Trip of a lifetime- Waterfowl in ALASKA!

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Last week my best buddy James and I got the opportunity to hunt birds and fish in Cold Bay, Alaska with friend and guide Capt. Jeff Wasley of Four Flyways Outfitters.

It was the most miserably awesome adventure I could have ever imagined. The weather was 30 mph gusting to 50mph wind and rain squalls every 15 mins pretty much EVERY DAY! There are no roads, and it was too windy to boat, so the tundra death marches to get to the birds were just as much a part of the adventure as the actual killing.

But overall we got to do and see all the tundra had to offer and it was definitely a trip of a lifetime!!! So glad we went…..but would never go again.

The destination…..Izembek Lagoon NWR, located near Cold Bay, Alaska at the start of the Aleutian Islands. Izembek is the staging area for 95% of the worlds population of Pacific Black Brant in September and October. Around halloween they all pick up and migrate 54 hrs straight south to Baja Mexico. Needless to say Izembek is one of the only places in the world to get a shot at them.

The village of Cold Bay, Alaska.

Population: 60 drunk eskimos.

Amenities include:
    Convience store
    Liquor closet w/ $42 liters of booze and $30 12 packs.
    Bar, open Wednesday and Saturday nights only
    Runway

The “lodge”.

There are no guarantees in waterfowl hunting…..except Black Brant on Izembek lagoon! Those little crow ducks are silly stupid!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

The duck and goose hunting was a ton of work…..but pretty darn good!

She ain’t pretty, but Jeff confirmed this bird as a hen Eurasian Widgeon!!!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Awesome Awesome Pic’s Jake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

The one day the wind died enough we could boat out. Still a bumpy ride in inflatable zodiaks.

Emperor Geese…..veeeery rare, never leave the Arctic circle. Can’t shoot em.

Jeff says just think of it as a 2hr Ptarmigan hunt. Notice Ol’ one leg. Totaled a pair of rain pants and jeans on this hike.

The last day we went band hunting……Jake, shoot the one on the left….NO, the big one in middle!!! BANG, BOOM, BAND!!!! — Tarsus banded Pacific Black Brant. A true trophy of a lifetime!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Fishing wasn’t bad either!!!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Other Randoms:

Puffin!

Russian Satellite Monitoring Station…for real!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

WOW!!! I spent a week fishing last year and I simply can’t wait to go back. It’s truly a special place up there. Any good “scares” with the bears??

Thank you for sharing this adventure of a lifetime with us!!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Great pictures! I always like your posts because I wish I was there.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

WOW !!! what a fantastic adventure!!! thanks for sharing

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

I still can’t believe you didn’t bring the shed back.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

That pic of the shot hitting the water as the geese land is friggin sick. Unbelievable timing on that one. Looks like an awesome trip!!!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

awesome

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Awesome pictures Jake! Thanks for taking us along on your Alaskan waterfowl adventure!

john_steinhauer
    p4

WOW!!! Awesome pics I hope to some day be able to make a trip out there.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip! Alaska has been a dream hunt of mine for a long time. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the birds and bands Those little Aluetians are cool

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Simply AWSOME hands down the best waterfowl report 8 have ever seen! How many bands and how many species of ducks/ geese

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Wow What an Awesome trip. Thanks for sharing

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

Any good “scares” with the bears??

Kooty,

We saw maybe 10-12 bears. We had one come down a creek and “cut off” one of the guys in our group while he was out wandering for ptarmigan. He made a big loop around.

Obviously we got close enough to a few for these pictures….those were mostly near the road. We chased one down the road right through town.

There has only been 1 attack in the last 30 years there…..so they’re not too interested in humans (must have enough fish to eat). Still, we never left the house without a gun! The things are HUGE!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

Incredible adventure, I am guessing you ate darn well from looking at all you shot and caught.

Darrin,

No doubt we had some good eats! Fresh salmon anytime we wanted it…..and Brant are the fillet mignon of waterfowl. Best bird I’ve ever eaten by far.

We flew home our limits of brant and about 40lbs of salmon. The rest of the birds we gifted to locals. They were happy to have them……it’s a long winter up there.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

WTG Jake!!! Beauty pics and story from an adventure land!!!

Looking forward to my first Miss. R. hunt!!! I had an opportunity for next weekend, but the boss is going elk hunting and I have to take care of his Musky club’s fall banquet. So hopefully soon after that.

Mark

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.