P4 water conditions?

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

No,…. Not flow or flood. Hows the water clarity now? Is it getting dirtier yet?

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Typically this time of year I am watching daily on the conditions of the Rainy River and planning my spring run up there.
    This year I can’t make it up there. Instead, a group of us will be launching out of Everts and fishing in that area on April 1st.
    Don’t know much about the area, the bite related to the river conditions, or just what exactly to expect.
    I assume the bite is very similar to the RR bite in that if there is too much run off too fast – things dirty up. Do things drastically slow like they do up there?
    We are not chasing numbers but more so big fish. How do you think our timing will be.

The game plan is to drag moxies/ringworms and vertical jig as plan B.

Any info. is appreciated. Good luck to all those going.

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Bummer, Rainy is a dream trip. Pool 4 is a great fishery but, dealing with all the traffic is a joke in spring. One guy tried to hit me with his fishing rod last year because we were in his spot. Hope you have fun, I enjoy getting away from the stupidity that goes on with pool 4 during this period. Good tactics… don’t forget the pitching jigs or blades the big girls tend to go early and late in the day on that.

mojogunter

It can be just as bad or worse on the rainy. The weekends can be brutal. I will only fish during the week up there.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

I assume the bite is very similar to the RR bite in that if there is too much run off too fast – things dirty up. Do things drastically slow like they do up there?
    We are not chasing numbers but more so big fish. How do you think our timing will be.

The game plan is to drag moxies/ringworms and vertical jig as plan B.

Any info. is appreciated. Good luck to all those going.

Your game plan is just fine – for all you’ve planned. Pitching shallow is also a must for that time of year too. Like Rainy, the only thing that could/can put the hurt on you would be real dirty water, which does tend to slow the bite. Flood and flow fishing are much the same as the Rainy otherwise. Fish it like a river – with your planned river tactics – and you’ll do just fine. Keep in mind that you don’t have to fish by the dam to have a good time either.

Everts: Thanks for the H20 clarity report too!

amundsonjon
    wi

quite a bit more flow than last week and a little grass and debris. water temp droped some also. still good fishen though would like to see the end of this cold spell good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.