Suspending Rattling Shap Raps

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Went to Joes in St Paul and they were out of #7 Shap Raps. They did have suspended rattling #7s. I am sure they will catch fish, but are they as good? better? Depends on conditions?

Just wondering before I toss the receipt. Thanks

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Ive not had much luck with any of the “new” shad raps…. maybe Im just “old fashioned”…. but the old balsa ones work pretty darn good….. and Ive not found a shad rap to replace them….

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey Dave,

That’s all I caught fish on this spring down on Pepin. I haven’t tried them up in our neck of the woods much, but did catch fish the few times I’ve pulled them. I just like the wally divers better up in the dirty water, better vibration. I think all in all they are good plugs.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Northeastern,

I’ve found I get best results when the crankbait bumps bottom from time to time, but not constant contact. The occasional bump on bottom both lets you know you are in the range and the sound and action it produces trigger strikes. I’m fairly new to walleye fishing also, and I’ve learned a tremendous amount of valueable info on this site. Keep checking here and posting questions, you will absolutely become a better eye fisherman for it. No better place on the net!

I use the suspending baits, Wallydivers mostly, on wing dams. Crank until I hit the rocks a couple ticks, then pause for a few seconds and let the bait set. I am trying to imitate a stunned bait fish and so far it has worked GREAT!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

ahhh… guess I was in a trolling mind set… for casting.. the suspending baits work good.. they throw better….. and that stop and go (which is a bit harder to achieve trolling)… is a trigger……

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I actually like the suspending cranks a little more than the old ones for pulling behind snap weights, and in-line weights in deep water. What I DON’T like is when I have a break off, I cannot ever find my lure floating back up to the surface! The old ones seemed to float up within a minute or so, and I could keep a few $$$ in my wallet. I don’t believe they worked that much better compared to the old reliables. I do not really care for the new colors in either the SR’s or the Thundersticks. Anyone from Normark reading????????

Tuck

Keith
    NE Iowa

Dave B,

You can use the RS shad raps for trolling, but I think they were originally designed for casting. They are heavier and have a larger bill to get down and dive faster.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The RS shad raps have been my top producing CASTING crank this year…. hands down, but in trolling situation they’ve produced poorly at best when compared to the old balsa models. So far…..

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

We trolled them out in Devils Lake, ND for three days straight on lead core and they out produced regular raps during that time. We pulle the size 4. I thought they were real touchy to tune but worth it. I’m going to be giving them more of a workout in the future. I think they are one of the very few good moves Normark has made recently but that is another topic.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

I use and abuse the #5s. Thumbs up is all I’m gonna say. Lawrence

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.