pitching question

• josh a

Are you guys using swivels when throwing jigs and blades? I like to use them for the ease of changing colors, but could it be costing me fish?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

No…a duo loc snap on the blades (a swivel will foul the blade unmercilessly)
    Direct line tie on jigs (always) for me…I have fished several times with either clients or friends in my boat using snap swivels while pitching jigs and, invariably, they caught considerably less fish than those of us direct tying. The snapswivel also collects more debris when pitching the river than direct tie and adds weight to make the jig dive/sink faster while working it…not good.
    I change jig colors very little during a day of pitching on the river…I change my plastic color more. The water clarity does not change very fast.

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Quote:

No…a duo loc snap on the blades (a swivel will foul the blade unmercilessly)
    Direct line tie on jigs (always) for me…I have fished several times with either clients or friends in my boat using snap swivels while pitching jigs and, invariably, they caught considerably less fish than those of us direct tying. The snapswivel also collects more debris when pitching the river than direct tie and adds weight to make the jig dive/sink faster while working it…not good.
    I change jig colors very little during a day of pitching on the river…I change my plastic color more. The water clarity does not change very fast.

X2

scott-k
    Red Wing

X3 – Tom says it just right!

josh a

I’m fairly new to pitching jigs on the river. It kinda felt like I was doing it almost right but not completely. I appreciate the advice Tom, its nice to have people to turn to to shorten the learning curve

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Same here. Cross lock snaps on blades and cranks. Tie direct to jigs. A good river fisherman is not afraid to tie a knot when needed. It almost gets to a point your hands tie those knots with out even thinking about it. Well at least until you need cheaters to see what you are doing.

David Grosulak
    Pool 2

My knot tying is down to a T, it seems like I’m retying every 5 casts.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Learn to enjoy tie knots Dave. It will make life much happier. The Draggin jigs save a lot on tying on new jigs. Lost my 1st one this afternoon in about 6 trips. Been casting a lot of 1/8th ounce but have really started to switch over to even the 1/16th ounce the last few trips. 1/8th are to much for the tops of most dams right now unless the wind is really blowing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.