what a day for p4

• Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I headed down to redwing with high hopes today. With a newly repaired motor “frozen inpellar”. The weather was to be a miricle of sun and seasonably warm tempretures for january. I stopped at Everts to get the scoop from Dean as to what was going. I dropped the boat it at the landing letting the motor soak as the marine shop told me to do to unthaw any frozon parts. I was just heading out as a few others were comming in. upon starting the motor I found it was Froze again. The dealer never fully draind the motor. Stuck down on the perfect weather on a piece of water with the impeller froze up. So I pulled the boat out wth much disapointment again and headed back to … to give them a piece. Hopefully this is the last time it will happen. If anyone know a a GOOD Yamaha shop feel free to let me know as I have had it with my current dealer. The report seamed too good to even think about most boats had a limit or close to at 12 when they left. I hope another day of mild temps arrives soon and a motor to put the hurt on a few fish.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

To bad to hear about the motor again If its not to far out of your way you may want to try giving Dan a call at Skeeter boat center and see if he can help ya out. The fishing in the afternoon wasnt fast but we did catch some fish. Going to give it a whirl again tomorrow and see what else we come up with. I should have a report up sometime thursday I hope

Here is Dan’s number, 715 833 0060. Give him a call tomorrow. Let me know if I can be of any help also

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Man that is frustrating
    Next launch is on me.Sorry for the trouble.

flatoutally
    MN

Just trying to help here, but what makes you think you have a ‘frozen impeller’? Does the motor turn over? I’m confused here….

john23
    St. Paul, MN

A frozen impeller wouldn’t have stopped me from heading up to the dam, but then again it always seems like I’m fixing something on my old boat!

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

It was the impeller for the water pump. So the engine over heats. I didn’t wants to put all the way to the dam and back with a hot engine. Thats costs alot more to repair. The engine would still turn over with a frozen impeller it just wont pump water. The impeller is a plastic and rubber deal so it just snaps and its over. I hope to be out on Fri if weather isn’t too bad. I got the boat back today no cost to me. of course.

Has anyone else had any problems like that with winter fishing and if not what do you guys do to prevent an issue?

jhalfen

My motor often takes a few (3-8?) minutes to warm up before it start to “pee”. No big deal really….I just tie up to the dock, run the motor at idle, drink another cup of coffee, and by the time that’s done the motor usually has a nice stream going.

I did that for several winters with my Johnzuki 115 4/s…that motor never missed a beat, summer or winter. Doing it now with my Suzuki 175…dealer just gave it a clean bill of health.

I wouldn’t hesitate to let the motor idle until it starts to pee. Remember that you’re operating at 30 degrees or below air temp with a motor block that is just as cold, or colder. It will take a while (quite a while) to heat up to the point that your overtemp warning begins to sound. In fact, that’s never happened to me while waiting for the motor to start to pee.

So, next time, tie up to the big dock, enjoy another cup of Dean’s brew, and grab another bag of plastics while the motor idles. I’d bet dollars to donuts that it’ll work out just fine.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

So the engine over heats.

Were you getting an alarm? Or do you have a temp guage? Just curious.

-J.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I run a 115 yamaha , when it is below freezing it dosn’t pee until it gets warmed up. There is nothing to worry about I’ve been doing it for years with no problems.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I was gettting a warning indicator. The Impeller was frozen and broke thats 2 for me. ! my fault the other was dealers. It only took about 5 minutes for a warning buzzer. At that time still no water pumping. But should be good to go now. Fingers crossed.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Just make sure the motor is vertical after loading up so all the water can drain when done for the day.Ice will chew up a impeller in no time.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I even go so far to turn over my motors once on the trailer force any further water out of the motor.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

I even go so far to turn over my motors once on the trailer force any further water out of the motor.

Just curious when you do this; do you let the engine fire and quick turn it off or do you pull the kill swith cord and then turn it over?

kooty
    Keymaster

Tether on, it’s for a second only. Might turn over twice/three times… It tends to spin the impeller just enough to push some excess water out if you watch.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Same here. If it does fire, just a bonus. That will blow all the water/moisture ouf of the exhaust ports.

-J.

jhalfen

Quote:

Me too. I tilt all the way down and back up a few times, then go all the way down and turn the motor over. I let it run for a couple of seconds and then turn it off.

Remember that the motor has been sitting in and cooled by VERY cold water for a long time. Turning over and idling briefly on land won’t hurt a thing.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’ve tried warming mine up at the landing a time or two also by starting a little early. Funny how loud that is and fast you reach to trim down.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.