last sat Pool 4

• Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I was down on pool 4 with my dad and girlfriend. It was a tough day for us out there. I heard a boat out there got a 4 man limit and boated 100 plus walleye/saugers “last hour of light. Also a bunch of flathead catfish and carp. It sounds a it fishy to me. did any one see a boat smacking them. I only saw afew fish caght on many different spots. Did the bite pick up late evening we lest around 3 or so. I figure a few would go but a long day with little action it was time for a few cold ones. This just sounds like afish story to me with all the fish and flatheads pushing 35lbs during the day in the winter. I hope it wasn’t a fish story or the bite must have rocked after we left. gotta love those tails.

jhalfen

First and last light can and often does produce a dynamite bite this time of year. We’ve often put 20-30 fish in the boat in 60-90 minutes under the right conditions. That right there is some fast fishing, and often makes up for the generally slow midday bite we experience in mid-winter.

Big flatheads….you betcha. I see pics of numbers of 20-30lb+ fish every winter.

redneck
    Rosemount

I heard the bite picked up later in the day so someone might have stumbled on the mother lode. Were you the group with the gray raingear. My boy and I fished by you a few times in the morning. We were in the green Lund. I saw an IDO sticker and was going to say something but my mind was elsewhere. That slow bite takes its toll on an old guy

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

That was me. I have had days of 60 fish or so. but I saw the boat that caught the fish and did’t see them getting them. I am sure a flat hesd or 2 may get caught but the numbers they said they caught was a bit questionable. A side note I got my 1197 fired up and it is sweet. you can see fish on the bottom, rocks, trees, wingdam layout. I just need to raise up the transducer some more as the roostertail was a sight to see. It will catch me more fish but it sure is awsome seeing the bottom debris and such. Jason did you get one yet?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Also a bunch of flathead catfish and carp.

Could happen very easily…dare devils work great this time of year on fish that normally wouldn’t bite.

..in other words, show me a “bunch” of flatheads and carp caught this time of year and I’ll show you how fast a CO can arrive when I call the TIP line.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Mike I think we fished very near each other south of Everts. I had the grey/red boat with 25 merc. I also saw the IDO sticker on ur rig. Guess I coulda spoke up… Next time!

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have a 1800 pro v tiller with a 90hp yamaha. Say hi next time.

steve-lujan
    prior lake,mn

I got about 1:30 and tried fishing around the bait fish,but the bite was slow. we caught a few sheephead and stripped bass before calling it a night.A guy loaded up behind me and said he caught one when he got out about 3:00 and then just before dark within :20 he caught the rest of his limit.I also was out in dec. and landed a 40-50lbs. flathead on 6 lbs test line and had a 5 lbs cat on the other line i let my buddy reel that one in.

JoeLarson

I’m going to pool 4 on sunday does any have any tips as to what to use? I heard jigging was the best but not sure since i haven’t fished there in a few years.

redneck
    Rosemount

Launch at Evert’s—ask who ever is behind the counter in the bait shop for the hot bait (unless it’s BrianK) and you are all set. If Brian is working ask Gus The smaller paddletails are showing promise lately—the King Ale color caught a few for us during a slow bite last weekend.

jhalfen

Quote:

I’m going to pool 4 on sunday does any have any tips as to what to use? I heard jigging was the best but not sure since i haven’t fished there in a few years.

I’ll be fishing down there Fri afternoon and all day Saturday. I’ll make sure to spill my guts to Dean before I head home on Saturday. Just ask Dean for “Jason’s update”. I’m sure it will involve jigs and ringworms.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Plan to be down early Friday and probably Sunday as well

redneck
    Rosemount

Sounds like the Redneck crew will be on the water Friday!

Hey Erick, is early Friday before noon

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

oh were all funny today will be have tomorrow night lol

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ll be down friday afternoon and all day saturday getting my open water fix.

redneck
    Rosemount

No way, you’re joining the party James!! It will be like old times except the boy has more hair on his face and I have less on my head

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Wow, I bet there is goingto be a good 20 IDO members down at everts this weekend, I may have a chance to catch a ride .

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

No way, you’re joining the party James!! It will be like old times except the boy has more hair on his face and I have less on my head

Yup, strange but true. Look for J and I in a shiny Skeeter 1950.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Should be a good time this weekend. Drewsdad, Martin V. Alvinmack, John23, myself and a few others have a cabin at Everts for the weekend. We might even do a little fishing.

stuart
    Mn.

Well if it going to be a party I’ll dig my boat out and join ya all Friday.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Quote:

Should be a good time this weekend. Drewsdad, Martin V. Alvinmack, John23, myself and a few others have a cabin at Everts for the weekend. We might even do a little fishing.

Bring it on!!!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I heard the fish weren’t going to bite this weekend until Sunday.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

I heard the fish weren’t going to bite this weekend until Sunday.

Ya heard wrong Doc,the fish are taking Sunday off,but will be going strong Fri.& Sat.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I’ll be down friday afternoon and all day saturday getting my open water fix.

Note to self: go ice fishing Fri afternoon and Sat. Avoid open water on P4.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

They are going to be recovering from sore lips on sunday after we get done with them.

redneck
    Rosemount

Easy there fellas!!! There’s enough fish that won’t bite for all of us

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

I have a 14ft Crestliner, is this enough boat for the Miss?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I have a 14ft Crestliner, is this enough boat for the Miss?

Yes it is, plenty of them out there

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Yes sir! I picked this weekend out back in December. I can’t believe it isn’t going to be -20!

dd

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Bet you are wishing you had plaid the lottery that day also.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.