But i do know the classic 165 is a great boat!

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the info and opinions.

milemark_714

Nothing wrong with the Honda,but is probably more expensive than an F50?

DRH1175

The only real difference is prop size. I personally like the idea of a larger prop which will give you less slippage. The T model will spin a 13″ prop instead of a 10″ prop. The prop will spin slower but will also be able to turn a higher pitched prop. I don’t think you will notice much difference on a 165 as that isn’t a terribly large boat. How much of a deal are they giving you though? I wouldn’t hesitate either way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.