west metro eyes

• bioguy

Snuck out after work for a bit last night hoping to find a walleye dinner. Set up at 3PM on a sharp break coming off a large shallow flat in about 17fow. The key was being just outside of the weeds. All of the walleyes I cleaned had 3 to 4 inch perch in their bellies, so if you can find the weed edge and a bunch of small perch, the walleyes will eventually come in for dinner. Most of my fish came under a float, with a simple hook and the biggest fathead I could find hooked under the dorsal fin, set right off the bottom. My second rig was a 1/8th slender spoon with minnow head that I used to scrounge and pound the bottom. Seemed the fish would come in and look at it, and then the bobber would go down in the other hole. I did have two big ones come unbuttoned on the way up on the spoon though. I was using a new rod that has good sensitivity but just doesn’t have enough backbone to bury the hook in those bigger fish. Oh well, the ones I did land tasted great.

One other thing I noticed was that every so often my flasher would mark a bunch of clutter coming off the bottom, and I started to notice that it correlated with fish coming in. I think these eyes are rooting up the low lying bottom vegetation to flush small perch out, which is why it was key to have the minnow right off the bottom.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Very nice report and looks like you had a nice fish fry

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Great report and tips! Thats my plan of attack this afternoon/evening on a lake here in western sconnie! While listening to the pack beat up on the queens!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.