maiden rock

• superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

any reports on ice conditions here?? or fishing reports? thanks

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

no ones been out and about around Maiden rock area?? Frontenac fishing??

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m sure foot traffic has be out from there. I know that people are walking out from Frontenac and the two places seem to go hand in hand. The wingdam at Frontenac was late to ice over, if its even completely ice over yet, and that may have vehicle travel nixed yet.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

I am looking to find some walleyes this weekend and was considering Maiden Rock. I have not fished out on these flats on the ice. It sounds like it can be hit or miss, more often than not miss from what I have read but it would beat fishing the metro lakes. Has anyone been able to dial in a consistent bite in this area over the past few years?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m thinking that the reactor at Prairie Island is running at 1/2 capacity yet and that the ice should be fairly decent given the lack of snow. The last time the reactor was running under low a couple years back the fishing was actually pretty decent all across the river from maiden Rock to Frontenac and even above Frontenac. Never know…give it a shot.

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

I fished down there a lot 2 years ago when we had good ice and did ok–get out on flats out and up by channel somewhat–used raps with a fathead or jigging spoons–mornings and afternoons did ok–but that was then

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Is this more of a sauger bite? Or can decent walleyes be found as well?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Decent walleye? I thought they all were decent. lol

Its more of a sauger bite but you’ll find waldo hanging out with them. If you are looking for constant four pound fish action, go elsewhere. Every once in a while someone will stick a nice walleye….3-6 pounds….but if you want to go home with a limit of those fish you’d better stay off the ice and bring the boat to fish the open water. Day in, day out on pool 4 the consistently best “better fish” fishing will be in a boat.

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

Yeah as stated its a sauger bit–but I love eating them!! most are keepers-but like I say its been 2 winters since I been out there–hoping this season to get out–good luck–if you go tell me how you do??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.